Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,593,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you weren't around back in 2004 and 2005, huh? Troop haters were very numerous from the left and I am sure many of those on this thread were around hating them back then. Get real.

Only in your paranoid and delusional fantasies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,237,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well, that's a bunch of BS. You seriously know what's going on in the heads of the soldiers that you claim to love so dearly? I highly doubt it. You know how many suicides these soldiers have committed? Why didn't those loved ones know about that, huh? How come so many people thought that these soldiers that came home were "ok"? Don't tell us that you know what happens in their heads, you have no idea. And if you're about to spout that you too were a veteran, I still call bull. Every person deals w/stress in a different way.
I only "know what's going in the heads of the soldiers" because they're my family and I talk to them and their colleagues/friends, and not because I claim any special powers or knowledge. Where did I mention anything about stress? Where did I say anything about being "OK" or not OK? Do you make this stuff up on purpose or can you just not read?

What I said...quite clearly too...is that saying that the troops want to come home is obvious. Any rational person would prefer to be home with their family than fighting a war. What I also said is that they do it day in and day out because that's what they signed up to do, and the vast majority do not believe that they've been wronged in some way by the former President.

Now you can disagree with my statement, but I've actually discussed this with officers and enlisted men/women who have been to and served in Iraq. I call BS on you, and I would bet you not only have never discussed it with a soldier, sailor, airman, or marine, but you don't even know any with whom you could discuss it. Am I right?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,600,826 times
Quote:
I guess you weren't around back in 2004 and 2005, huh? Troop haters were very numerous from the left and I am sure many of those on this thread were around hating them back then. Get real.
Let's try to put this in perspective, shall we? Now, when you say "the left" hate the military, what do you mean exactly? Because I can explain it to you.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,348,745 times
Quote:
Troop haters? Ummm, no; anti-war folks, yeah. Millions of them throughout the world.

Troop haters are those who start wars because "he tried to kill my daddy" and let over 4.3k die, over 30k be seriously wounded ad have no remorse.

The troops like Obama, simple as that

Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 PM

893 posts, read 1,583,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Troop haters? Ummm, no; anti-war folks, yeah. Millions of them throughout the world.

Troop haters are those who start wars because "he tried to kill my daddy" and let over 4.3k die, over 30k be seriously wounded ad have no remorse.

UH.....OK! What world do you live in????

Old 04-07-2009, 10:38 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,917,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

You were saying????

Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,600,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
UH.....OK! What world do you live in????
Well, I don't know.. Some of you persist in telling us that because we're against the war, we're against the soldiers. Grab a clue Siegfried. It's like this...some of us don't appreciate being in a war that means nothing. That also connects to the fact that we don't appreciate having our boys/ladies in uniform overseas in a dead end situation when they could be doing a better more conducive job somewhere else. Now, how that equated to "WE HATE THE TROOPS!! WE THINK THEY'RE ALL *******S! WE WISH THEY WERE DEAD!!", well, I'll never know. But, ya know, some of ya like to put your own voices that you hear into other people's mouths.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,467,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Suicides in the military are above the national average of suicide rates. It doesnt take alot of education to determine the reasons that suicides are high. Repeated exposure to guerrilla warfare added to lfes problems are a heavy load to bear. Add in the fact that soldiers sometimes receive sub standard medical evaluations and care for PTSD, to include misdiagnosis ("personality disorder") or pressure to keep quiet about their problems and a high suicide rate is not surprising. It's another cost largely shielded from public view, as well. Like so many others.
You're right, it doesn't take a lot of education, but it does take thinking about it a little, and looking beyond the so-called "obvious" explanations. Such as the fact that males have considerably higher suicide rates than females. And young adults have a higher suicide rate than older adults. And the military is predominantly comprised of young adult males. And so maybe it would do well to do an apples-to-apples comparison to get a full understanding of the scope of the problem. When you do, you find the suicide rate of military personnel is actually lower than that of people in comparable demographics in the general population.

Rising suicide rates in the military are an issue that need to be dealt with. At the same time, understanding the scope of the problem is also important, and I'm starting to tire of seeing the lies masquarading as statistics being spread by people with an agenda and accepted and passed along by other people without question.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,111,670 times
Quote:
I said "on this thread". No one ON THIS THREAD, since it has been started, has said anything negative about the troops that I can discern! This thread has nothing to do with 2004-2005, and I really don't know what you're talking about anyway. There hasn't been the antipathy towards the troops that there was during the war in Viet Nam.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,047,028 times
It would be interesting to show many who are praising Obama for this are the same ones who criticized Bush for doing the exact same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies