Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage will be legalized in all States in how many years?
Within 5 18 11.84%
Within 10 21 13.82%
Within 20 34 22.37%
Within 50 12 7.89%
It will take more than 50 years 8 5.26%
It will never be legalized in all states 54 35.53%
It will be made ill-legal in all states 1 0.66%
Other 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No...I'm not.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, however consenting adults should have the right to do whatever they choose in private. States need to restrict marriages to protect families and children.

As far as polygamy, if the gay marriage battle is ever over, polygamy may logically come next.
Then you must be for marriage only for adults that can and do conceive children. Marriage then should be restricted to breeders? Why do senior citizens get married? It is certainly not because she "accidentally got pregnant". Are you for tax breaks for gays, since they are restricted from adopting, fostering or marrying? Gay people have kids too, restricting marriage only to hets, denies them the same protections and privileges , that is harming a family. America is a melting pot of religions, races and people of various sexual orientations, it is not only christian or only heterosexuals so why should heterosexual christians make the rules for everyone.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:36 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Then you must be for marriage only for adults that can and do conceive children. Marriage then should be restricted to breeders? Why do senior citizens get married? It is certainly not because she "accidentally got pregnant". Are you for tax breaks for gays, since they are restricted from adopting, fostering or marrying? Gay people have kids too, restricting marriage only to hets, denies them the same protections and privileges , that is harming a family. America is a melting pot of religions, races and people of various sexual orientations, it is not only christian or only heterosexuals so why should heterosexual christians make the rules for everyone.
I'm not going to continue posting on this thread...I don't want to upset anyone.

I did mention this should be a state issue. In my state, we voted a few years ago on it and decided that gay marriage should not be permitted. In states where the majority of citizens want it to be allowed, it should be. Like it or not...sometimes democracy does mean the majority curtailing the rights of the minority. In a way, it's unfortunate. But when you consider EVERYONE's rights, it seems to be the best way to do things.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
No...I'm not.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, however consenting adults should have the right to do whatever they choose in private. States need to restrict marriages to protect families and children.

As far as polygamy, if the gay marriage battle is ever over, polygamy may logically come next.
and what on God's green Earth makes you think that gays are somehow a threat to families & children? If you are implying pedophilia that is a whole different animal where heteros excel at but you should know that being from Texas.
David Koresh? or The Yearning for Zion (YFZ) Ranch, a polygamist community in Eldorado, Texas.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
and what on God's green Earth makes you think that gays are somehow a threat to families & children? If you are implying pedophilia that is a whole different animal where heteros excel at but you should know that being from Texas.
David Koresh? or The Yearning for Zion (YFZ) Ranch, a polygamist community in Eldorado, Texas.
I wasn't implying pedophilia....sorry if you misunderstood. I was implying that children need a mother and a father....not two mothers or two fathers. On another thread in this forum recently, someone was comparing gays and pedophiles. I actually corrected him pretty harshly.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
I wasn't implying pedophilia....sorry if you misunderstood. I was implying that children need a mother and a father....not two mothers or two fathers. On another thread in this forum recently, someone was comparing gays and pedophiles. I actually corrected him pretty harshly.
I guess you're against single parents too.

there are a lot of kids out there that would love to have ONE loving parent. don't see many kids turning up their nose at 2, regardless of the sex. lots of gay couples adopt. according to you, should these kids, many of whom would end up in foster care for good knows how long, be denied a loving home b/c their parents are same sex?

marriage should be between a man and woman according to WHO? the Bible? please, don't even get me started on that. the dictionary? laughable. I'd rather not base the rights of an entire population on a book that's constantly changing, adding new words and definitions every year. the majority? the majority as been proven to be wrong on multiple occasions (the same majority that was okay w/ "separate but equal" for example). tradition? traditions change throughout generations. one upon a time it was unheard of for a woman to hold a real job outside the home or have an opinion about politics

so please explain, who are the people saying that marriage should only be between a man and a woman? and why should these people's opinions trump other people's rights?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
I think certain states will be hold outs when it comes to gay marriage. Utah is more or less owned by the LDS church, so I don't see much hope there unless there's a federal law enacted. ditto some Southern states. I think it will be legal in all of New England in 10 years top, perhaps closer to 5 years since RI and ME seem to be getting close. I'm still surprised it's legal in Iowa, that seemed to have come in below the radar! I figured in any Midwest state was going to be the first to legalize it, it would be Illinois (of course, IL has so many other issues to deal w/)

Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I guess you're against single parents too.

there are a lot of kids out there that would love to have ONE loving parent. don't see many kids turning up their nose at 2, regardless of the sex

marriage should be between a man and woman according to WHO? the Bible? please, don't even get me started on that. the dictionary? laughable. I'd rather not base the rights of an entire population on a book that's constantly changing, adding new words and definitions every year. the majority? the majority as been proven to be wrong on multiple occasions (the same majority that was okay w/ "separate but equal" for example). tradition? traditions change throughout generations. one upon a time it was unheard of for a woman to hold a real job outside the home or have an opinion about politics

so please explain, who are the people saying that marriage should only be between a man and a woman? and why should these people's opinions trump other people's rights?
No one should INTENTIONALLY become a single parent. If it's necessary, it's necessary. But no one should intentionally.

I'm not basing my opinions on the Bible...I'm basing them on life experience and my views on this have nothing to do with religion. If they did, I'd be supportive of criminalizing same-sex (and opposite-sex) sodomy and criminalizing all fornication, but I'm certainly not.

I believe that men and women are equal (or should be treated equal legally) BTW....so don't even go there.

Like it or not...sometimes the opinions of the majority have to trump other peoples' rights. I've said before that it should be (and is) a state issue.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I think certain states will be hold outs when it comes to gay marriage. Utah is more or less owned by the LDS church, so I don't see much hope there unless there's a federal law enacted. ditto some Southern states. I think it will be legal in all of New England in 10 years top, perhaps closer to 5 years since RI and ME seem to be getting close. I'm still surprised it's legal in Iowa, that seemed to have come in below the radar! I figured in any Midwest state was going to be the first to legalize it, it would be Illinois (of course, IL has so many other issues to deal w/)
No federal law could ever be enacted regarding gay marriage. It's a violation of the US Constitution. The right to regulate marriages is given to states.

A federal court could become involved if someone brought up a constitutional issue.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It matters not, to anyone who doesn't have a gay loved one or isn't gay themselves. What difference would it make to anyone else? Would it affect YOUR life? No, it wouldn't. So it is a non-issue to anyone who isn't gay and wanting to marry.
Yeah. Nobody but blacks care about racism. Nobody but women care about sexism. Nobody but Jews care about antisemitism.

That makes a ton of sense.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
evee it didn't surprise me that Iowa would legalize it.Some people think it is a state full of mid western yokels whereas nothing could be further from the truth. You can bet any Southern state will never approve gay marriage outside of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies