Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
As Gingrich was going after Clinton for an extramarital affair, he himself (Gingrich) was involved in an extramarital affair. Hypocritical? A bit perhaps?
Well if we learned anything from this last election it should be that hypocritical stances don't matter anymore nor drug use...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
I don't know. I might be willing to vote for a conservative Democrat governor if there was actually one running against a liberal Republican. But, it would have to be based on their history, not what they mouth to get elected.

If I adopt that Daniel Hannan Tory guy from Great Britain that yelled at Gordon Brown and got over 1.1 million hits on You Tube, would he be allowed to run for US public office? Now THAT would be a press conference!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Sarah Palin.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
My ideal of the perfect Republican candidate would espouse the following positions:

* get to a balanced budget as quickly as possible.
* work on paying down the national debt so that it doesn't get passed down to future generations.
* regulate the financial industries in such a way so as not to stifle creativity, but not permitting what has gone on in the last 10 years.
* regulate the oversite of our food supply and put lots of inspectors at any incoming port, especially where food is involved.
* have a 'fair' trade policy, not 'free' trade where it's open season on middle class workers. I would support strong tariffs to protect our way of life and our jobs. Bring back nearly all outsourced jobs to America. This alone would solve other problems.
* no more illegal immigration. Deport those who came here legally.
* end the H1B visa program. There's plenty of unemployed people in this country who can do the work. Enough of companies hiring the cheapest foreign help. Severe penalties for sending American jobs overseas.
* have a steady, constant growth objective in the economy. No more bubbles.
* protecting the American people from foreign threats with a strong military is top priority, but no more wasteful spending by the military, especially the enriching of private and politically connected contractors.
* get our noses out of other countries business. We have enough of our own problems. Wind down the 2 wars in the middle east and bring our troops home. This includes pulling back troops from other parts of the world who are fully capable of taking care of themselves.
* put a moritorium on foreign aid and aid to the UN. Work with our friends and don't reward our enemies.
* get tough on crime and build more prisons if necessary to house the non-reformable and career criminals.
* quit trying to criminalize every activity in human life just to make a buck off of it (such as red light cameras, seat belt laws, etc.). In other words, leave personal choices to individuals.
* reduce taxes to manageable levels. Reward hard work, but outsized rewards and bonuses for incompetent work should be taxed at high levels.
* get serious about campaign reform and take the big money out of elections.
* finally, get America back to what made us great by taking care of ourselves first and not the rest of the world. In general, adopt a more isolationist policy.

I know that these ideas need a lot of detail behind them, but just my thoughts and ramblings on how to improve things and perhaps return the Republican party to it's greatness instead of being perceived as a tool of corporate interests. I've been a life-long Republican, but I feel that the party has deserted me.

introduce small goverment again to the rino party as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM

893 posts, read 1,580,685 times
Karl Rove

Old 03-29-2009, 06:58 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sarah Palin.
Eh, that'll mean a landslide for the Democrats.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
As Gingrich was going after Clinton for an extramarital affair, he himself (Gingrich) was involved in an extramarital affair. Hypocritical? A bit perhaps?
Yes it is hypocritical. But why is it only a "personal" matter when it's a Democrat?

Also, Gingrich has a lot more experience in economics than Obama will ever have.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Eh, that'll mean a landslide for the Democrats.
Exactly, you betcha

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am not a Republican and do not like partisan politics but I would consider voting for a good Republican candidate if they were willing to go back to the basics. The only problem that I see is that I just do not see anybody that would represent someone like me. Jindal is OK but I do not think he has what it takes, I personally dislike Palin immensely because of her anti-intellectual approach to things and her obsession with religion and God. Michael Steele, you have got to be kidding right? I also dislike nutcases like Michelle Bachmann, the woman is just a nutcase and should not be in politics. I don't like Tim Pawlenty either, he is the type of "moderate" Republican that does not do anything for me, almost like a John McCain. Who would be the ideal Conservative candidate for 2012?
Anybody but Saint Barack of Hopenchange.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 PM

345 posts, read 643,409 times
I'm surprised that Ron Paul hasn't been mentioned much. Just for starters, no, I'm not one his rabid supporters. I don't agree with all of his platforms, but he represents what I feel the Republican party should focus on - a return to small government and fiscal responsibility. That, and he doesn't pander to any particular bloc; he has his positions and he sticks to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies