Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:59 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, what they want is for employers to go out of business which thank make individuals dependent on the government for survival.
That sounds about right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
In other words, don't make it like the current system that we have now. I believe the European and Canadian model would solve these problems. It does work there.

Ahhhh the Canadian's have a wait time lasting months in some cases for treatment from the initial Dr. visit which you can also wait months for.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Insurance companies/hospitals are the ones who need to be gone after.
Hospital mark up is atrocious!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:09 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

Ahhhh the Canadian's have a wait time lasting months in some cases for treatment from the initial Dr. visit which you can also wait months for.
You can get into see a doctor here. If you can pay for it. I think the wait times are exaggerated in Canada. More propaganda by the Insurance companies and the AMA. You wait 8 hours in an emergency room here and then get charged an arm or a leg...literally.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
Single Payer is the way to go... Though I read earlier this morning whereas Sen. Kennedy has a draft that he has in circulation where the employer will be forced to provide coverage if not will be fined/penalized. For the poor, health care will be funded/provided with the use of subsidies if I read that article right?
Employers providing health care will be a thing of the past with a UHC. No employer will or should be forced to provide health care as it will not be needed as a part of the employees package as the employee will already have health cover under the UHC. Trillions will be saved by the small and large businesses and employees will get better wage packets as their salary will NOT be adjusted to compensate for health care additions.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The fact that we are a nation of hypochondriac's should be enough to persuade you that UHC IS NOT a good idea.
No. Wouldn't you need treatment for being a hypochondriac?

Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM

122 posts, read 210,067 times
Quote:
You wait 8 hours in an emergency room here and then get charged an arm or a leg...literally
Literally... really? If you wait 8 hours in the ER than you are not high on the triage list and probably would be better served in urgent care or calling your on call primary care physician. I waited an hour and a half in a San Diego Hospital.
Quote:

Trillions will be saved by the small and large businesses and employees will get better wage packets as their salary will NOT be adjusted to compensate for health care additions

Trillions won't be saved because of the increased taxes that accompany the UHI. The money will just pour into a different pot.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
This nation has to simplify the approach, regardless of direction it goes in. I would MUCH prefer a system based on the same capitalist principles dentists use and highly reduced regulation. Unfortunately, lobbies will prevent this from happening and we continue to straddle the fence between socialized and capitalist, taking the worst of both worlds in some highly inefficient Frankenstein system.
Agreed. A lot of companies have stopped providing dental insurance and what this has done is make the dentist much more competitive. The dental insurance companies have not stepped up to the plate though. Private dental insurance is no more affordable than it used to be. I was looking for private dental insurance the other day. One of the providers had premiums of $100 a month, but with a max payout of $1000 payout a year. That is insurance for the grossly stupid. You pay in $1200 a year, but the most they will ever pay is $1000 a year. What a scam.

I would consider a purely capitalistic system if it were possible. I just don't think that it is possible because the lobbist don't want a purely capitalist system. They like it just the way it is.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You can get into see a doctor here. If you can pay for it. I think the wait times are exaggerated in Canada. More propaganda by the Insurance companies and the AMA. You wait 8 hours in an emergency room here and then get charged an arm or a leg...literally.
Actually I think the whole story is Not told about Canadian health care.
Oh and I have family that lives in Canada.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

And you know this for a fact?
I hear this same rubbish about waiting times in the UK. Anything like cancer is treated as top priority and fast tracked into the system. Cold cases such as gall stones or non urgent operations can take a few months to be resolved...but much better than NEVER for millions of Americans with no health Insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies