Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Since it would seem people reading the political section have some interest:

Many Americans have lost their pensions for one reason or another. I say write your elected officials and insist they vote to eliminate their own cushy retirement plan until the plans of all Americans are protected, then they can have their own plan restored.

Do you believe everyone should have access to affordable health-care? In a similar vein, write your elected officials and insist they vote to eliminate their own coverage until all Americans have access, then their coverage can be restored.

If nothing else it might serve as a wake-up call to Congress that there's actually people out here whose interests they are supposedly in DC to serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
I agree on the pension debate. Also this social security thing - why are they allowed a private social security plan while the rest of us are forced to contribute to a plan that will at best give us a mere 2% rate or return, and at worse and most probably we will never see a cent of in our retirement.

However, on the pension issue, I can't see how congress can fix it without dramatic business legislature that may hurt more than it helps. Still - I would like them to be on the same playing field as the rest of us.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
I agree on the pension debate. Also this social security thing - why are they allowed a private social security plan while the rest of us are forced to contribute to a plan that will at best give us a mere 2% rate or return, and at worse and most probably we will never see a cent of in our retirement.

However, on the pension issue, I can't see how congress can fix it without dramatic business legislature that may hurt more than it helps. Still - I would like them to be on the same playing field as the rest of us.

I just believe an awfully large %age of Congress needs a wake-up call.

I actually believe a lot of them need to be taken out behind a wood-shed and given a good spanking. After all, half the time their bipartisan wrangling resembles nothing more than a bunch of whining five year olds, maybe a little old-fashioned five year old justice is appropriate, but I don't think THAT's gonna fly.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Thumbs up Yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since it would seem people reading the political section have some interest:

Many Americans have lost their pensions for one reason or another. I say write your elected officials and insist they vote to eliminate their own cushy retirement plan until the plans of all Americans are protected, then they can have their own plan restored.

Do you believe everyone should have access to affordable health-care? In a similar vein, write your elected officials and insist they vote to eliminate their own coverage until all Americans have access, then their coverage can be restored.

If nothing else it might serve as a wake-up call to Congress that there's actually people out here whose interests they are supposedly in DC to serve.
I do believe health care-in the richest country-should now be a right. My brother is a physician, and they do pro-bono cancer surgery bcs people cannot afford it. The well-meaning and caring professionals DO care about this (even if Dubya doesn't) Where I work there is a 20 yr old with testicular cancer whose insurance (Aetna) just dropped him. He is dying and his insurance refuses to cover his chemo.

This is a disgrace.

sunny

Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I do believe health care-in the richest country-should now be a right. My brother is a physician, and they do pro-bono cancer surgery bcs people cannot afford it. The well-meaning and caring professionals DO care about this (even if Dubya doesn't) Where I work there is a 20 yr old with testicular cancer whose insurance (Aetna) just dropped him. He is dying and his insurance refuses to cover his chemo.

This is a disgrace.

sunny

That's exactly the kind of thing I think Congress needs to be asked "Why does this happen in America in 2007?" about. And I would caution them that "Because that's the way it is" IS NOT an acceptable answer if they'd like to be re-elected.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post

This is a disgrace.

sunny
That's what family, friends, churches, and civic organizations are for. If you want a taste of nationalized health care, go to a VA hospital. Though the care is adequate in most cases, you would be appalled at somethings, considering how spoiled we all are with the current for profit system.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:38 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
I don't see how a national healthcare system would work. It's too easy to abuse. What happens to the person who is brought to the ER with chest pains, but has to wait in line, because 10 people brought in their toddlers who have the sniffles? You can't ration visits. You can't set a spending limit. The only possible solution I can see is having a large deductable, but that would likely be viewed as discrimination against the poor.

I don't want anyone to go without the medical care they need, but you also have to keep people from exploiting, and thereby destroying, the system.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I don't see how a national healthcare system would work. It's too easy to abuse. What happens to the person who is brought to the ER with chest pains, but has to wait in line, because 10 people brought in their toddlers who have the sniffles? You can't ration visits. You can't set a spending limit. The only possible solution I can see is having a large deductable, but that would likely be viewed as discrimination against the poor.

I don't want anyone to go without the medical care they need, but you also have to keep people from exploiting, and thereby destroying, the system.

Are we really that incompetent that it can't be done?

Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
You could argue that we are...

Old 03-29-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
You could argue that we are...

Then I think in 50-100 years the US will be nothing more than a Chinese outlet mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies