Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
.....some racial attack.
It is what it is as you wrote it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
. . . millions (the MAJORITY) of Catholics voted for Obama... I bet plenty of them use condoms and birth control pills as well. I guess they are not "Catholics".
I've seen stats that ~85% of Catholics pay no heed to the Vatican on use of the pill or barrier methods of passive birth control. That's just the ones who would admit to it. The figure is probably closer to 98%. The proof is all around us, none of the Catholics I know, including in my family, have the sort of large family that prior generations did. My B-I-L was one of 8 kids, but he and my sister owned had two kids.

I'm sure the Hispanics can support Obama a lot easier than they can a GOP candidate.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
THIRD time you ASSume Hispanic's don't know what partial birth abortion is and now you're ASSuming they don't speak English. Dear Squirrel, you are displaying all the signs of prejudice and racism.

AND, I am Hispanic, two advanced degrees(the majority of my relatives are college graduates), forth generation American but really, always an American. My ancestors were forced to cede their land to Texas in the early 1800's.
Thanks for calling me names. Anyone who have "advanced degrees" shouldn't have to resort to profanity. Trust me, I am not impressed by your education. People who feel like they need to flaunt it have self esteem issues.

I would be willing to bet that most PEOPLE do not know what partial birth abortions are.

Stop this nonsense and attacking. I was not being racial. You sound like you should be in NY or San Fran with your comments. I bet the people in Texas love people like you with your attitude.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Anyone who follows their religion or the Bible word-for-word is going to have a touch time fully functioning in a modern society.
Can't rep you but know, you are so correct!!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you about the teachings of the Catholic Church but I can tell you that it is not an "option" and if the people who use condoms would tell their priest that they are using birth control, they would not be allowed to receive the sacraments.

They can call themselves what ever they want but it is against the teachings and that is what I am talking about here. If they are going to make up their own rules as they go along (Pelosi, Biden,etc) then they might as well chose another religion that suits them better. They are only lying to themselves if they only follow certain rules.

Quit attacking me over this. I was just asking a question. I respect Hispanic people for their devoution to their faith. I could never be so devouted. It was just a simple question. Stop making it out to be some racial attack.
you may think you respect Hispanic people for their devotion to god, but the rest of your comments seem to indicate otherwise. my uess is that there are millions of catholics that use birth control and still go to church. so to get up on a high horse about Hispanics that you assume to be going against their church, post that they are lying to themselves and should find another church is over the top. like I said millions of catholics use birth control. I think your arguement should be how can a religious person support partical birth abortion and leave it at that

Old 05-10-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you may think you respect Hispanic people for their devotion to god, but the rest of your comments seem to indicate otherwise. my uess is that there are millions of catholics that use birth control and still go to church. so to get up on a high horse about Hispanics that you assume to be going against their church, post that they are lying to themselves and should find another church is over the top. like I said millions of catholics use birth control. I think your arguement should be how can a religious person support partical birth abortion and leave it at that
Hey Maui~ I am NOT getting on a high horse about Hispanic's. I realize that many Catholics use BC, etc. BUT the Hispanic patients that I have had were very devout Catholics. They didn't pick and choose rules that they wanted to obey. One of the hardest things to follow is to not use BC and to have more children when you aren't wealthy. SOOOOO with that in mind, if they are willing to take on the burden of having more children because of their relgious beliefs, I was wondering how they could support a person who supported partial birth abortions.

I do think that many people Hispanic and others do not understand it. AND if someone would have taken the time to make sure they understood, I do think it would have made them not be able to support him.

I have MANY Hispanic patients who were able to vote and they have very limited comprehension of the English language.

Maui~ I have a question...were you born in Hawaii?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for calling me names. Anyone who have "advanced degrees" shouldn't have to resort to profanity. Trust me, I am not impressed by your education. People who feel like they need to flaunt it have self esteem issues.

I would be willing to bet that most PEOPLE do not know what partial birth abortions are.

Stop this nonsense and attacking. I was not being racial. You sound like you should be in NY or San Fran with your comments. I bet the people in Texas love people like you with your attitude.
I call it as I see it! And you are correct, I 'flaunt' my education as often as I can. There are so many people in the world who make ASSumptions about what someone can, cannot or should accomplish based on their ethnicity that it's important to me to let everyone that thinks that way know they are wrong. I want children of Hispanic descent to see me as a role model and know that if a Hispanic girl from a blue collar neighborhood in Chicago, Illinois can accomplish what I have, they can, too.

As you wrote it, it is racial.

If 'most people' that you know, don't know what partial birth abortion is, I guess they lack the education or curiosity to find out what it is.

While I love both cities, SF and NYC, I don't live there. And what the heck does that have to do with how or what I think; more stereotyping....

Old 05-10-2009, 07:13 PM

Careful, hothulamaui, I think you're about to be pigeonholed!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Careful, hothulamaui, I think you're about to be pigeonholed!
Quit assuming things. I am asking Maui that based on a previous conversation Maui and I had. It has nothing to do with you!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
I have MANY Hispanic patients who were able to vote and they have very limited comprehension of the English language.
You seem to have a big investment in thinking of your patients as uneducated. National-level U.S. political campaigns have been making ads in Spanish since at least 1960.

YouTube - 1960 - Jackie Kennedy Spanish Ad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies