Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I haven't read through the posts or even through the OP....but I will comment on the quote in the title.

How could he not have realized this a looooooong time ago?
if you read the OP, be sure to find my post maybe on the next page and continue reading the interview-- the OP's source left out a lot of what Obama said at a crucial point, and the entire interview (linked at my post) puts the sheep-scare headline into context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
if you read the OP, be sure to find my post maybe on the next page and continue reading the interview-- the OP's source left out a lot of what Obama said at a crucial point, and the entire interview (linked at my post) puts the sheep-scare headline into context.
Will do when I have time later tonight.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Lol - dont blame you - WAY later

also didnt mean to be bossy about "MY post, MY post." Here's the link to the transcript of the whole interview:

PRESIDENT OBAMA DISCUSSES FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ISSUES IN EXCLUSIVE C-SPAN INTERVIEW — ButAsForMe (http://www.butasforme.com/2009/05/24/president-obama-discusses-foreign-and-domestic-issues-in-exclusive-c-span-interview/ - broken link)

Old 05-25-2009, 04:44 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Oh, look. Here's the part Drudge left out.

PRESIDENT OBAMA DISCUSSES FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC ISSUES IN EXCLUSIVE C-SPAN INTERVIEW" ButAsForMe (http://www.butasforme.com/2009/05/24/president-obama-discusses-foreign-and-domestic-issues-in-exclusive-c-span-interview/ - broken link)

So, one option is just to do nothing. We say, well, it’s too expensive for us to make some short-term investments in health care. We can’t afford it. We’ve got this big deficit. Let’s just keep the health care system that we’ve got now.

Along that trajectory, we will see health care cost as an overall share of our federal spending grow and grow and grow and grow until essentially it consumes everything.[excluded part begins here >] That’s the wrong option.

I think the right option is to say, where are the game changers, the investments that we can make now that are going to reduce costs, even if they don’t reduce them this year or next year, but 10 years from now or 20 years from now, we are going to see substantially lower costs.

And if - one of the very promising areas that we saw was these insurance companies, drug companies, hospitals, all these stakeholders coming together, committing to me that they would reduce costs by 1.5 percent per year.

If we do that, it seems like small number, we end up saving $2 trillion. $2 trillion, which not only can help deal with our deficit and our long-term debt, but a lot of those savings can go back into the pockets of American consumers in the form of lower premiums. That’s what we are driving for.[<end excluded part]
"..committing to me"? It always about 0bama isn't it? How about committing to the American people.

TORTE reform would go a lot further then 1.5%, in reducing costs. It a start anyway, but $2 trillion in 20 years is a drop in the bucket to the debt 0bama is laying on us.

You'd think from what 0bama just said, he has no intention of sticking his nose into health care and coming up with government mandates... I seriously doubt that.

Maybe I am just being too skeptical, but 0bama has done more damage to this country in 5 months, then I ever imagined, so forgive me for not thinking he wants to control our health care and the entire health care industry.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
"..committing to me"? It always about 0bama isn't it? How about committing to the American people.
He had a meeting with them and he asked them and they they DID commit, to him personally.

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...,7328692.story

as for being skeptical - we're not nearly out of the woods and there's no guarantee about any of this.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:35 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
He had a meeting with them and he asked them and they they DID commit, to him personally.

Healthcare groups join Obama at negotiating table - Los Angeles Times

as for being skeptical - we're not nearly out of the woods and there's no guarantee about any of this.
I know that. But 0bama IS us, they commit to us, we the American people, not to 0bama the man. But then this has been his way, everything is about him, "I did this" and "I did that," "they committed to me". It's his egocentric, view of the world. We elect presidents to represent us, to act on our behave, treaties etc... are made with America and the American people, not personally to president. I know it sounds like a small bone of contention, but this guy is such a narcissist.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:41 PM

37,178 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
I know that. But 0bama IS us, they commit to us, we the American people, not to 0bama the man. But then this has been his way, everything is about him, "I did this" and "I did that," "they committed to me". It's his egocentric, view of the world. We elect presidents to represent us, to act on our behave, treaties etc... are made with America and the American people, not personally to president. I know it sounds like a small bone of contention, but this guy is such a narcissist.
You mean like "I'm the Decider"?

Nah. Nobody could EVER be that arrogant again.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,086,339 times
0bama: 'WE'RE OUT OF MONEY'

Holy Cow! This is one smart guy!

He had to borrow the TRILLIONS and he just figured out we are out of money? See it is important to go to college!

Old 05-25-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
But they DID commit to him, in the meeting. He represents us, so they committed to us via him....as you say he IS us.

I see what you mean, it would have been nice if he'd said they committed to US and been inclusive, but I dont think it's a deal-breaker. I dont see him as narcissistic for putting it that way.

Our takes on so much of the Obama-interpreting are so subjective. You hear it one way I hear it another way. Same with Sanrene's thread - a perfectly innocuous statement that some people "hear" one way in their heads and others "hear" way differently. I was the same way with GWB, didnt trust a word out of his smirky little mouth. So.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Well I want to see it on paper with a timeline and numbers.

GM "committed" to paying back those loans, didn't it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies