Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Perhaps if those 9 people had access to preventative care and a primary physician through coverage they wouldn't have had to visit the ER instead of going to their DR. .. that's just one of the many things I could think of.
Well, mental health is difficult to manage. There will be emergencies. Most docs have some type of on-call service, but sometimes people don't know how to use it, especially in a crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
We seem to have switched to talking about the care of the mentally ill and the politics behind it instead of the outrageous cost of medical care. I just had a thought Since the patients probably never see the bills, is it possible the hospitals are overbilling because they realize these patients won't challenge it?

Once I was supposed to spend 4 weeks in a chronic pain program in Boston, walked in for an initial evaluation, but decided not to be admitted. However, my insurance company got an itemized statement for the daily doctor visits.
I swear this really happened!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This trend started in the early 60s, in the Kennedy administration. It sounded so good: community mental health centers. Unintended consequences. I have worked in MH and I don't have all the answers

Community Mental Health Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rosemary's lobotomy in 1941 I'm sure had some heavy influences.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
justnancy my grandmothers senior citizen group watch their doctor bills like hawks. I believe AARP encouraged them to do so in a few articles pointing out medicade fraud. You did turn them in to the insurance company, correct?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:54 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
justnancy my grandmothers senior citizen group watch their doctor bills like hawks. I believe AARP encouraged them to do so in a few articles pointing out medicade fraud. You did turn them in to the insurance company, correct?
Well, not exactly. I called the doctor's office and was told they billed the wrong patient number. Sure they did. So they settled everything with my insurance provider.

Since we are on the subject, I used to run into this type of fraud a lot. Maybe it isn't fraud, but how can a doctor adjust his price so much depending on the patient's coverage? Here's what I mean. I went to a neurologist for chronic headaches. He billed me for several CT-scans and other procedures costing thousands. At that time I had Met-Elect which was a PPO, and the reason I went to this doctor was because he was in the network. So he had to accept the fee paid by Met Life and I was responsible for my deductible and 20% of the contracted fee, not his inflated charge. I kept getting past due bills and threats and finally, after making many calls & writing letters, I got someone at Met Life involved. She told them it was a violation of their contract to bill me for more than the agreed upon fee. So they told her I never explained I was on their plan and would take care of the discrepancy immediately. Grrrr.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

So who said we don't already have socialized medicine in this country? What can we do to stop this kind of abuse?
The last sentence of the article pretty much sums it up. Those nine people are mentally ill and their hypochondria is pretty much the reason they go to the emergency room so often (up to a dozen times a day).

Old 04-03-2009, 03:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
would have been cheaper to spend the money and provide non goverment health insurance to those people, then it would not have costed so much.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
would have been cheaper to spend the money and provide non goverment health insurance to those people, then it would not have costed so much.
try reading about cost shifting.
http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi...stract/25/1/22

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas

From the Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas – Just nine people accounted for nearly 2,700 of the emergency room visits in the Austin area during the past six years at a cost of $3 million to taxpayers and others, according to a report. The patients went to hospital emergency rooms 2,678 times from 2003 through 2008, said the report from the nonprofit Integrated Care Collaboration, a group of health care providers who care for low-income and uninsured patients.

Read the rest of this article here.
9 patients made nearly 2,700 ER visits in Texas (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_re_us/frequent_er_patients - broken link)

So who said we don't already have socialized medicine in this country? What can we do to stop this kind of abuse?
Abuse? The repubs call this "everyone in the U.S. has access to health care, nobody has to go without, so we don't need universal health care because that has faults and will cost too much".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies