Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM

943 posts, read 786,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How many generations do we need to pass before africans get it together? The african countries gained freedom roughly around the same time as the civil rights era in this country. These people have a lot of advantages over black americans and look how africa is regressing.
Its basically the pot calling the kettle black. What if I came to an African country,say South Africa as an immigrant and compared the plight of say,the white south africans and the black south africans. I would probably get beheaded. Btw,with all the freedom they have some abysmal statistics.
Exactly. EdwardA's Ghana is hardly the most functional country in the world.

On top of that, African immigrants and black Caribbean immigrants to the USA are not the typical profile of their home country. While immigration is increasing among foreign blacks, they are still minuscule compared to the black american population. Until we see more foreign blacks in the USA I am not sure if we can even compare the two populations.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,777,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Exactly. EdwardA's Ghana is hardly the most functional country in the world.

On top of that, African immigrants and black Caribbean immigrants to the USA are not the typical profile of their home country. While immigration is increasing among foreign blacks, they are still minuscule compared to the black american population. Until we see more foreign blacks in the USA I am not sure if we can even compare the two populations.
As well, the children or, grandchildren, especially, of African/Caribbean immigrants tend to identify with African Americans rather than their ancestral cultures. So the assimilation pull is strong.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,493,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As well, the children or, grandchildren, especially, of African/Caribbean immigrants tend to identify with African Americans rather than their ancestral cultures. So the assimilation pull is strong.
This is true I've read somewhere by the 2nd generation there is little difference in performance between Black Americans and Caribbean Americans. Not sure if there are enough 2nd generation Africans in America to make a similar study.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,777,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is true I've read somewhere by the 2nd generation there is little difference in performance between Black Americans and Caribbean Americans. Not sure if there are enough 2nd generation Africans in America to make a similar study.
There will be, soon enough.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Oh I missed the identification part of your post. It really depends, a lot of the younger Ghanaian Americans out here in the DC area actually identify pretty strongly with Ghana. This is different from when I was coming up when our parents were instructed to only speak English at home. The few of Ghanaian Americans I knew growing up in the 80s either gravitated towards either black or white Americans.

My younger cousins speak Twi go to Ghanaian hiphop parties and date each other which was not the experience of my immediate peers or myself. I'm also noticing this among other West African groups like Nigerians and Sierra Leoneans.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
There will be, soon enough.
Yup we got some in our family. So far so good but the oldest in the next generation in our family is 3.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,312,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
I never experienced racism from a hispanic until i came to south florida....i just find it odd. Can someone explain it me or break it down to me like a 3 year old....
I'd say you came across all the wrong people. Hispanics and Cubans I know don't have problems with anyone.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM

609 posts, read 1,144,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I'd say you came across all the wrong people. Hispanics and Cubans I know don't have problems with anyone.
It hasn't been racism, more like fear. I guess they assume I'm the violent type by how I look....so people avoid me. I don't sag my pants or anything like that, but people are leery of me.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,972,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,what I don't get is this: how can any immigrant look down on black americans when there own countries are third world hell holes? Worse still is the fact those countries are 90% black. Even hispanics,how can they talk about anyone when there own countries are third world trash? They are the majorities in their own countries and speak the same language,so what's the problem?

Black americans aren't even the majority in America.
That cracks me up, people come over here from countries where they rape babies as a cure for AIDS and talk about violent American Black people.

The hypocrisy makes you want to up chuck.

When was the last time Black people in America did something this animalistic?
http://www.worldstaruncut.com/uncut/35476

Old 09-11-2011, 01:34 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,606,220 times
For the same reason why everyone else dislikes blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies