Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,704,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really? What tax cut was that? Was it the $8 per week?
::Yawn::

Your ranting and doom-and-gloom scenarios do not help your cause (or your credibility).

If it makes you feel better to view the recent tax cuts at $8/week, by all means go ahead. I prefer the bigger-picture scenario that says my husband and I will pay $800/year less in taxes. Same difference. I just don't choose to divide the yearly sum by 50, in a thinly-veiled attempt to make the overall tax advantage seem meager and irrelevant.

Evidently, you have an issue with recognizing/admitting/comprehending that Obama recently entitled you to an additional $400/year ($800/year if you're married). Too bad for you.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
::Yawn::

Your ranting and doom-and-gloom scenarios do not help your cause (or your credibility).

If it makes you feel better to view the recent tax cuts at $8/week, by all means go ahead. I prefer the bigger-picture scenario that says my husband and I will pay $800/year less in taxes. Same difference. I just don't choose to divide the yearly sum by 50, in a thinly-veiled attempt to make the overall tax advantage seem meager and irrelevant.

Evidently, you have an issue with recognizing/admitting/comprehending that Obama recently entitled you to an additional $400/year ($800/year if you're married). Too bad for you.
What "doom and gloom"? You mean that other taxes both backdoor and direct are going up? Is that the "doom and gloom" you're talking about? Please clarify...
It seems to me that focusing on just the $8 a week (or if it makes you happy $800 a year) is a bit myopic and is far from the "big picture" or should we just be real happy that we're not at a 70% tax rate and not complain?

Take off the bifocals and put on the long range glasses and look again you may not like what you see...

Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,704,174 times
Quote:
What "doom and gloom"? You mean that other taxes both backdoor and direct are going up? Is that the "doom and gloom" you're talking about?
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. EXACTLY which taxes (both backdoor and direct) are going up? How much, exactly, are they going up by? Exactly when are they going up? Exactly whose taxes will go up? Please don't give me a bunch of right-wing whiners contemplating *possible* tax increases. Please provide solid and credible sources (from either/both sides) to substantiate your claims that taxes are definitely, without a doubt, going to increase, which would cancel out Obama's recent tax cuts of $400/year per individual and $800/year for married couples.

Quote:
It seems to me that focusing on just the $8 a week (or if it makes you happy $800 a year) is a bit myopic and is far from the "big picture" or should we just be real happy that we're not at a 70% tax rate and not complain?
Focusing on the $800 LESS my husband and I will be paying next year for our taxes is short-sighted? Are you kidding? What a stupid comment. That's an average of $75/month throughout the year. That's a monthly cell phone bill. Obama just gave me a tax cut that essentially covers my cell phone bill for the entire year. So, you can continue to look at it as $8/week. I prefer to look at it in terms that make sense to the majority of the population. I made a good salary, and I still think $800 is nothing to sneeze at.

If Obama didn't give you the tax cut he promised all of us during his campaign, you'd be complaining that he owes you the $400/800 he promised.

Quote:
Take off the bifocals and put on the long range glasses and look again you may not like what you see...
I've got a long way to go before I require bifocals. Furthermore, I'm very happy with Obama's performance/plans thus far. I think this whole mess is all gonna be worked out over time, thanks to him. I think that whining and focusing on doom and gloom scenarios are a pointless waste of time, especially in the situation we're all in right now. But, to each his own...

Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Nice job screwing up the tea bag threads. Now no earnest question will get answered in 166pages of Blahhhh. They merged 3 in one, all different aspects, as if this weren't complicated enough. Partisan push to squash the thread.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM

893 posts, read 1,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
What... Faux News? You can't be serious... Boy, are you ever delusional, who's yelling? Living in a bubble? Getting smaller and smaller right...
I guess thats why Fox is number 1!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM

893 posts, read 1,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Nice job screwing up the tea bag threads. Now no earnest question will get answered in 166pages of Blahhhh. They merged 3 in one, all different aspects, as if this weren't complicated enough. Partisan push to squash the thread.
Yes, why couldn't they just well enough alone.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,611,896 times
Default Tea Party Rallies: They are like white collar Job Fairs.

None of that militant, grungy, long haired, bearded, Birkenstock-wearing crowd that dominated the headlines when Bush was in office. Only one arrest so far, and it was a woman protesting against the rally, who was arrested after trying to drive an old man off the road who was carrying a Tea Party sign.

Another thing - why did so many parents being their kids to these rallies? This is an amazing break from the past, when rallies were almost exclusively dominated by the college/youth crowd. Did parents want to teach their kids how to properly protest? Or did bringing their offspring to the tea parties have greater significance, like the reality of Obama's crushing debt that he will leave on today's youth?

I also liked the ethos of many of these rallies: "Am I paying your taxes"???

Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,431,797 times
I did not attend a Tea Party. I never considered attending.

I do know several people that did attend. They consist of an age range from 26 to 71. They are white and black. They are all middle class with no one person making over 60,000 a year. One family did take their children with the intent to show the kids that everyone DOES have a voice in the USA.

The debt that is being imposed upon us is not the making of Obama alone. Bush, Clinton and the congress all have had their hands in this mess.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Another thing - why did so many parents being their kids to these rallies? This is an amazing break from the past, when rallies were almost exclusively dominated by the college/youth crowd. Did parents want to teach their kids how to properly protest? Or did bringing their offspring to the tea parties have greater significance, like the reality of Obama's crushing debt that he will leave on today's youth?

1. They're stupid. These are adult activities. I do not believe in using children as political pawns.

2. They're unemployed (and collecting taxpayer funded unemployment) and couldn't afford a babysitter.

3. They don't care about their kids' educations and pulled them out of school.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
None of that militant, grungy, long haired, bearded, Birkenstock-wearing crowd that dominated the headlines when Bush was in office. Only one arrest so far, and it was a woman protesting against the rally, who was arrested after trying to drive an old man off the road who was carrying a Tea Party sign.

The rally in my area was almost entirely populated by retired people. I.e. the ones taking OUT of the system, not those putting in.

Lots of rallies have lots of kids, anti gun, anti abortion you name it. Agree with the other poster though, using kids as pawns is a pretty sad way to make a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies