Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Dogfighting is wrong, but it's a sub-culture found all across America. Funny how people latch on to a famous person and turn him into pinata, but if they found themselves in a similar position, they'd expect the neighbors to respect their privacy after doing the time.

I don't get the double-standard that rule so many people's lives.
Famous people, especially sports people, have a responsibility to help improve society. Vick failed at that. (Click to read more on the concept of "social responsibilty" here.)

The double standard does not exist on this issue. Vick's actions were so far from the norms of Americans who support football (with their money--as in "customers") that Vick should never have a chance at celebrity status again. Should he ever return to public life it should be as one who has a web cam in his cell. That way others can see that regardless of how special or talented one thinks he is, he still must ascribe to society's norms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:55 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I hear what you're saying, however people like this who do this type of behavior...it's usually not their first time nor will it be their last time. It's just like an abusive husband/boyfriend/partner/parent etc. They may not get caught, but they're still doing it behind closed doors, mark my word. Plus, I wonder what some think of that Chris Brown who beat up Rihanna, do you think he should be given a second chance or do you think he should be crucified? In my opinion, I hope his career is over. Again, an abuser. No sympathy. And in most circumstances, I'm very forgiving of people & believe most deserve a second & even a third chance. This type of circumstance though, no way. How do you guys feel about sexual abusers? Do they deserve another chance after doing their time?
Do sex abusers deserve another chance at life after serving their time? Of course they do. If not, then let's just kill them when they are convicted. The whole point of prison is to deter, isolate and rehabilitate. Just like sex offenders can go and make a living with the provision that they stay away from certain populations, Vick should be allowed to make a living and stay away from dogs... or whatever restriction is reasonable. Now, if a team does not want him on their roster for moral reasons, then that's fine... it would be absurd of course given the resumes of some of these football players... but that would be their perogative.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Dogfighting is wrong, but it's a sub-culture found all across America. Funny how people latch on to a famous person and turn him into pinata, but if they found themselves in a similar position, they'd expect the neighbors to respect their privacy after doing the time.

I don't get the double-standard that rule so many people's lives.
What about all the interstate gambling laws he violated? I think the fact that he's famous (and rich) helped Michael Vicks a lot. Anyone else who was involved in drugs and gambling and convicted in running a multi-million dollar interstate gambling operation, would have been locked up for at least 10 years.

Regarding your statement (that I put in bold) I report people all the time for animal cruelty and would expect my neighbors to do the same. The problem is that most people DO look the other way. Go back and read some of my posts and you'll know I've rescued abused animals and I've reported neighbors who tie their dogs up and don't provide proper shelter or care for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Do sex abusers deserve another chance at life after serving their time? Of course they do.
Really? They do? When was the last time your 5 year old daughter or son got raped and you forgave the pervert who hurt her? There are some people who do not deserve a second chance and most sex offenders fall into this group. It's a very broad category, so I'm not talking about urinating in the street.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:03 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I have a question to all.

Should Mike Vick get a second chance at being a player in the NFL?

YES, perhaps he can regain some of what he has lost due to the stupidity of the legal system. They have destroyed his life for lying. He did not murder a human being. Somewhere we must draw the line. He should have been punished but not destroyed. jmo

Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
YES, perhaps he can regain some of what he has lost due to the stupidity of the legal system. They have destroyed his life for lying. He did not murder a human being. Somewhere we must draw the line. He should have been punished but not destroyed. jmo
Well it's a good thing he didn't torture your pet, you might feel differently.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:15 PM

212 posts, read 573,046 times
if michael vick was not famous he would not have been caught. where i am from new orleans they fight dogs all day long, no one gets caught. that's just the south.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:17 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
There are few thug mentality teams that might take him but why bother. It's too bad he was so stupid and ignorant like that but he's a grown man, paid his debt and will have to move on with his life as best he can. Kicking him around won't help him adjust to just being an average Joe Shmo that has to work a 9 to 5 job.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well it's a good thing he didn't torture your pet, you might feel differently.
I don't own a pet. I could care less about them. However, I respect pet lovers. Is that OK with you. I value human life .

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I have a question to all.

Should Mike Vick get a second chance at being a player in the NFL?

IMO. Yes. He served his time, let the man make a living.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol11 View Post
if michael vick was not famous he would not have been caught. where i am from new orleans they fight dogs all day long, no one gets caught. that's just the south.
ITA this was just to make an example out of him. The south is known for dog fighting and it did not start with black men!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies