Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 PM

32 posts, read 68,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
We are fighting hard for it not to be so.
and that is about as rude as anyone could possibly get. why on this earth is it any of your bussiness what people do behind closed doors. it doesnt harm you at all if two men or two women love each other. you are no one to judge some one based on their sexual preference. why would you even waste your time fighting against something that doesnt involve you at all whatsoever. well guess what it will happen because they are human just like you and i and they reserve to be treated as so. WHO CARES WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS if not everyone lives by the word of the. live and let live.

then theres the big grin at the end. what the heck is that all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I agree, that is a crock of crap. Even if it wasnt a christian stance. That is just sick, wrong and a poor example for our youth. Well those of us straight to have children that is...
there is alot more harmful things to the young society. i dont see the sick and wrong in love. its not like your kid is going to be in their bedroom when they are doing w/e they want to do. everyone has the right to be happy and by fighting against gay marriage you really are crushing people's happiness wheter you believe this to be a lod of crap or not. all they want is to be happy not pervert your children and turn the who population gay

Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Because one wants marriage to stay between a man and a women they are the "epitome of hatred and bigotry." This is quite a leap, and I might add judgemental.

I really have trouble understanding why some can't understand that it has nothing to do with hate or fear or bigotry but everything to do with maintaining our judeo/christian ethics. I know I am wasting my breath but it is really tiresome that every time someone posts regarding conservative values they are accused of hate, ignorance and bigotry.

I really think it is the other way around, as well as arrogance and close-mindedness. We are continually challenged to see your point of view, but you think you are right and refuse to open your mind.
not every person on this planet if a christian, think about the other people who couldnt care less what is stated in the bible. nnot everyone sees the world from your closeminded little box that everything that isnt just as it is stated in the bible it is wrong.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:36 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis View Post
not every person on this planet if a christian, think about the other people who couldnt care less what is stated in the bible. nnot everyone sees the world from your closeminded little box that everything that isnt just as it is stated in the bible it is wrong.

I understand that not everyone is a Christian, I believe you stated you were wiccan.
However let me remind you that our country was founded on Judeo/Chritian principles. Do you recall that before one testifies under oath they place their hand on the Bible, and when one is sworn into the highest office in the land they also place their hand on the Bible also?

I do believe the Bible holds an important place in our countrys history and future and if you don't accept this fact you will probably remain as discontent as you seem now.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
I understand that not everyone is a Christian, I believe you stated you were wiccan. However let me remind you that our country was founded on Judeo/Chritian principles.
Nearly all of which were borrowed by Judeo-Christians from other societies and whose even earlier roots were almost all originally planted in the entirely secular matter of human experience.

Quote:
Do you recall that before one testifies under oath they place their hand on the Bible, and when one is sworn into the highest office in the land they also place their hand on the Bible also?
This is an entirely voluntary matter in each case. The fact that those who have faith in the Bible choose to include the Bible is of no more consequence than the fact that those who do not don't.

Quote:
I do believe the Bible holds an important place in our countrys history and future and if you don't accept this fact you will probably remain as discontent as you seem now.
The same could be said for baseball.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The same could be said for baseball.
really? i can't wait to hear how if one doesn't accept baseball as important to our society that they will remain discontent

Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
I understand that not everyone is a Christian, I believe you stated you were wiccan.
However let me remind you that our country was founded on Judeo/Chritian principles. Do you recall that before one testifies under oath they place their hand on the Bible, and when one is sworn into the highest office in the land they also place their hand on the Bible also?

http://nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

http://webnv.net/article/366/religion_in_america_is_declining (broken link)

Old 04-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
http://nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

http://webnv.net/article/366/religion_in_america_is_declining (broken link)
and that tiny little truth earned you rep miss nea1 same with you saganista.

our country was founded on religious freedom not on christianity. i agree with some of the christian principles and ethics but not all. people should have the right to be happy no matter their sexual preference, the bible shoud not affect the lives of people who dont take its word as truth.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,673,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis View Post
and that tiny little truth earned you rep miss nea1 same with you saganista.

our country was founded on religious freedom not on christianity. i agree with some of the christian principles and ethics but not all. people should have the right to be happy no matter their sexual preference, the bible shoud not affect the lives of people who dont take its word as truth.
Why thank you!!
No one should impose their beliefs on another. Gay marriage has nothing to do with me, it will just allow them to have the same benefits of marriage, and allow them to commit to their love. It wont affect my marriage in the least. And if one of my kids were gay ( I believe gay people were born that way) then I would want them to have all the rights I do.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:24 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
What were the founder's principles? The First Amendment reads "Congress shall make no law respecing an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free expression thereof...." To find what is beneath that simple statement, take a peek at the The Virginiia Statute for Religious Freedom written by Jefferson "...that to compel a man to furnish contributions of money [taxes]for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves, is sinfull and tyrannical..." and with this statute (of which I quoted one of the more gentle remarks towards the intrusion of religion into government) the Anglican Church ceased to the the State Church of VA; thereafter the Commonwealth of Va. no longer supported any church with tax dollars.

Actually, to go further read Jefferson's private journals. In his later years some of what he wrote is so hostile to religion it is insulting to those of faith, I won't even quote it; many considered him a non-believer. Madison called the reformation "...the greatest of abuses..." Madison endorsed the intervention of the government into religious affairs to stop entrenched church power - that turns the entire Church/State issue on its head.

(BTW, one can take an oath without a Bible if one wishes, or even avoid the oath all together since it involves one swearing.)

In the end, rights expand. It may take a generation or more for a paradigm shift to occur, but it will. Such a shift happened during the revolution, then again with the expansion of voting rights and the end of slavery and on and on it goes. Equal rights for gays in employment in every state will occur, as it will in all other matters. In a generation or two folks will wonder what all the fuss was about, just as we wonder why segregation even existed - and I am old enough to remember being taught in school that segregation was the best way to live and that blacks were better off as slaves - I still remember it, Mrs. Hudson, 7th grade. Such notions seem absurd now as will all of this homophobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies