Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't disagree that it was optional in your experience. In Baghdad, it was optional only if you were extended the invitation. The big question is, who decided who got an invitation? I can tell you from experience that not everyone was given the opportunity to go see any given dignitary. That leads me to believe that hand-picked crowds are more prevalent than you seem to want to acknowledge. Your experience is different, but that doesn't mean absolute policy.

When the "masses" were welcome, it truly was an optional event.
Considering thier have to be post that MUST be manned at all time it would never be open to ALL members but in my days the invitations were spread through the base freely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Keep in mind the leftist MEDIA will be grabbing the few seconds they want to reveal to the dumb sheeple out of the visit. The majority of military troops across the board are conservative.

Active Troops Disagree with Powell, Support McCain 3-to-1 Over Obama
Like this leftist MEDIA?

Obama Makes Surprise Visit to Iraq, Meets With Top Commander - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/07/president-obama-makes-surprise-visit-iraq/ - broken link)

Obama's appearance pleased troops interviewed by reporters. They said they were gratified the new president came to visit so soon after taking office.
"We love you," shouted a few troops. The president shouted he loved them back.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Whopee do, I want to see him land a jet.

But seriously, I find these things, regardless of which president it is, just evidence of the levity with which they view their job.
We are broke & he's touring Iraq on our dime. Helluva guy eh.
Whose dime got us over there in the first place?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't disagree that it was optional in your experience. In Baghdad, it was optional only if you were extended the invitation. The big question is, who decided who got an invitation? I can tell you from experience that not everyone was given the opportunity to go see any given dignitary. That leads me to believe that hand-picked crowds are more prevalent than you seem to want to acknowledge. Your experience is different, but that doesn't mean absolute policy.

When the "masses" were welcome, it truly was an optional event.
It depends on the command structure.
Each one is different, but it is based on the command.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It's so interesting--I wondered how long it would take for a post like this. The troops must love Obama after all! There's picture proof!

I mean, his "surprise" visit wasn't contrived or anything. He was just sitting on the plane and said, "Take a left at Albuquerque."

Surely these were just random troops, not hand selected in any way.

No. Definitely not.
I don't really care either way but you have to admit, if you look at the picture the soldiers far back in the rear are all trying their best to get pics. I guess those guys were hand picked as well. Actually, in a way you are right. Because all of our fighting men and women are hand picked by recruiters. Tell you what I think, I think all those people you may see on TV or on the internet talking bad about Obama are hand picked to do that. Just as Joe the Plumber was hand picked to offer his hilarious take on small business for Mr. McCain. All hand picked.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
And they all have their hand out. Just like the rest of his fans.
Sorry, I am sure this was meant as a joke but come on, equating the troops with welfare cases is a little harsh don't you think. Joke or not, this post may be a bit offensive to any of our armed forces who happen to be posting on this thread. But hey, there's no TOS violation so freedom of speech is freedom of speech.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Keep in mind the leftist MEDIA will be grabbing the few seconds they want to reveal to the dumb sheeple out of the visit. The majority of military troops across the board are conservative.

Active Troops Disagree with Powell, Support McCain 3-to-1 Over Obama
And the right does the same every chance they get. Recently Obama made a visit to Ft. Bragg and was greeted by silent troops standing at attention. Conservatives jumped all over the silent part of the broadcast, trying to act like the troops were quiet because they hated Obama. Of course, they didn't want to talk about the time later when the troops were put at ease. Both sides pull the same tricks, so stop acting like it's a one sided deal.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Whopee do, I want to see him land a jet.

But seriously, I find these things, regardless of which president it is, just evidence of the levity with which they view their job.
We are broke & he's touring Iraq on our dime. Helluva guy eh.
.... until I can't feel my own thoughts and perhaps can process such a statement.

Mr. Obama: Commander in Chief

Soldiers: Fighting a war in which the very fate of their lives may rest in his hands.

A visit is hardly "touring Iraq on our dime" and most CERTAINLY not "evidence of levity".

...unless you were joking?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
You all misunderstand that picture. Those little silver contraptions in their hands are top secret military issued "Muslim detectors".

Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You all misunderstand that picture. Those little silver contraptions in their hands are top secret military issued "Muslim detectors".
Good one! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies