Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

IMO, the CA Supreme Court will affirm Prop 8.

Then the issue becomes, what to do with those who had ceremonies performed.

The other issue was, is and will be, the States that do not recognize same sex marriages as legal such as neighboring Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 02:21 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, the CA Supreme Court will affirm Prop 8.

Then the issue becomes, what to do with those who had ceremonies performed.

The other issue was, is and will be, the States that do not recognize same sex marriages as legal such as neighboring Arizona.
I think the same-sex marriage licenses that were granted last summer will be allowed to remain intact.

What are you saying about other states like Arizona? The Defense Of Marriage Act protects them from having to recognize marriages from out of state. Are you talking about something other than that?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
I think allowing the ceramonies that did take place to stand would make them overturn prop 8... because imagine.. two gay people who want to get married have friends who did get married when they could.. and it's allowed to stand.. but can't happen anymore... that's just a huge hole for continued challenges... I think the court has much more foresight in recognizing all the issues... especially considering the fact that it only passed by 52 percent... comparing that to the vote in 2000.. its certainly shows that the opinion of this issue is changing.. and to make a final lasting change to the constitution in light of such.. would be a mistake and unethical...i see them ruling that it requires a 2/3 majority to change the fundementals of the constitution in this manner.. and throwing prop 8 out the window.. and the people against gay marriage in california will never be able to get a 2/3 vote.. in fact I would venture to say after the fact.. recognizing everything their yes on 8 vote did.. I'd say if the vote was held tomorrow.. they'd have a hard time conjuring up 50 percent.... considering the fact that Iowa of all places has supported it.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
No, I don't think it will ever go back to the electorate. The court will re-instate gay marriage or tell the governor\ legislature to change all civil involvement in recognizing relationships. How the court invalidates the vote may require some strong-arm judicial intervention [like equal rights in the 1960's South].
I fail to see your comparison between racism and the definition of marriage as valid. Thats almost as ridiculous as your Nazi vs. Gay republican's comparison.

African Americans were excluded from everything and it was not illegal to treat them like s***. With gay people, they are treated just like everyone else with the exception of the title of "marriage." There are laws in place to make sure gay people are treated fairly in the workplace and elsewhere; that did not exist with black people. Personally, I think any black person would probably be offended by that comparison, especially ones who lived that.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
African Americans were excluded from everything and it was not illegal to treat them like s***. With gay people, they are treated just like everyone else with the exception of the title of "marriage." There are laws in place to make sure gay people are treated fairly in the workplace and elsewhere; that did not exist with black people.
But you're making comparisons between the present and the past, so that's not really fair. Did you do that consciously?

The experiences of the two groups haven't been the same, but there are some similarities.

Gay men and women were regularly arrested and taken to jail just for socializing together. Did you know that?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:39 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
Comparing the civil rights movement and the gay rights movement is ridiculous. There is no comparison and that is absolutely no way to get the 70%+ of African-Americans to change their minds on same-sex marriage.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Default What do you think of "gay" Democrats?

Is this thread for real? What's the point?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Is this thread for real? What's the point?
Yes it's for real. Do you think the discussion would have gone on this long if it wasn't for real?

The point is: What do you think of gay Republicans? Duh.

If you can't handle it, or have nothing constructive to add, then you can ignore the thread.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Liberal Tolerance: America's greatest oxymoron. Oh, he'll comeback with, "I will not be tolerant of hatred and bigotry", but what he won't tell you is that he gets to define it. How awesome is that; I get to make my own rules and anyone who doesn't adhere to them will be called names. Sounds just like your average 7 year old.
This is so, so true, and I get so weary of it. These Democrats in their white hats are the most intolerant bunch one will ever run across.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Comparing the civil rights movement and the gay rights movement is ridiculous. There is no comparison and that is absolutely no way to get the 70%+ of African-Americans to change their minds on same-sex marriage.
It's not ridiculous. There is a comparison to be made. The experiences have not been the same, but there are similarities.

I'm not sure why you brought up the same-sex marriage issue as it pertains to African-Americans. Who said that gays are trying to get African-Americans to change their minds on same-sex marriage? That's not the point of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies