Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Riots around the world will happen in the US. That's a good one. -Reel
Yes, and didn't some Russian "scholar" just predict the imminent end of the United States? I forgot to check my calendar; apparently this is the Year of the Predictions. Everyone and their mother-in-law is weighing in with their prognostications. I should stop what I'm doing right now and get to work on some of my own. And I will, just as soon as I find that darn tinfoil hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
I don't think there's much precedent in the US for economic downturn riots. The Depression seemed pretty peaceful on that score.

So I think the theory is bunkum.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
The Fed today announced that it was dumping 300 billion dollars into treasuries. That is a person with a credit card bill paying the minium balance with another credit card. Printing money out of thin air to buy treasuries that the US gov could not get a froeign buyer to purchase. We are funding our own debt now - it's a matter of time before inflation goes crazy. Wages will stay the same but basics ( food, medicine) will start climibing at an ungodly rate. Yeah this will start a roit this summer. Savings will be worth zip.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
With all the gangs in LA and the number of people there are the reason that it was thought to be the first to riot. If food supplies are cut off due to major economic failure or credit crisis and the food chain breaks down then LA is prime.
All that exists in the Bay Area as well. Our problems may not be as well known as L.A.'s but that doesn't mean they don't exist. And IMO they're more severe right now. We may have a somewhat better image but so did L.A. before April 1992. We're just one quake away from a Katrina type situation. imo - if riots do happen, the San Andreas giving us another "shakeup" will be the trigger.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Mayor Verg is a moron. He complains of outsourcing and then defends outrageous life long benefits. Well duh.. and protectionism doesn't work which is what his solution is. He won't call it that but instead calls it "fair trade". I understand the outrage towards wall street but again he doesn't really seem to understand they do produce... they just produce people 401ks. If he want's to focus on the dastardly deeds it's not all that hard to find people that were actually in charge. But if he needs to skirt who's really at fault, RANT!

It's like saying we shouldn't have to be competitive because we deserve more. Those people are left on the ash heap of many destroyed businesses.
Funny I think he's spot on. If I've got to contribute a billion $$$ to a 401k plan to expect a $5 yield because you entitled yourself to insane salary, you call that adding justifiable value or 'producing'? Your left rants are annoying. Put up or shut up.

------------------
Quote:
My enemy is not my fellow citizens. My enemy is lies.
Every time I find a conservative who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
Every time I find a liberal who is an enemy of lies, I find my America.
I do not care what their religion is, what generation, what color state or skin. This for me is the only 'for me or against me' affinity argument worthy of enlistment.
Let my America stand on truth. ~Harborlady

Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
:: Bersa Talk :: - Frightening if True

Here is a link to a forum that is talking about the coming unrest with unemployment at 30% and why the government is so nervous.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
It's all speculation and fearmongering.

Sometimes I think people WANT these types of things to happen.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

No, the government seems to be afraid of massive unrest coming. The troops being brought from overseas for "domestic security," for instance, wanting to cut off the supply of firearms...

Old 03-27-2009, 01:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

Practically everything in history has been caused by or solved with fear. Fear of being poor, fear of dying, fear of losing a family member or spouse, fear of getting nuclear bombed, fear of being over taken, fear of getting mugged, fear of anarchy, fear of rebellions, fear of drugs, fear of running out of oil, fear of losing your memory....etc. The whole medical industry runs on that same fear.... as do many others.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Default Catalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, the government seems to be afraid of massive unrest coming. The troops being brought from overseas for "domestic security," for instance, wanting to cut off the supply of firearms...
This thing with NK could be the shot heard round the world....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies