Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
In the reports I read there was no indication they were moving the operation to MX.
Well, that's what they said on ABC News. Here's what I found online. If they're only creating 100 jobs elsewhere after laying off the 650, I think we can make an educated guess about where the rest of the jobs are going.

Wal-Mart to move optical lab jobs to Fayetteville | The City Wire
Quote:
The world’s largest retailer operates optical labs in Crawfordsville, Dallas and Fayetteville. It also outsources work to companies who have labs in Mexico and other U.S. locations.

Equipment from Ohio will be sent to the labs in Crawfordsville and Fayetteville, with expansion at the two sites expected to add 100 jobs. Wal-Mart did not disclose how many new jobs created at each site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
Maybe the employee needs a job as soon as possible and would take the first job they can find or maybe they can not find another job. If the employee does not agree on a wage they will not be hired so they are at a disadvantage and have to take whatever wage the employer gives.
Could it possibly be that just MAYBE the wage is all that the position is worth? Somehow I get the impression that you think the dilemma which the potential employee faces is somehow potential employer's fault,..i.e.,..."If the employee does not agree on a wage they will not be hired so they are at a disadvantage and have to take whatever wage the employer gives". The potential employee can always walk away.

Unfortunately, today it is an employers' market. In a few months market conditions may improve and the reverse will be true.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Since I shop around (easy thing for me to do, since I have two Walmart supercenters, two Super Targets, a Costco, a Lowe's and a Home Depot within three miles of my house), I've been unpleasantly surprised at times that Walmart doesn't always end up being cheaper. For example, I just bought fifteen bags of mulch, and the same brand was $1/bag cheaper at Lowe's than it was at Home Depot or Walmart. Even with car oil change, I've decided to take my business elsewhere since Walmart has gone from one of the cheapest places to one of the most expensive.

Walmart isn't always the cheapest, but almost always provides the lowest quality product. Between Walmart and Target, the latter wins hands down.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times
Here's why I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

Because I know that my receiving cheap goods comes at a cost to others and even though I don't know or see them, at one time I was one of them and I know what it is to be unable to scrape by and have abusive management.

Because the Walton family donates little to charity compared to other billionaires.

Because a lot of the stuff they sell is of low quality and will be in a landfill in a year.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Show mw a store with LOUSY service and I will show you a vacant bldg for rent as a result.

Anyone read the complaints about Circuit City?

Anyone been to Office Depot lately?

Anyone been to a store lately where the clerk new anything about the product they were selling?

Could name a few others gone but NOT due to the Economy.

I never look down on anyone. If the service is lousy or non existent then I shop elsewhere.

I self started and owned five different businesses during a 35 yr span (all sucessful). Some employees were Good and some were Bad.

As too references on clerk employees all a person has to do is read the complaints written here on C-D about rude...inconsiderate...demanding customers. Then again customers have to contend with unknowledged individuals professing to be clerks.

These posts of criticism were written by others and not me.

I don't criticize...I shop elsewhere. Like gas stations...one on every corner.

Steve

(PS) I'm entitled to my opinion be what it may be.

Steve you are so right. Sometimes the only feedback a business will get is never hearing from the customer, and that sort of silence speaks volumes.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:13 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I must operate a business in a profitable manner. Wal-mart is 1 mile from the front door of my office. If they have the exact same product that I need such as copy paper for the same or lower price than the office supply store 30 miles round trip, then my firm's profitability depends on that two mile vs 30 mile trip.

I recently spoke with a manager of a local Costco. I told him that I use both his store and Sam's (a Wal-mart warehouse store). He asked me what I saw as the difference between Costco and Sam's. I told him Costco is like Lowes vs Home Depot, and Target vs Wal-mart. In all cases, if its price I take Sam's, Wal-mart, and Home Depot, but for style, quality of product and shopping ease, I like Costco, Target, and Lowes. Guess, what... I got to choose, and like Robert Frost two roads diverging in the wood, that choice makes all the difference.

bottom line is that their prices are lower than the other stores in the area, with a few exceptions on some things.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

I recently spoke with a manager of a local Costco. I told him that I use both his store and Sam's (a Wal-mart warehouse store). He asked me what I saw as the difference between Costco and Sam's. I told him Costco is like Lowes vs Home Depot, and Target vs Wal-mart. In all cases, if its price I take Sam's, Wal-mart, and Home Depot, but for style, quality of product and shopping ease, I like Costco, Target, and Lowes. Guess, what... I got to choose, and like Robert Frost two roads diverging in the wood, that choice makes all the difference.
Yet on the "flip-side" of that choice, if one chooses only Wal-Mart because of it's low prices (which is an obvious consideration in a depressed economy) then it'll be a matter of time before Wal-Mart will be the only choice one has for whatever one needs. "Spreading the wealth" will be a thing of the past, and "choice" will simply go away.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
If money is the only thing that matters to you, you will never have enough if it regardless of where you shop.

Just be aware that every time you shop at WalMart it is costing a portion of an American job as well as the purchase price.

Likewise the self checkouts at the grocery stores.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:00 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If money is the only thing that matters to you, you will never have enough if it regardless of where you shop.

Just be aware that every time you shop at WalMart it is costing a portion of an American job as well as the purchase price.

Likewise the self checkouts at the grocery stores.
Good points. I'd like to keep people working. Technology is grand, don't get me wrong, but it's put an awful lot of people out of a job.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I'd support a good strong union for starters so if the Walmart Employee's would ever organize I'd be the first at the door.
I go out of my way to avoid union stores. High prices at union stores make the point moot, anyway. I don't buy at union stores in principle, because a significant portion of my money would be going to people who actively vote for a party I consider destructive to America. I'm not going to help them tear down the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies