Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,459,320 times

Advertisements

i live in a semi-small town, where the established residents are still under the delusion that they live in a rural setting. this means to them that they can let their dogs roam all over the place with no supervision or discipline whatsoever. i walk/jog with my dog (a pit/boxer/hound mix) on a leash every night in this town, and at least once or twice a week, i end up having to confront an aggressive dog somewhere along the route. there have been a few times now that i have had to kick at the dogs as they attack me or my dog; there have been a few times now that i've been clawed or bitten in the legs (though usually i have been kicking them in the ribs if they've gotten that close). there have been numerous times that i've thrown rocks. there are a few blocks in particular that have multiple loose dogs that have formed small packs, and those packs are far more aggressive than a single territorial dog.

guess what; none of them are pit bulls.

i know that momonkey doesn't believe it, but not a single one of these dogs is a pit, or even a mix with any largely identifiable pit bloodline (i'm sure that mo has some conspiracy theory about how they all have just enough pit blood in them to keep them unrecognizable, but still make them crazy, homicidal maniacs). there are, however, several labs, several chow mixes, several shepherds, several cattle dogs, a few golden retrievers, and a mastiff that are causing me problems.

my dog still likes other dogs, but she is definitely more wary around and less trusting of strange dogs since we have been routinely attacked in the streets. i have been a little reluctant to start a crusade in this town, though i think i should start making a stink about it now. it is to the point that i am taking my knife with me on every walk i go on out here, and if another one gets close enough that i have to kick it, i'm gonna put it out of its misery instead. one way or another, these "rural" neighbors are going to start locking their dogs up.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:53 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,684,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
From my experience most Lab owners are by far the most ignorant dog owners out there. They don't train or socialize their dogs because they think they are born magical angels who can never do any harm.
i think this is largely a function of labs being so popular. more owners = more bad owners. same thing with pits, really.

but yeah, people who think temperament/behavior is solely dictated by breed and don't train their dogs because of that (or people who don't train their dogs for whatever reason) are the real problem, not any specific breed.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 AM

183 posts, read 115,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i live in a semi-small town, where the established residents are still under the delusion that they live in a rural setting. this means to them that they can let their dogs roam all over the place with no supervision or discipline whatsoever. i walk/jog with my dog (a pit/boxer/hound mix) on a leash every night in this town, and at least once or twice a week, i end up having to confront an aggressive dog somewhere along the route. there have been a few times now that i have had to kick at the dogs as they attack me or my dog; there have been a few times now that i've been clawed or bitten in the legs (though usually i have been kicking them in the ribs if they've gotten that close). there have been numerous times that i've thrown rocks. there are a few blocks in particular that have multiple loose dogs that have formed small packs, and those packs are far more aggressive than a single territorial dog.

guess what; none of them are pit bulls.

i know that momonkey doesn't believe it, but not a single one of these dogs is a pit, or even a mix with any largely identifiable pit bloodline (i'm sure that mo has some conspiracy theory about how they all have just enough pit blood in them to keep them unrecognizable, but still make them crazy, homicidal maniacs). there are, however, several labs, several chow mixes, several shepherds, several cattle dogs, a few golden retrievers, and a mastiff that are causing me problems.

my dog still likes other dogs, but she is definitely more wary around and less trusting of strange dogs since we have been routinely attacked in the streets. i have been a little reluctant to start a crusade in this town, though i think i should start making a stink about it now. it is to the point that i am taking my knife with me on every walk i go on out here, and if another one gets close enough that i have to kick it, i'm gonna put it out of its misery instead. one way or another, these "rural" neighbors are going to start locking their dogs up.
I wonder if a pack of pit bulls would have been discouraged the way the non pit bulls were.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:14 AM

you're right, the supernatural evil pit bulls would probably have shot their quills at stycotl, hypnotized him and his dog with their voodoo powers, bitten them, sucked their blood, and turned them into more pit bulls. that's how they reproduce, you know.

i know it's not exciting, but the truth is it would have depended on the pit bulls. obviously stycotl's evil pit didn't respond to being attacked by viciously killing the dogs of less evil breeds.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 AM

video of a dog fighting raid in missouri, the largest ever to date: Raid video shows conditions of seized pit bulls

you can see how much danger the people are from the dogs - danger of being licked to death! despite everything that people have put these dogs through, despite their scars and injuries, they greet the people with tails wagging and just want to be near them. it's heartbreaking. one of the scariest looking ones (who had her lips ripped off in the ring, exposing her teeth - you can see her in the video) is one of the sweetest, according to the volunteers a humane society in oregon that has taken in many of the dogs.

<St.Louis>

There's one little girl we all find amazing. This dog could melt even the most cold heart. Her upper and lower lips have been torn off. This leaves her with a grotesque, teeth-baring sneer. How she has managed to remain so sweet and gentle to humans is a mystery. She's always happy to see me and pleased for any amount of kindness. Her tail is forever wagging, and her eyes show the smile within.

Last edited by groar; 09-27-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 10:32 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,459,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy268 View Post
I wonder if a pack of pit bulls would have been discouraged the way the non pit bulls were.
groar already covered this pretty well, but i'll reiterate. my pit, matsi, usually thinks that the dogs are trying to play with her when they charge at us along the side of the road. even the last one that i was kicking in the head, while it was biting at her, she was wagging her tail and dancing around the same way that she does when she is playing with my parents' border collie, or the pug next door. she was playing. the shepherd-retriever mix was not playing. it never is; even when it is locked up, if we pass that house, it is trying to jump over the fence in order to get at us.

there are two black labs only a block away from me that are luckily locked up (every time except for one). they bark and snarl and growl even at children walking down the road. the one time that one of those labs was out, it ran up to us and only a rock thrown at it from close range deterred it from attacking.

some of you really do ascribe supernatural powers to pit bulls. sure, there are dogs that won't back down when threatened or hurt. some pit bulls are like that. but the reality is that other dogs do just the same thing. the mastiff that i mentioned last post was one such dog; my threats, thrown rocks, and other stuff didn't phase it in the least. the only thing that stopped it was when we reached the property line and were out of its protected area. if it claimed the neighbor's yard too (which is generally the case with dogs left loose to roam the neighborhood), then i would have had a fight with a 100+ lb dog on my hands. anyone that thinks my 50-lb pit mix would have killed the mastiff just because she is a magical pit bull is delerious.

again, she wasn't even acting aggressive during that encounter.

so much for those myths.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:39 PM

100 posts, read 213,089 times
Pit Bulls cannot "lock their jaws"

Old 09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorseherb View Post
Pit Bulls cannot "lock their jaws"
We know that... but they do have strong jaw muscles and that stubborn terrier mentality that causes them to stay in the red zone longer and not release their hold. But yes, we all know that they can't "lock their jaws". And consider that some pit bull owners carry a "break stick" with them in order to pry open their dog's mouth in case he does bite someone or some dog. They just are very stubborn about releasing their victims when they bite. It's difficult for a single person to open their mouths when they are clamped on a body part.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.
How about going after the owners? And your wrong in that there are no safe pit bulls? In fact, pit bulls are one of the safest breeds of dogs to be around humans and they make the WORSE guard dogs because the aggression of attacking humans have been breeded to the minimum.

You see, dog men back in the day (people who fight dogs) would kill any pit that would attack a human simply to have the safety of handling these dogs in the pit. Any pit that attacks humans are called man eaters and in the old days they put them down. They only would breed APBT to be aggressive towards other dogs and they only breed other dogs with game (Grand Champion) dogs.

The problem is that we live in a age were HUMANS are incredibly stupid and they don't take a page from the past to learn, so today you get young irresponsible guys who TRAIN there dogs to be aggressive towards EVERYTHING and then let them run loose in the neighborhoods. Many times they escape because idiots underestimate the ability of the APBT as they can make it over 7-8ft fences.

Also, I would also argue that today dogs are going crazy do to all the inbreeding that we are subjecting them to!!
Another thing is all the CRAP FOOD we feed them!!! All the dog food you buy from the stores and at the VET office is nothing but ground up dead dogs/cats, dead cattle, and dead road kill!! Dogs are not scavengers! They eat what we eat except they eat bones and you can feed them raw meat!

So imagine if you were a inbreed and on top of that you ate your own kind everyday, I think you would go berserk after a while!!!!!!

YouTube - DEAD DOGS & CATS TURNED INTO HUMAN FOOD & COSMETICS

Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 PM

183 posts, read 115,240 times
[quote=Morphous01;10947393]How about going after the owners? And your wrong in that there are no safe pit bulls? In fact, pit bulls are one of the safest breeds of dogs to be around humans and they make the WORSE guard dogs because the aggression of attacking humans have been breeded to the minimum.

You see, dog men back in the day (people who fight dogs) would kill any pit that would attack a human simply to have the safety of handling these dogs in the pit. Any pit that attacks humans are called man eaters and in the old days they put them down. They only would breed APBT to be aggressive towards other dogs and they only breed other dogs with game (Grand Champion) dogs.

The problem is that we live in a age were HUMANS are incredibly stupid and they don't take a page from the past to learn, so today you get young irresponsible guys who TRAIN there dogs to be aggressive towards EVERYTHING and then let them run loose in the neighborhoods. Many times they escape because idiots underestimate the ability of the APBT as they can make it over 7-8ft fences.

Also, I would also argue that today dogs are going crazy do to all the inbreeding that we are subjecting them to!! Another thing is all the CRAP FOOD we feed them!!! All the dog food you buy from the stores and at the VET office is nothing but ground up dead dogs/cats, dead cattle, and dead road kill!! Dogs are not scavengers! They eat what we eat except they eat bones and you can feed them raw meat!

So imagine if you were a inbreed and on top of that you ate your own kind everyday, I think you would go berserk after a while!!!!!!

Having said all that, why would you want these dogs around children?

The ones that attack humans are not destroyed.

They are routinely trained to be aggressive.

They can escape enclosures.

They are crazy because they are inbred.

These are your words, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies