Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times

Advertisements

So, whats the plan? Now that the voucher system will be discontinued and approximately 1700 children (and their $7000 each) will be coming home to the DC public schools -- just what is the plan to make those schools better? All I have seen is teachers and dems very happily if not defensively say that bright students and involved parents will somehow dredge up the failing schools. Which is odd because prior to those 1700 children (and of course thier $7000 each) getting vouchers the DC schools sucked. What will be different now? What have they accomplished? What is the plan? Unified failure? Creating a permanent underclass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the teachers union, ACLU, NAACP, a powerful trio dead set against changing the status quo of public school. the only people that suffer from this is the american public and the kids. voucher now. i cant blame mr obama, its an ugly project to take on and he has many enemies.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Obama's not ending it Congress is. It hasn't made much of a difference, but I'd like to see it continue. Maybe at some point someone would find an approach that gives us better results. The most recent testing indicates that there's no difference in math proficiency and 4 months improvement in reading comprehension.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I get that, but it is wrong to do this to these kids midstream. If we were going to "experiment" on these kids then we needed to pay for them all the way through their program.

$7,000 in schools that are failing and kids are dropping out and coming out criminals vs $7,500 on a child who is a success and now has the confidence to go on and attend college,etc.....I think the decision is obvious.
Are private schools allowed to reject students who come in via vouchers, or do they have to accept them no matter?

Like if some kid that was a former gang member came in and was like "here's my voucher, lemme in" can the private school be like "no way jose".

Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
So The Obama children go to DC public schools right?

Right????

Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Wow..When it's convienent bigger government is better huh? ANyway from the article..

"The five-year pilot program was set to expire this year until Congress extended the program for only one more school year. As a result, Education Secretary Arne Duncan decided not to offer vouchers for new students. To put them in for a year and then put them out didn't make sense," he said. The issue for me is I'm really concerned about the 1,700 students. We want to try and make sure they can stay in schools they want to be in."

As a product of the DC schools, I wanted a link and I don't dare type the words foxnews into my URL..The question I have for you is, would it be better to sacrafice the education of the many for that of a few? I think every child deserves a quality education. I feel for those that may be uprooted in their last year but if the program isn't working, get rid of it..That's excatly what Obama said he would do, even though I doubt that he had much influence on this decision.

Well, the school you attended in DC I am very sure is much different than the schools that these kids today are tied to.

Every child had the chance to get into the program, you had to apply for it.Some did and as usual, some did not.

You know, if the kids are failing,coming out thugs,etc. then every teacher needs to be fired.

I don't get why Dr's and DDS's etc are held accountable for their work yet teachers are not? If their kids flunk, then they get the boot. Period.

BUT with that said, this group of children should not be used as pawns. If it was my child getting tossed back into public schools, I would be furious.

Plain and simple, this is getting cut because Congress is in bed with the Unions and Unions are in the buisness to collect Union dues. The more people in the union, the more dues they collect.They do not worry about who they hurt along the way.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So The Obama children go to DC public schools right?

Right????
Ummmmm NO! They go to private school.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Well, the school you attended in DC I am very sure is much different than the schools that these kids today are tied to.

Every child had the chance to get into the program, you had to apply for it.Some did and as usual, some did not.

You know, if the kids are failing,coming out thugs,etc. then every teacher needs to be fired.

I don't get why Dr's and DDS's etc are held accountable for their work yet teachers are not? If their kids flunk, then they get the boot. Period.

BUT with that said, this group of children should not be used as pawns. If it was my child getting tossed back into public schools, I would be furious.

Plain and simple, this is getting cut because Congress is in bed with the Unions and Unions are in the buisness to collect Union dues. The more people in the union, the more dues they collect.They do not worry about who they hurt along the way.

Jenny, some of what your saying makes sense with one exception, Parents are responsible as well. Parents need to ensure that their child are on the correct level. There are too many parents today, mainly young parents that do not pay attention to their childs school work and more importantly their grades until they fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Are private schools allowed to reject students who come in via vouchers, or do they have to accept them no matter?

Like if some kid that was a former gang member came in and was like "here's my voucher, lemme in" can the private school be like "no way jose".
I believe they had to have achieved an academic level to be accepted. I'm not 100% sure but I know my school I attended, kids who got scholarships from various groups,etc had to have a certain grade level in grade school. These were young kids so I don't know if they were former gang members in K-8.The program is now 5 yrs old. So if the Juniors were getting kicked out, then those kids would have been 12 coming into it.

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:

You can't blame teachers for how kids turn out..That's a parents duty. We can have that discussion on another thread. There aren't two sides of the D.C. Public Schools. I went to same ones these kids are going to. Every kid deserves a quality education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies