Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM

519 posts, read 688,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So how many gays are out tying Christians to barbed-wire fences and beating them to death for who they are?

Incidentally, most gays in the USA are also Christian.
You take one (horrible) incident and turn it into a shining-star example of the persecution of gays? Does "isolated event" not mean anything to you? Point us to more examples of us straight folks "beating them to death for who they are." I'm pretty sure you'll be hard-pressed to come up with this. 29 "bias-motivated" killings are bad, no doubt about it, but gay's aren't persecuted like they think they are. I'm not sure I rely on the source information either. They claim "bias-motivated attacks". I claim "bias-motivated reporting" by this group.

Emotional and paranoid would more aptly describe the LGBT community.

Last edited by Johnny B. Fury; 06-18-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Well, from how I see it, the rise in attacks on gays has been hand in glove with the rise in gays and lesbians being more open about their lifestyle in public. Right or wrong that seems to be the case. The recent riots over prop 8 in CA have enraged and emboldened anti gay types and has been used as an excuse to mount, what they see, as counterattacks. This is just my take on it. The more high profile the gay community becomes, the more targets are presented. Thus a rise in attacks does not seem unusual. Lets face it, 'tolerance' is not the highest thing on a lot of folks agendas and the 'coming out' of so many gays and lesbians presents them a target rich environment.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Trying to find meaning with such small numbers is difficult and any attempt to proclaim a motive or direct influenced factor is nothing short of statistical deceit.

Going from 11-18 incidents in a location as mentioned in one area of the report while seemingly a large increase compared to its previous value is difficult to establish a trend. The report overall mentions that this is the highest since 1999, so this isn't a new record which would be more indicative of start of a trend. Such small occurrences (when considering population levels of even homosexuals) puts this increase in a very subjective establishment of statistical significance. there are too many variables to establish a connection directly with a specific motive in society. I am not saying there is not one, it is that dealing with such small values does not provide proper evidence to associate with such. Too many variables.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You may take note that as more muslims pour into the country gays may get some backlash by these people. In many muslim countries, being gay is a death sentance.
This is NOT an Islamic country and that kind of violent, hateful behavior is not tolerated in America.

If Muslims have a problem with that, they can drag their asses back to a plane and go back to where they come from.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I think what we are witnessing is similar to the rise in hate-crimes against blacks as the civil rights movement ramped up.

There are also horrific accounts of suffragist women being brutally beaten and raped for standing up for their rights to equality.

This is part of the slow and painful evolution of a society toward a "more perfect union". It is a painful growth process - perhaps not as bad as blacks or women experienced because it is less evident and more psychological - but the same basic principles are at work.

This bigotry, too, shall be overcome to a large enough degree that they are afforded their equal rights under law. Obviously, there will always be a contingent of society that sees homosexuality as "wrong" (we are throwing out the argument that it is unnatural because science has proven that argument to be wrong), but such opposition is fading. Younger generations are far more accepting, based on polling data.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 AM

297 posts, read 349,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
You take one (horrible) incident and turn it into a shining-star example of the persecution of gays? Does "isolated event" not mean anything to you? Point us to more examples of us straight folks "beating them to death for who they are." I'm pretty sure you'll be hard-pressed to come up with this. 29 "bias-motivated" killings are bad, no doubt about it, but gay's aren't persecuted like they think they are. I'm not sure I rely on the source information either. They claim "bias-motivated attacks". I claim "bias-motivated reporting" by this group.

Emotional and paranoid would more aptly describe the LGBT community.
Isolated events? HARDLY! Fortunately, such brutal and heinous acts like those perpetrated on Matthew Shepard and Lawrence King are more rare than other hate crime incidents.

I'm pretty sure that if YOU tried, YOU would be "hard pressed" to find many LGBT Americans who have not been victimized in some way, at some time in their lives.

Unless you are an LGBT person, you have no right or ability to determine the definition of "persecution".

Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
all crimes are hate crimes.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
This is NOT an Islamic country and that kind of violent, hateful behavior is not tolerated in America.

If Muslims have a problem with that, they can drag their asses back to a plane and go back to where they come from.
According to hussein obama America is a muslim country and under his watch I am sure more muslims will be pooring in. I do not think they are going to tolerate their chidren being taught that homosexuals are normal and healthy in the schools. There is sure to be a backlash.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM

297 posts, read 349,111 times
Quote:
According to hussein obama America is a muslim country and under his watch I am sure more muslims will be pooring in. I do not think they are going to tolerate their chidren being taught that homosexuals are normal and healthy in the schools. There is sure to be a backlash.
Way to try to tie your hatred of President Obama, Muslims and gays into one succinct post! Hower, the very basis of your so-called argument is ridiculous. Lay off the Krazy Kool Aid!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
This is completely unrelated to the topic of the thread and an accusation that takes Obama's statement completely out of context. Your poor spelling / capitalization does not help defy stereotypes about the education levels of individuals that make statements of this nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies