Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I agree with everything that you posted and admire your honesty.
Thank you man.

Anything else you care to add in here?

Especially about welfare. Agh!!!!

I try my hardest to not be blinded by what my political party stands for. You know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Then wouldn't it be cheaper to just kill them off? It is going to cost millions anyways, right?

If the scumbag lives for 50 years, it will cost $800,000. Why not just pay $50-$100 and kill them off?
Obviously it costs a lot more than that. In CO there was a proposal to get rid of the death penalty and use the money saved to investigate cold cases. Sounded ok to me.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
OK, I'll take a "shot" at these 3:

Illegal Imigrant: Lets start with the fact that human migration,in search of better living conditions is something that has been going on since there have been humans. Let's examine why we are so distraught about "illegal" immigration. I have a really hard time believing that most immigrants, legal or illegal, do not contribute more to society than they take, the exception being children, and it is not the children who are making to choice to migrate illegally. I live in South Central Arizona and am constantly impressed by the work ethic displayed by the Mexican and Mexican Americans that I encounter. These people work incredibly hard, ususally for a low wage, and manage to both "save" and "share" with others. . . impressive.
I remember being in the basement of my parents house a few years ago & hearing my brother & father, who are both republicans, talking about mexican immigrants. At first, I started to cringe thinking that they may say something derogatory that I would have to stand up & defend, but they didn't. They both said exactly what you said, that mexicans are extremely hard working. They've both witnessed it & were impressed. I did a silent clap for what they said, I was proud.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I understand this. This is what I think of: those men/women being led to the room, being strapped to that table & then being injected & then their body absorbing the poison as they lay there thinking "What just god would do this to me?" In actuality, I don't believe in god but for those conservatives on here who DO believe in god & also believe in the death penalty, that's why I said it. I also imagine their bodies burning & convulsing w/pain. Now, I'm sure they don't convulse, but that's what I imagine. I also think of: what in the heck are these people thinking of as that poison courses thru their body? Are they thinking of the good times in their life? Are they thinking "goddamit, goddamit to hell that I associated w/that person who put me in this position'? Are they crying? How much pain are they feeling? What are their family members thinking at the moment that is happening? These are the things I think of. Of course, I don't think of this as much as a person who is actually found guilty, but believe it or not, even for those people I think of that. Call me a bleeding heart liberal, I don't care, I can't help the way I think about things.
God? We as humans tend to blame him when things are going bad, but ignore him when everything is swell. God had nothing to do with it. They chose to take a human life. Anecdotally though, a very large percentage of those on death row, turn to God and die in peace.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
"I'm against late term abortions except to save the life/health of the mother, and even then I think an effort should be made to save the fetus. I don't like all the "victimization" talk that goes on with some Dems."

Except Sonrise is against abortion even if the mothers life is in danger.

Yes, I really do. I am sincerely hoping for a explanation. And thank you for not just coming in here and saying something rude or off topic like other people here.

Do you have any ideas you would like to throw in?
I did. Within your post in green type. Post # 25

Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,439 times
I'm ok with the death penalty.

Welfare I don't know enough about. I don't like the idea of anyone gaming the system at our collective expense - but lets not fool ourselves into thinking (some) welfare recipients are the only ones trying to cheat the system. Tax havens should provide a nice comparison point I think (compare money we lose to tax havens vs the entire welfare program cost). There's bigger fish to fry.

Illegal immigrants.. somehow I doubt the displaced residents of America thought that europeans were "legal immigrants". My ancestry is not native to America. The idea some people seem to express regarding this issue reminds me of the terrible-two's.

"Mine!"

That being said, none of these are hot-button issues for me.
If I deeply cared about these (and maybe I should) I would spend the time to research and come to a reasonable conclusion. I simply don't know enough to make a fact-based stand on immigration or welfare.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post

Illegal immigrants.. somehow I doubt the displaced residents of America thought that europeans were "legal immigrants". My ancestry is not native to America. The idea some people seem to express regarding this issue reminds me of the terrible-two's.

"Mine!"
Excellent point! See, what no one seems to REMEMBER is that the majority of us, except for native americans, are just that.....immigrants!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,604,668 times
To Theliberalvoice...........you finally have seen the light!
Welcome to the conservative way of thinking.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
To Theliberalvoice...........you finally have seen the light!
Welcome to the conservative way of thinking.
LOL. Thank you.

No, I am still a liberal who will vote Democratic but DO agree with some conservative ideas such as the above.

I may actually vote conservative IF and ONLY IF there is no fanatic religious person on there. Usually there is, so...sucks to be me.

I am more of a liberal. I agree with what Obama does sometimes. I do believe he is a better choice compared to Bush/Cheney and McCain/Palin. I am pro choice and pro gay rights and believe in public education and welfare (as long as it is not abused) and the environment.

So meanwhile I do admit to being a little conservative, I do feel I am a liberal. Oh yeah!!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Obviously it costs a lot more than that
As I mentioned in the response to her post.

The 2 lawyers, the endless appeals, the penalty phase of the trial, the list goes on and on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies