Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro choice or pro life?
I am pro-life with children 79 18.12%
I am pro-life without children 69 15.83%
No opinion-don't care 18 4.13%
I am pro-choice with children 124 28.44%
I am pro-choice without children 146 33.49%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM

31 posts, read 46,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Abortion DOES NOT often cause a woman's death, you are more likely to die from childbirth.
You may want to read up on those "facts". Death in childbirth doesn't happen very much anymore with the medical advancements we have developed. Death to the baby and many times the women however happens a lot but it is usually reported as complications after the abortion - such as internal bleeding would be the listed cause of death to the women.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
No, you want that to be the point. Anti choice activists don't want to examine the actual situation, nor the consequences. You just want lines to be drawn and definitions to be specified. Many open minded people just can't make laws based on that, because there is real life to consider also.

I hope you realize that by outlawing abortions, you're just forcing women to go through illegal channels to get it done anyways. Endangering many young girls and putting even more people in jail. You will literally accomplish nothing.
It's human from the moment of conception. It's not a frog or a bunch of gunk and then somehow becomes human later on... We all know this as the science community has exposed this with inside the womb pictures. If you have never seen them, I encourage you to look them up. They are truly awesome... even when the baby is only about one inch long. It still is a HUMAN.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBmarybeth View Post
It's human from the moment of conception. It's not a frog or a bunch of gunk and then somehow becomes human later on... We all know this as the science community has exposed this with inside the womb pictures. If you have never seen them, I encourage you to look them up. They are truly awesome... even when the baby is only about one inch long. It still is a HUMAN.
You didn't respond to my post at all. Outlawing abortions isn't going to stop them, you show your naivete in thinking it will. Read my post again, you are accomplishing nothing at all.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Having an abortion helped me greatly, it was one of the smartest decisions I made in my life.

www.imnotsorry.net
Well, I am sorry then- . Best of luck for the rest of your life.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
You didn't respond to my post at all. Outlawing abortions isn't going to stop them, you show your naivete in thinking it will. Read my post again, you are accomplishing nothing at all.
I don't think I ever said outlawing abortions will end abortions either. I know it won't... and actually I don't think I ever said I think abortions will be outlawed. I don't think they will -- regardless of all our medical advancements and political discussions. But that's another story.

Just because "people" make something legal, doesn't mean it's right. Think about that. Maybe some day, it will be legal to kill the elderly or the mental retarded - would that make it right?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,516 times
Quote:
I don't think I ever said outlawing abortions will end abortions either. I know it won't... and actually I don't think I ever said I think abortions will be outlawed. I don't think they will -- regardless of all our medical advancements and political discussions. But that's another story.

Just because "people" make something legal, doesn't mean it's right. Think about that. Maybe some day, it will be legal to kill the elderly or the mental retarded - would that make it right?
Are you really reading what you're saying? Its like you don't even want to debate you just want to hear yourself talk. What is your point then, if you don't think abortions should be outlawed? I mean if you don't think they should be outlawed, then you think they should be legal... and thats what this thread has been all about.

You're confirming my notion that you come here just to spout your beliefs as fact, rather than coming in with an open mind that you may not know everything.

Abortions are a necessary evil, and as multiple people have told you from their own personal experiences, they could be the right CHOICE for some people. Do you really want to take away that choice?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
You may want to read up on those "facts". Death in childbirth doesn't happen very much anymore with the medical advancements we have developed. Death to the baby and many times the women however happens a lot but it is usually reported as complications after the abortion - such as internal bleeding would be the listed cause of death to the women.
I've done plenty of research on the "facts". You should really educate yourself further on this matter. Childbirth is statistically far more dangerous than abortion. 10 times more dangerous in fact.

Abortion is a VERY safe medical procedure. VERY few women die after a legal abortion. 4-11 a year.

Get "In the Know": Safety of Abortion (http://www.guttmacher.org/in-the-know/safety.html - broken link)

Quote:
The risk of abortion complications is minimal when the procedure is performed by a trained professional in a hygienic setting: Fewer than 1% of all U.S. abortion patients experience a major complication. The risk of death associated with abortion in the United States is less than 0.6 per 100,000 procedures, which is less than one-tenth as large as the risk associated with childbirth

Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendthrift View Post
Why not lock the other abortion threads? It appears the Republican Party is pushing down on her favorite issue now that they're not in power. There will be multiple threads on this topic until the next Republican victory. One is enough.
How odd. Tell me if I got this right. City data members (the republican party?) are focusing on abortion because the dems are in power (huh?). Then you predict that that will continue until the Republicans have success at the polls. And you want this done on a single thread.
Or this. Your speaking more broadly. The party itself is making a deliberate effort to stir up the abortion debate to even more isolate itself from new members it wishes to convert. And you want their efforts here on CD to be on a single thread.
Or more likely this. You have no idea but you like the way the sentences sound together.
Oh and one other thing. The Republican party is a dude, not a chick.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Most species do not intentionally kill their young.

I'd like to understand what you are saying about natural selection here.

So is evolution the justification for abortion, in your view? Do you basically view humans as just an animal?
A very quick check brought this up.And this includes after birth!

"Infanticide has been found in many species, including humans and other primates, cats, dogs, whales, rodents, insects and fish. "

Full article here
Wild Animals: Animals that kill their young, dominant animals, cot deaths

Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Are you really reading what you're saying? Its like you don't even want to debate you just want to hear yourself talk. What is your point then, if you don't think abortions should be outlawed? I mean if you don't think they should be outlawed, then you think they should be legal... and thats what this thread has been all about.

You're confirming my notion that you come here just to spout your beliefs as fact, rather than coming in with an open mind that you may not know everything.

Abortions are a necessary evil, and as multiple people have told you from their own personal experiences, they could be the right CHOICE for some people. Do you really want to take away that choice?
No, if you read what I said, it was "I don't think abortions will be outlawed" even with all our medical advancements that show that at a very early age in justation, the baby is more than a clump of cells. That is just the nature of the beast.

My point was, that just because something is a law, doesn't mean the law is right or even a good. Take for instance slavery. THAT law wasn't a good and thank God it was changed to make all persons free in our land.

If you hang your hat on the premise, that it is the law and therefore is right, watch out! Maybe a law will be made someday that will hurt you too. ie: In the future will our quality of life be judged by the law? Will the elderly just be put to a quiet sleep and death because they are no longer useful to us... or it's easier and the young can live their lives without interruption? Will I or you be a part of that elderly crowd? Those days may not be too far from our future.

As far as a debate... am I not allowed to speak my mind? Do I have to agree with you in order to debate? I wouldn't say abortions are a necessary evil. Most (maybe even as high as 98%) of all abortions could be avoided if people wanted them to be. That's the key. People don't want them to be avoided... so they won't. Doesn't make it right though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies