Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay Marriage will be legalized in all States in how many years?
Within 5 18 11.84%
Within 10 21 13.82%
Within 20 34 22.37%
Within 50 12 7.89%
It will take more than 50 years 8 5.26%
It will never be legalized in all states 54 35.53%
It will be made ill-legal in all states 1 0.66%
Other 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times

Advertisements

Check the linked advertisement put out by the National Organization for Marriage. It's supposed to be a rebuttal for those of us who have questioned the anti gay marriage groups as to how legalizing gay marriage would change their lives. It features people who say they've been personally harmed by the approval of same-sex marriage. The ad is ridiculous, of course, because it just makes a blanket statement doesn't explain how same sex marriage interferes with their lives. The CS Monitor article shares some responses from around the country. It appears people most people have more important issues to worry about other than gay marriage.
Clip:
"There's a storm gathering. The clouds are dark, and the winds are strong, and I am afraid. Some who advocate for same-sex marriage have taken the issue far beyond same-sex couples. They want to bring the issue in to my life. My freedom will be taken away."
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_ro...nt.html

Patchwork Nation: Eleven American communities in a time of change. > Patchwork Nation Blog | The Christian Science Monitor (http://www.csmonitor.com/patchworknation/csmstaff/2009/0408/as-gay-marriage-terrain-changes-shrugs-across-patchwork-nation/ - broken link)

Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM

207 posts, read 243,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't understand how one can be for gay marriage but not for polygamy. Its all about people who love each other. I dont understand why the Christian right is so against polygamy anyways as many of the Bible's greatest heroes had many wives.

Beastiality is another issue that shouldn't be brought into this, but gay marriage and polygamy go hand in hand and you can't allow one without the other in my opinion.

Utah and Arkansas are my guesses for the last holdouts on gay marriage, providing the US surpreme court doesn't settle the issue by then.

One could argue against polygamy simply on the fact that a lot of girls in highly religious cultures (Mormons for example) are FORCED into polygamy at very young ages. ...However essentially I agree with you...I see NO problem with consentual polygamy by adults. Just as long as they can afford the massive families they create and provide appropriately for their children.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokenwordfan View Post
Children do not NEED a mother and a father...while that certainly is a workable situation it's not NEEDED. Children need a parent or parents to who support and love them. Furthermore...I know children of gay parents that have two mothers and two fathers (both gay couples)...if children NEED a mother and a father...then two of each should be twice as good.
You are dead wrong. Kids do need a mother and a father. Maybe not to survive, but to grow and develop they do. They need the love and support from both a man and a woman.

It's this kind of thinking ("they don't need a mother and a father") that has resulted in society going down the tubes. Morals are virtually nonexistent and families are in turmoil.

Look at statistics on the number of boys raised by single moms that end up in prison, dropping out of school, on drugs, etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The slippery slope argument is a poor one.

If allowing same-sex couples to marry will lead to polygamy, then it could also be argued that it was opposite-sex marriages that led to same-sex marriages. It's illogical.

Slippery slope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well actually kind of yes....I mean if there were no heterosexual marriages with all the rights that go with heterosexual marriages...do you really think gay people would be fighting for marriage?..I doubt it.

I am of the unpopular opinion that we should just illegalize marraige all together. *shrugs*

Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think people should make a choice to have a child by themselves. Sometimes being a single parent is necessary (divorce, death, etc.). In that case, you have to make the best of a bad situation.
The point is, the children are here and by denying their parents legal protections under the law, they are being harmed.
Denying marriage to same-sex couples won't stop them from having children.

If you claim to want to protect children, support marriage equality.

press (http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/press/StudyGayParentsPoorerThanStraightOnes.html - broken link)

Straight Talk On Marriage: TALKING TO FAMILY: Marriage and the Protection of Children

http://www.thetaskforce.org/download...milyPolicy.pdf

Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
You are dead wrong. Kids do need a mother and a father. Maybe not to survive, but to grow and develop they do. They need the love and support from both a man and a woman.

It's this kind of thinking ("they don't need a mother and a father") that has resulted in society going down the tubes. Morals are virtually nonexistent and families are in turmoil.
Can you provide links to (non-biased) studies that show that a child needs a mother and a father to develop?

Also, Christian morals aren't the only set of morals out there.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
There shouldn't be a federal amendment. It should be a state decision. Period.

My opinion is that the Constitution should protect the most fundamental rights yes (marriage is not an absolute one), but that everything else should be decided on a more local level.

I disagree simply on the fact that I think laws such as marriage rights should be consistant across the board in the country. Either I'm married or not..I'm not married in Iowa and not in Missouri that's silly.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:

Look at statistics on the number of boys raised by single moms that end up in prison, dropping out of school, on drugs, etc.
Most of that is because socioeconomic reasons, not simply because Billy was raised by Nancy and daddy wasn't around.
A lot of single moms are African-Americans and as most people know, there is a huge income disparaity between whites and blacks.

If drug laws were not the way they were, more black men would be at home raising their children. Studies have shown that drug use is lower among african americans but they are sent to prison more frequently on drug charges than whites.

I've known plenty of messed up kids who came from mom + dad backgrounds and known exceptional kids who were raised by single mothers.
There are lots of factorsat play and to just reduce it down to, "Oh single moms raise kids who end up in prison, pregnant, etc" is just silly.

Studies have also shown that same-sex parents seek out opposite sex role models for their children. A lot of these kids have aunts, uncles, godmothers, godfathers, etc. They also have classmates who have parents who are of the oppposite sex and realize there is nothing wrong with their family structure. The only things that harms these kids are the heterosexism in society,people who feel there is something wrong with having two moms and two dads...and oh yeah, those who are against same-sex marriage.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Can you provide links to (non-biased) studies that show that a child needs a mother and a father to develop?

Also, Christian morals aren't the only set of morals out there.
True....and I would never suggest making law based on religion.

As far as kids needing a mother and a father, please look at studies on how much more likely boys raised by single moms are to be on drugs, drop out of school, end up incarcerated, etc.

I'm not sure about statistics on boys raised by single dads or girls raised by single moms or dads. I'll try to look for some later.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokenwordfan View Post
I disagree simply on the fact that I think laws such as marriage rights should be consistant across the board in the country. Either I'm married or not..I'm not married in Iowa and not in Missouri that's silly.
Silly maybe. But there are a lot of things that you cannot legally do in Iowa that you can in Missouri and vice versa.

The feds have intruded into state's rights way too much. The power of the federal government is supposed to be relatively limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies