Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
It seems that people have no problem taxing drinkers, smokers, etc....

What about the people that really mess up the environment. Pet owners.

Everyone is so concerned about second hand smoke...What about the smelly, dirty animals that people drag around everywhere with them...Crapping all over the place.

Add to this the constant danger they put the rest of us in...over 1 million bites per year from dogs and cats...Often on children.

Just tonight, walking to my house, again I was confronted with some stupid woman walking a mutt that was too big for her to handle...And I had to get out of the way, because the dog was going at everyone it was passing by.

The woman was barely able to hold it back.

This is getting ridiculous.

I understand that people are even allowed to bring these animals on planes (if they are in cages???)...What?...The rest of us would have to sit there smelling the mutt's crap for 3 hours?...Talk about a good reason to go beserk on a plane!!!

People that own snakes...Not just that it's an ego/power trip...But, these snakes are becoming an environmental problem. They should be taxed thousands of dollars.

I would say that any animal owner should be taxed at least several hundred dollars per year....It's disgusting, and cruel....Animals belong in nature. They should not be over-breeded for peoples amusement (which dies out very quickly, too often, and we are stuck picking up the bill for the abandoned ones).

Tax pets...Big time...That will raise some money...And make a healthier environment.

By the way...Nothing is skeevier than sitting in someone's house, smelling the animals (which many of us find just as bad as smoker's houses), watching the dog or cat cleaning it's butt on the rug (after taking a crap) or after licking it's butt, then jumping up on the couch with you...Don't you pet owners realize how disgusting this is?

When the rest of us are sitting there spitting hairs out of our mouth, turning our noses away from the stinking things...Do you really think that we're enjoying "Poochie"?
Someone's mutt must have took a dump in your yard. Did you know that manure is good for the earth? Farts are bad, crap is good. Should we instead tax methane farts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
We do tax them thru many channels like vetenarians;stores and the products for pet owners. May be misbehaving children we should increase taxes on bu not giving the parents such tax breaks. Makes as much sense as this.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Pets ARE taxed, like any other thing that you buy. Not only that, they have to be licensed (another form of tax). Are you proposing raising those taxes? Most of your other issues are addressed by other laws, which just may not be enforced in your area. Call your Police dept. or animal control office. We had problems with some neighborhood pet owners, and after we called the dog catcher on them enough times (resulting in higher and higher fines), they now use leashes and they built a higher fence for their yard.

I guess your argument is that higher taxes would result in fewer pets. However, I would think an unintended consequence of your tax hikes would be that there would be fewer pet owners, but a similar number of animals than there was before your proposed tax hike. Higher taxes would actually result in MORE pet abandonment and therefore more feral animals, fewer spayed and neutered animals, and increased frustration for you.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Did you know that manure is good for the earth? Farts are bad, crap is good. Should we instead tax methane farts?
Actually, dog poop is very bad for the earth.

USATODAY.com - Dog waste poses threat to water
Dog Poop Scoopers - LoveToKnow Dogs

Old 06-16-2009, 10:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Might make more than that amount , not by taxing for children, but just by stopping the tax credits for them.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Ok, you got me. In PRINCIPLE, crap is good for the earth. Farmers use it all the time. As far as the water supply goes, is there a piece of earth where there isn't some form of crap that threatens the water supply?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Ok, you got me. In PRINCIPLE, crap is good for the earth. Farmers use it all the time. As far as the water supply goes, is there a piece of earth where there isn't some form of crap that threatens the water supply?
Farmers use manure from herbivorous animals. Carnivores produce bad poop.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
To solve a problem, you start somewhere, at some time...

Don't people that are allergic to animals have rights?...I imagine there are more than are allergic to peanuts.

None of you are yet denying the facts that I state...Because they are simply true...

It's a problem.

Care to challenge me on the number of bites per year...It's common knowledge...type in dog bites as a search.
Why dont animal haters like you just type in murder in America by guns or knives. Why not type in fist fights or even hatred in America. Maybe even profiling and discrimination. See if any animals show up in your searching. Yea.....uhha, didn't think so.

Now try typing in bad child parenting and see your screen light up. And to be fair why dont you also type in "There are no bad dogs, just bad parents".

Why all the hatred towards a living creature who loves your mean azz despite how mean you are? Humans will not like you for what you just said but dogs will. Unconditional love. Have you ever heard of it? Try typing that in your animal hair smell free keyboard.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
None of you are yet denying the facts that I state...Because they are simply true...

It's a problem.
I think it is just a problem for you. I've yet to see any facts pertaining to animals being such a strain on the environment. Just because you say it dosent make it true. Yes, animals bite. Owners are responsible for any damage caused by their animals. Humans do worse than bite. And before you say it, YES I AM A PET OWNER, -5 dogs, 2 cats, 29 chickens, 21 rabbits, 3 goats, 3 horses and one donkey.

Quote:
It seems that people have no problem taxing drinkers, smokers, etc....
All products purchased for pets are taxed same as alcohol and cigs.

What about the people that really mess up the environment. Pet owners.

Pets are less of a strain on the environment than humans. In addition to biological waste products, humans polllute with toliet paper, tampons, diapers, those things that you put on the toliet seat, not to mention the zillion other waste products humans create.

Everyone is so concerned about second hand smoke...What about the smelly, dirty animals that people drag around everywhere with them...Crapping all over the place.

What about the smelly dirty people that crap on themselves?

Add to this the constant danger they put the rest of us in...over 1 million bites per year from dogs and cats...Often on children.

I fear more being robbed, murdered or raped than bitten by a dog.

Just tonight, walking to my house, again I was confronted with some stupid woman walking a mutt that was too big for her to handle...And I had to get out of the way, because the dog was going at everyone it was passing by.
The woman was barely able to hold it back.

The other night I was at a party and someones kid walked by and just flipped me right in the face. Its parent didnt do anything about it.
Before that, I was at the grocery story and this woman had about 4 kids that were running everywhere and she wasnt able to hold them back.

This is getting ridiculous.

I understand that people are even allowed to bring these animals on planes (if they are in cages???)...What?...The rest of us would have to sit there smelling the mutt's crap for 3 hours?...Talk about a good reason to go beserk on a plane!!!

It is very difficult and expensive to carry a pet on a plane. I imaging you could request a different seat. Really how many people have delt with such a problem.

People that own snakes...Not just that it's an ego/power trip...But, these snakes are becoming an environmental problem. They should be taxed thousands of dollars.

Ok, I dont like snakes, but and ego/powere trip? Maybe some people just like snakes. Just how do you think snakes are an environmental problem. They dont poop much, the keep the rodent population down.

I would say that any animal owner should be taxed at least several hundred dollars per year....It's disgusting, and cruel....Animals belong in nature. They should not be over-breeded for peoples amusement (which dies out very quickly, too often, and we are stuck picking up the bill for the abandoned ones).

Animals were in nature before humans began destroying it. By the way humans are animals too.

Tax pets...Big time...That will raise some money...And make a healthier environment.

Please explain how animals destroy the environment.

By the way...Nothing is skeevier than sitting in someone's house, smelling the animals (which many of us find just as bad as smoker's houses), watching the dog or cat cleaning it's butt on the rug (after taking a crap) or after licking it's butt, then jumping up on the couch with you...Don't you pet owners realize how disgusting this is?

Stay home.

When the rest of us are sitting there spitting hairs out of our mouth, turning our noses away from the stinking things...Do you really think that we're enjoying "Poochie"?

Stay home.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Where do you draw the line at 'pet'?? I made a living for a while training horses, should horse trainers or owners be taxed? My best friend is an exotic animal trainer, should her company be taxed for their animals?

My two shelter adoptees were abused and neglected pretty badly, why should I be punished for taking these animals into my home? They don't leave my backyard unless they're on a leash and headcollar and I have enough doggie poo bags to pick up every piece of poo in a 5 mile radius. (and btw, the bags I get are completely 100% biodegradable.)

Some owners are good, some are bad. It's unfortunate but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies