Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Where do you shop?
Depending on what I'm looking for one place I shop is the Good Will store. Now when you guys are done laughing let me explain. I became tired of buying junk not just at wal-mart but at other chains too. Buy a lamp bring it home 6 months later the switch quits working. Why not buy a used lamp in perfect condition made in America with a UL approved sticker on it. This way the money stays in America and I have a product that has been tested as safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 06:43 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,315,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
depending on what i'm looking for one place i shop is the good will store. Now when you guys are done laughing let me explain. I became tired of buying junk not just at wal-mart but at other chains too. Buy a lamp bring it home 6 months later the switch quits working. Why not buy a used lamp in perfect condition made in america with a ul approved sticker on it. This way the money stays in america and i have a product that has been tested as safe.
excellent!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times
I shop Meijer and Target. The Walmart in my area is deplorable and I refuse to step foot inside. Always dirty and full of negative energy. Last time hubby and I went was when we had a large amount of loose change we were trying to turn in for dollar bills (it was a sunday and the banks were closed). We literally got accosted by half a dozen people on the way in ("You gonna give me some of yo' change?") Then the cashier asked for some. That was it for us.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I shop at Wal-Mart because 1) there is one in my town; 2) I hate shopping and 3) because I'm retired. If I can go to one place about 2 miles away for socks, a memory card, some Tylenol, towels and a tee shirt, in one trip, that means I can get what I want and be in and out quickly...because I hate shopping. Mostly, I shop online. Being retired, I now live in play clothes so I don't have to go to some mall for office clothes/shoes. Thank God...because I hate shopping. But, I don't grocery shop at Wal-Mart because it's just me and I don't need chicken for 5, 10 rolls of toilet paper or the gazillion gallon sized detergent. And I can't carry those heavy things up stairs, either.

I don't see any difference in Wal-Mart and Target quality. Both stores were in the town adjacent to mine when I lived in Maryland (so the same people were shopping at both). I preferred Wal-Mart.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
LauraC, it was hard to tell but do you hate shopping?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 AM

208 posts, read 605,404 times
I shop Wal-Mart early in the morning and have no problems checking out. I guess I'm lucky, but my Wal-Mart is clean and the cashiers are fast but courteous. I also don't get buying cheap crap line. At least in the food department, Wal-Mart carries the same brands as my grocery store but I save more at Wal-Mart.

The Target is a little further down the road but it is a pleasant experience too. I may go there when I'm on that part of town. However, Target is a little higher price wise than Wal-Mart.

Also as someone who knows people who work at both Wal-Mart and Target, the wages are not much different. Target pays a little more but generally you still work less than 40 hours.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Cuebald, You have said so much. ......................

Making Wal-Mart into a political poster child rather than a business model we can choose to like or dislike is just wrong.
Apparently Walmart is a very successful business model, and love 'em or hate 'em, you just can't ignore their success. Walmart gives people what they want:
Low prices. They may not carry the Rolex, Gucci, Rodeo drive qualities, but you pay for what you get, and most know the quality of what they buy before they leave the store.

One stop shopping. Groceries, pharmacy, banking, optometry, garden center, automotive, electronics, clothes, pet supplies, paint, and some hardware at competitive prices. Shoppers can usually buy what they need without runnning all over town to get it.

Good return policy. Never had a problem with returning an item for WHATEVER reason.

Convenient location. Most stores are convenient to major highways in most locales.
As for wages and benefits, that is something between the employer and the employee. If an employee agrees to work for a given wage, then he should honor that commitment. If he does not like the terms of employment, go to the next job interview.

If folks don't like Walmart, shop somewhere else. Vote with your pocketbook, and if enough vote somebody's doors will close, or policies will be modified by management. This is a free country, shop where you want, buy the quality you want, and pay what you can afford.

Walmart is able to keep prices low due partly to being non-union. The day they become union and raise their prices is the day I'll start buying somewhere else.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
On the news last night, I saw a segment about how 600 people who worked at Walmart's optical labs were told they were fired when they showed up for work recently. Walmart has decided to move their eyeglass operations to Mexico.

Interestingly enough, I need new eyeglasses and Walmart/Sam's Club is one of the few optical places that accepts my insurance. I was planning to go there this week. Not anymore, even if I have to pay more out-of-pocket.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 PM

491 posts, read 749,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Apparently Walmart is a very successful business model, and love 'em or hate 'em, you just can't ignore their success. Walmart gives people what they want:
Low prices. They may not carry the Rolex, Gucci, Rodeo drive qualities, but you pay for what you get, and most know the quality of what they buy before they leave the store.

One stop shopping. Groceries, pharmacy, banking, optometry, garden center, automotive, electronics, clothes, pet supplies, paint, and some hardware at competitive prices. Shoppers can usually buy what they need without runnning all over town to get it.

Good return policy. Never had a problem with returning an item for WHATEVER reason.

Convenient location. Most stores are convenient to major highways in most locales.
As for wages and benefits, that is something between the employer and the employee. If an employee agrees to work for a given wage, then he should honor that commitment. If he does not like the terms of employment, go to the next job interview.

If folks don't like Walmart, shop somewhere else. Vote with your pocketbook, and if enough vote somebody's doors will close, or policies will be modified by management. This is a free country, shop where you want, buy the quality you want, and pay what you can afford.

Walmart is able to keep prices low due partly to being non-union. The day they become union and raise their prices is the day I'll start buying somewhere else.
Maybe the employee needs a job as soon as possible and would take the first job they can find or maybe they can not find another job. If the employee does not agree on a wage they will not be hired so they are at a disadvantage and have to take whatever wage the employer gives.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:14 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
On the news last night, I saw a segment about how 600 people who worked at Walmart's optical labs were told they were fired when they showed up for work recently. Walmart has decided to move their eyeglass operations to Mexico.

Interestingly enough, I need new eyeglasses and Walmart/Sam's Club is one of the few optical places that accepts my insurance. I was planning to go there this week. Not anymore, even if I have to pay more out-of-pocket.
In the reports I read there was no indication they were moving the operation to MX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies