Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
the principal didn't even do the strip search did he? did you even read the article? he took the girl to the nurse and the nurse did the search. try reading the article before typing something so stupid about the principal calling in any girl to see them strip.
If the Supreme Court had found it legal, that would have opened the door to any school official performing the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
the principal didn't even do the strip search did he? did you even read the article? he took the girl to the nurse and the nurse did the search. try reading the article before typing something so stupid about the principal calling in any girl to see them strip.
I was using an example.. what is the difference who does it..
It is a violation of privacy.

Moderator cut: no personal attacks

Last edited by katzenfreund; 06-25-2009 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
If the Supreme Court had found it legal, that would have opened the door to any school official performing the search.
Exactly my point, at least someone can comprehend intelligent conversation.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times
Quote:
so give me your suggestion for finding these drugs on children if they are hiding them in their underwear. i'm sure i will not get a response since you will not have one for this.
Oh, I have a response for you. How about letting the LEOs worry about drugs and letting school personnel worry about educating the children.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Did you actually write that? You think it's fine to strip search children in school? Personally, now that the disgusting act has been deemed illegal, anyone involved in this search needs to be arrested for sexual abuse of a child.
Well you're not going to get your wish because first there was no sexual abuse of a child involved, and second, the persons involved were declared to have immunity from further suit. Additionally, strip searches of students were not declared prima facie unconstitutional, they declared that it was unconstitutional in this case because it was unreasonable. The court left open the question what material circumstances would make a strip-search reasonable versus unreasonable except to say that they are permitted when student safety is at risk.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,483 times
Unbelievable and unimaginable...How could this school nurse feel that what she was doing was right? The whole school system,everyone involved! What where they thinking? No one had the balls to stand up to this Principal in defense of this young girl and say "NO" this is not right! WOW... What's next?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Oh, I have a response for you. How about letting the LEOs worry about drugs and letting school personnel worry about educating the children.
Clarence Thomas disagrees

In determining whether the search’s scope was reason-able under the Fourth Amendment, it is therefore irrele-vant whether officials suspected Redding of possessing prescription-strength Ibuprofen, nonprescription-strength Naproxen, or some harder street drug. Safford prohibited its possession on school property. Reasonable suspicionthat Redding was in possession of drugs in violation of these policies, therefore, justified a search extending to any area where small pills could be concealed. The search did not violate the Fourth Amendment.

II By declaring the search unreasonable in this case, the majority has “‘surrender[ed] control of the Americanpublic school system to public school students’” by invali-dating school policies that treat all drugs equally and bysecond-guessing swift disciplinary decisions made byschool officials. See Morse, 551 U. S., at 421 (THOMAS, J., concurring) (quoting Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School Dist., 393 U. S. 503, 526 (1969) (Black, J., dissenting)). The Court’s interference in these matters of great concern to teachers, parents, and students illus-trates why the most constitutionally sound approach tothe question of applying the Fourth Amendment in localpublic schools would in fact be the complete restoration of the common-law doctrine of in loco parentis.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/08-479.pdf

Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
so give me your suggestion for finding these drugs on children if they are hiding them in their underwear. i'm sure i will not get a response since you will not have one for this.
This girl wasn't hiding them in her underwear, or anywhere else for that matter. The point of the Supreme Court decision wasn't that schools couldn't do searches, but that they had to have more than a "tip" from another student trying to avoid trouble, and that when they do have grounds for such suspicion that they should refer the matter to the police. The courts weighed the child's rights of privacy against the threat the school was trying to assess. And they found that the threat of hidden aspirin didn't warrant the school's actions. Following the logic of potential threat, they ruled that if the school had credible reason to believe that a more serious threat was posed, that authorities should be called in to handle that situation.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,483 times
I do believe that when there is an issue with drugs in the school and the possibility that it is on one person, that the school system should contact the Police Dept and the childs parent/guardian, prior to conducting any kind of search where there is body contact with a minor. This should never be done by the school, without legal witness. Thats my input.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellzBellz View Post
I do believe that when there is an iossue with drugs in the school and the possibility that it is on one person, that the school system should contact the Police Dept and the childs parent/guardian, prior to conducting any kind of search where there is body contact with a minor. This should never be done by the school, without legal witness. Thats my input.

i agree. but the student should definitely be searched. we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and say "oh well he put the drugs in his underwear there is nothing we can do." hidden aspirin is still illegal at schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies