Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM

38,007 posts, read 22,187,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
To lock homosexuals up
To have everyone be a Christian
Make birth control illegal
Make abortion illegal
Make everyone attend religiously affiliated schools and colleges
Make life miserable for anyone who ISN'T a Christian or heterosexual
you have a strawman in particular, or do you actually have an elected politician, mainstream lunatic, Christian fringe, authoritarian, wacko in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,674,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That's a given, they believe that the fetus is a human baby.

But the left does not want to just make both of these legal, they want you and me to pay for it with our tax dollars.

I don't believe it is a baby.

What?? You mean bible thumpers like Mel Gibson want to make divorce illegal or something?

Yes. They want to protect the santicity of marriage correct?

??? They want to make these illegal too? Like lock people up for engaging in these actions?

Yes. Sodomy laws still exist in many places, you can, indeed, be locked up for engaging in those actions.

They want both taught, but I concede your vague point.

There are plenty of people in that camp who, in fact, do not want the theory of evolution taught at all in schools.

What? They want to ban it from schools, or just allow their children to opt out of it?

Yes, ban it. There was such a lawsuit in my very hometown... not to opt out, to fully ban any teaching of it in our HS. Along with teaching about other religions such as Hinduism, Buddism and Islam in Global Studies.

Like the profanity we are not allowed to display in these forums?

This is a private forum, the owners can set their own rules. Not Government mandated

What, to forcefully make non-believers pray, or to just allow them to do so quietly?

To pray in a classroom.

Don't be afraid to be specific.
Answers above. Keep in mind, we are not discussing Christians in general, we are discussing the Religious Right... who for some reason actually targeted my HS back in the 90's with a barrage of lawsuits relating to reglion, earth day, magic cards, and sex ed.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM

I'll try to find reference to that lawsuit on the net as an example. Keep in mind this was in 1996 so it may be difficult. My HS was sued by a group from the religious right because:

We had a tepee during an Earth Day celebration and sang a Native American Song about the Earth (they said we were praying to the Earth Gods)
We had an afterschool club for Magic the Gathering Cards (they said this was demonic and evil)
We learned about and painted a sculpture of a Hindu god in Global Studies Class (they said this was worshiping a God)
Our school offered an afterschool yoga class taught by a Sikh (they saw this as some sort of religious instruction)

They actually bussed people in from out of state to the meetings held at the high school on this matter to protest.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,687,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What are, in your opinion, the ultimate goals of the religious right?
The same as the religious left and both are bad for freedom and the individual liberty.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,489,971 times
Religious Right has all the same control issues as the Ludicrous Left. One thinks the federal government and the courts should be in control of society direction and the other thinks the people (majority vote) should be...

That crazy loony wacky religious right....

This whole thing is ridiculous.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 AM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
I know the left want to force:

Abortion
Gay lifestyles
BULL!
Quote:

What is it exactly that the Christian right wants to force you to pay for?
We already pay for the tax-free status of churches, IF they want involvement in politics let them pay like everyone else. What a bunch of DeadBeats!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,588,634 times
Quote:
Yup, just like liberals demanding that everyone must pay taxes to support abortion on demand and gay marriages.

Besides their opinions on abortion and gay lifestyles, what else do you think the Christians have on their agenda, that they want to force upon you?

I know the left want to force:

Abortion
Gay lifestyles
green energy
AGW mandates
ever expanding government give-away programs
increased taxes
increased centralized federal government control

Seem like the left wants to force a lot of stuff on us, and they want us to pay for it all.

What is it exactly that the Christian right wants to force you to pay for?

You sound angry.

Has someone forced an abortion on anyone you know?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
They want to force me to save my soul by paying them a tithe. The Religious right is all about MONEY. It is Satan's manifestation as Mammon. They want to force people to buy indulgences on a retail level. Kind of like a Wal-mart of God. They would also like to replace investigative science with faith so all can be happy because God loves them.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'll try to find reference to that lawsuit on the net as an example. Keep in mind this was in 1996 so it may be difficult. My HS was sued by a group from the religious right because:

We had a tepee during an Earth Day celebration and sang a Native American Song about the Earth (they said we were praying to the Earth Gods)
We had an afterschool club for Magic the Gathering Cards (they said this was demonic and evil)
We learned about and painted a sculpture of a Hindu god in Global Studies Class (they said this was worshiping a God)
Our school offered an afterschool yoga class taught by a Sikh (they saw this as some sort of religious instruction)

They actually bussed people in from out of state to the meetings held at the high school on this matter to protest.
One of those created controversies, a "look at me" thing. I've seen it on smaller scales before but your example is just too funny! Magic the Gathering? They were really reaching wern't they? HA

Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 AM

I found an article in the NYT referring to the incident, which was brought up by 3 families who were then backed by a RR organization that organized the protests, lawsuits, etc.

School District Is Cleared In Lawsuit Over Religion - The New York Times

This is how ridiculous it was:
Quote:
The ruling means courts have now rejected all the claims originally brought by the parents, who had also taken issue with such things as a card game called Magic: The Gathering, a yoga class given by a Sikh priest, and a ''brain stimulation'' exercise that, the parents contended, promoted New Age religion by asking students to do creative exercises with their nondominant hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies