Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I guess you didn't hear about how our freaking power grid was hacked last year? Yeah, I'd consider that pretty important.

China and Russia hack into US power grid - Telegraph
And I'm sure something was done about that.. LAST year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And I'm sure something was done about that.. LAST year..
Yeah, well it happened before, and can happen again, and is a pretty important issue facing the country, don't ya think? Especially considering they think bugs have been left behind in the systems.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,055,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Either you want transparency and be informed or you don't...Which one is it?
It is the timing and method I am questioning. Is Cyber security an issue ..yes. Should it require a Presidential Press conference during these times? I hardly think so. It is a distraction from the bad economic numbers today, and the administration having no idea what to do about North Korea.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well it happened before, and can happen again, and is a pretty important issue facing the country, don't ya think? Especially considering they think bugs have been left behind in the systems.
So now you feel threatend by the cyber boogey man?

I thought we should be afriad of people flying planes into buildings. Or lunatic dictators launching missiles at US Armed Forces bases.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
So now you feel threatend by the cyber boogey man?

I thought we should be afriad of people flying planes into buildings. Or lunatic dictators launching missiles at US Armed Forces bases.
You can't be serious.

You don't feel threatened by the fact that if someone wished to launch an attack, they could shut off the power? the water?

No biggie, right?

Better believe that during the blackout I was convinced it was a distraction for another attack, and was surprised when it wasn't.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You can't be serious.

You don't feel threatened by the fact that if someone wished to launch an attack, they could shut off the power? the water?

No biggie, right?

Better believe that during the blackout I was convinced it was a distraction for another attack, and was surprised when it wasn't.
I understand that mentality having worked in Lower Manhattan but I also realize you can not feel threatened by every slight instance of insecurity.
It usually is not as bad as you think. I also believe that is what enables the government to intrude further and further and have press conferences to put this bogey man mentality in our minds.

Did we not know cyber security was an issue before this press conference? What was the point? Cyber security is an issue. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Like the Chinese are trying to hack your computer..LOL..They don't want your online Turner Diaries subscription. LOL
Not funny at all. I would never read anything like the Turner Diaries.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I understand that mentality having worked in Lower Manhattan but I also realize you can not feel threatened by every slight instance of insecurity.
It usually is not as bad as you think. I also believe that is what enables the government to intrude further and further and have press conferences to put this bogey man mentality in our minds.

Did we not know cyber security was an issue before this press conference? What was the point? Cyber security is an issue. Thanks!
I'm not threatened by every little issue at all, if I was, living in NY, I'd go nuts.

The power going out suddenly, hell yea that's going to set off an alarm in my brain.

Did we not know the economy was an issue before a press conference? Does that mean no press conferences should be held on the economy?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
I believe there are some other pretty important issues going on and he is talking about Cyber Security?

I have Norton Utilities. Thank you
Right, he's oblivious...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
You can't be serious.

No biggie, right?

You and me both, especially given how big the blacked-out area was.

I don't know what was done in the past, but I am extremely glad that something is being done now. So ironic to me, that those who would suggest that President Obama has compromised our national security, complain when he does something to bolster it.

BTW:
""Other than a nuclear device or some other type of destructive weapon, the threat to our infrastructure, the threat to our intelligence, the threat to our computer network is the most critical threat we face," he added."

FBI warns of cyber attack threat

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies