Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If scientists discover the cause for homosexuality, would you support finding a cure?
Yes 34 50.75%
No 33 49.25%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I disagree. If we have the SCIENCE we should use it to better mankind. I will say this- I was not really happy when I first began to notice that my son, when he was a baby, favoured using his left hand. Not because it was a "disease" but I knew he would grow up in a world dominated by right handed people and it would set him back. In the neo capitalist competitive society we live in, people need every advantage they can possibly get. If a doctor said "we can put this in the womb and make sure your boy is right handed", I certainly would have said "by all means, inject it!". Not because I dislike left handed people or think it is a disease but because I loved him enough to want him to have as normal a life as possible.
I tend to agree. My son has ADHD and if I had a nickle for all of the times during adolescence he would shriek, "I HATE being DIFFERENT!" I would have been a very rich woman. And if I could have known and had it treated, we would have made that choice. It breaks my heart that what is effortless for other young people takes such strength of will and concentration for him because, even with meds, he struggles.

I know several gay men who did NOT want to be gay and tried really hard to date women. If they knew their parents could have intervened and didn't, they would have been angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:10 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Almost anytime a homosexual is asked if being gay is a "choice", they respond that no one in their right mind would choose to be gay; they endure constant shame and ridicule.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I tend to agree. My son has ADHD and if I had a nickle for all of the times during adolescence he would shriek, "I HATE being DIFFERENT!" I would have been a very rich woman. And if I could have known and had it treated, we would have made that choice. It breaks my heart that what is effortless for other young people takes such strength of will and concentration for him because, even with meds, he struggles.

I know several gay men who did NOT want to be gay and tried really hard to date women. If they knew their parents could have intervened and didn't, they would have been angry.
I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm being serious: At least your son didn't turn out to be gay.

I don't know what it's like to have ADHD, but if you had to choose between him being gay or having ADHD, which would you choose?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Almost anytime a homosexual is asked if being gay is a "choice", they respond that no one in their right mind would choose to be gay; they endure constant shame and ridicule.
It's easier to find support now than ever before, but there's always that undercurrent of homophobia in society that's almost impossible to ignore.

heh... Didn't intend to make a rhyme there.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From the article:
If the idea of chemically suppressing homosexuality in the womb horrifies you, I have bad news: You won't be in the room when it happens. Parents control medical decisions, and surveys indicate that the vast majority of them would be upset to learn that their child was gay. Already, millions are screening embryos and fetuses to eliminate those of the "wrong" sex. Do you think they won't screen for the "wrong" sexual orientation, too?

The gay culture war is about to turn chemical. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine
From the OP article:
the Rev. Albert Mohler Jr., president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, wrote: "If a biological basis is found, and if a prenatal test is then developed, and if a successful treatment to reverse the sexual orientation to heterosexual is ever developed, we would support its use."
You can't get more ironic than trying to undo "God's plan" in order to please him.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
From the OP article:
the Rev. Albert Mohler Jr., president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, wrote: "If a biological basis is found, and if a prenatal test is then developed, and if a successful treatment to reverse the sexual orientation to heterosexual is ever developed, we would support its use."
You can't get more ironic than trying to undo "God's plan" in order to please him.
I know. I saw another religion-based writer comment on this news story and he concluded by saying something like, "Even if homosexuality is found to be something that people are born with, it in no way changes the fact that it is an abomination against God."

WTF?!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm not being sarcastic here, I'm being serious: At least your son didn't turn out to be gay.

I don't know what it's like to have ADHD, but if you had to choose between him being gay or having ADHD, which would you choose?
Honestly? If I had to choose, it would be for him to be gay. At least that wouldn't interfere with how he learns and he'd have a host of civil rights lawyers at his disposal if anyone picked on him. As a young person with ADHD, he was branded a "problem child," had difficulties in a classroom and has had trouble holding a job. Many people deny that ADHD even exists and accused me of being a bad parent and him of simply not trying. The medication doesn't help his impulsivity and I can't follow him around reminding him to slow down his thought processes and helping him make good choices.

Oh, and it's not hip to have ADHD. They don't have pride parades for you or cheer your idiosyncracies. As a parent of an ADHD kid, you sit there on pins and needles at school events, praying that your child doesn't get in his head to race up on stage and accidentally knock over people. You DREAD parent-teacher conferences.

You watch other kids stand patiently in line for things without any problem while your child is jumping up and down in frustration no matter how you try to keep him calm. Parents won't invite your child to parties and such because they worry they can't control him. And they probably can't. Soon, the other kids begin to learn that they can use your child for mischief because he's so desperate for friends and impulsive to boot that they can wind him up and watch him go. And the adults have no problem letting him take the fall. He grows angry, frustrated and resentful.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 AM

teatime, I really can feel your frustration in your words. I'm sorry it's been such a tough time for you and your son. You're right - people don't know a lot about ADHD, and so there's all kinds of challenges for you and for him on a daily basis.

I have a cousin who is autistic. He's 32 years old, and I know his life has never been easy. He'll never be able to live on his own. I have a feeling that his parents - if they had to choose between having a son who is either autistic or homosexual - would have chosen homosexual.

About gay being "hip", I guess I've never felt like I could use being gay to score any points with anyone. Maybe some people believe that gay is hip, but "hipness" in itself is pretty superficial.

The bottom line is that being different and feeling misunderstood by society is tough, no matter what.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

P.S. Regarding my "spirited" comments on the Barney Frank topic, that was just silly banter that I was tossing out for a lively (but admittedly shallow) debate. I'm glad you didn't take my comments too seriously and that you were able to respond to this topic.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have always beenone that would like to see much more research done into what makes a person a homosexual vs what makes a person a normal sexual and I would hope that, if we fnd a cause- such as genetic or mental function- that a cure could be found. It is obvious that a gay does not choose rationally to be a homosexual no more than we choose to be regular sexual people. It is just something that we accept as being "normal" humans.
I love my gay friends just as they are.
Why would anyone want to be a straight guy? Sure, straight guys are good for a few things (if you get my drift as a straight woman), but in the long-run, I'd rather spend time with 95% of my gay friends than the straight ones.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
It's a child once conceived.
Please don't start this drivel again.
It's your opinion only, please keep it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
This is a bs statement.
And they only suffer riducle at the hands of ignorant people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies