Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Thanks, Senator McCain. Thanks, Congressman Boehner. Thanks all you other bigmouth blowhards. Way to risk people's lives.

And don't forget Reagan for supporting Solidarity back in the Eighties. He could have gotten those freedom fighters killed. I sure wish you could have been there to explain to him that supporting the people who want free elections is a dangerous thing to do.

Thanks Jill. You're a fine American! When the popular uprising in Iran is crushed because no outside help was forthcoming (see Teineman Square Uprising) you can take a little vacation time there to watch the public executions of the leaders who simply wanted what their relatives in the US enjoy.

Lech Walesa on Reagan, Valley Patriot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 04:31 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
If our adversaries believe that we will diminish our own self-respect by keeping silent or acquiescing in the face of successive crimes against humanity, they're wrong. What we see throughout the world is an uprising of intellect and will. As Lech Walesa said: ``Our souls contain exactly the contrary of what they wanted. They wanted us not to believe in God, and our churches are full. They wanted us to be materialistic and incapable of sacrifices; we are antimaterialistic, capable of sacrifice. They wanted us to be afraid of the tanks, of the guns, and instead we don't fear them at all.'' Lech Walesa.
Well, let us not take the counsel of our fears. Let us instead offer the world a politics of hope, a forward strategy for freedom. The words of William Faulkner, at a Nobel prize ceremony more than three decades ago, are an eloquent answer to those who predict nuclear doomsday or the eventual triumph of the superstate. ``Man will not merely endure,'' Faulkner said, ``he will prevail . . . because he will return to the old verities and truths of the heart. He is immortal because, alone among creatures, he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.'
Those old verities, those truths of the heart -- human freedom under God -- are on the march everywhere in the world. All across the world today -- in the shipyards of Gdansk, the hills of Nicaragua, the rice paddies of Kampuchea, the mountains of Afghanistan -- the cry again is liberty. And the cause is the same as that spoken in this chamber more than two decades ago by a young American President, who said, ``A future of peace and freedom.''
Address Before a Joint Session of the Irish National Parliament- President Reagan

Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Khamenei tells Mousavi to toe the line over election or be cast out - Times Online

Quote:
The moderate Iranian leader who says that he was robbed of victory in last week’s presidential election faces a fateful choice today: support the regime or be cast out.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s Supreme Leader, has told Mir Hossein Mousavi to stand beside him as he uses Friday prayers at Tehran University to call for national unity. An army of Basiji — Islamic volunteer militiamen — is also expected to be bussed in to support the Supreme Leader.
Iran's Tiananmen tomorrow?

Looks like they've had enough protests.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:48 PM

454 posts, read 796,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Does Iran need an intervention? I mean, I knew they behaved oddly, but I didn't think they had a drug problem.

And where would you find a clinic bi enough to take Iran? it is a huge country!

Merge with Iran and become "Ira". Kinda like two drunks holding each other steady.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:02 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Khamenei tells Mousavi to toe the line over election or be cast out - Times Online

Iran's Tiananmen tomorrow?

Looks like they've had enough protests.

If it becomes a blood-bath, I wonder who the left, to include BO and HRC, will blame?

Old 06-18-2009, 05:05 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If it becomes a blood-bath, I wonder who the left, to include BO and HRC, will blame?
Since people seem to be salivating at a blood bath, I would guess they would blame the people running the country since they're the ones that killed them.

Edit: Or are you one of those Europeans that thinks everything is America's fault?????

Old 06-18-2009, 05:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Address Before a Joint Session of the Irish National Parliament- President Reagan
Oh, puleeze!

Shall we run off the tin-pot dictators that Reagan was not only silent about but openly supported? Where was Reagan's vocal denunciation over the El Mozote massacre? Where was Ronald Reagan when South African's were attempting to gain the most basic human rights?

Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, puleeze!

Shall we run off the tin-pot dictators that Reagan was not only silent about but openly supported? Where was Reagan's vocal denunciation over the El Mozote massacre? Where was Ronald Reagan when South African's were attempting to gain the most basic human rights?
I was going to state Reagan as a freedom fighter is a myth, but yeah. It's like Iran Contra never happened.

It would be good if the American Gov't was just honest about their foreign policy decisions instead of selling them under the guise of "freedom".

Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
It would be good if the American Gov't was just honest about their foreign policy decisions instead of selling them under the guise of "freedom".
Well I think that for the first time in a long time, Obama is doing just that, national interest trump bs rhetoric.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well I think that for the first time in a long time, Obama is doing just that, national interest trump bs rhetoric.
Also, does anyone think that just because Obama and Biden aren't saying much that the CIA isn't doing anything? (e.g. Bosnia)

I suspect the US government is doing something quietly to help without anything being in the public eye judging past patterns, although I have no solid proof or evidence of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies