Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Why does the Right not care one whit about what other countries want for themselves, and think we should charge in to save them from themselves?

How much would you have cared if the Iranians had intervened in our last two disputed elections? What if France started weighing in on how we conduct our country's elections? Would you stand for that? I think not.
The point you seem to miss is that it's the right that does care about what other countires want for themselves. You seem to buy that the population of Iran wants what's dictated to them. Why do think they're protesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,434 times
What would have happened if the 'bomb bomb Iran' contingent had its way?

"Much of the same faction now claiming such concern for the welfare of The Iranian People are the same people who have long been advocating a military attack on Iran and the dropping of large numbers of bombs on their country – actions which would result in the slaughter of many of those very same Iranian People. During the presidential campaign, John McCain
infamously sang about Bomb, Bomb, Bomb-ing Iran. The Wall St. Journal published a war screed from Commentary's Norman Podhoretz entitled "The Case for Bombing Iran," and following that, Podhoretz said in an interview that he "hopes and prays" that the U.S. "bombs the Iranians." John Bolton and Joe Lieberman advocated the same bombing campaign, while Bill Kristol – with typical prescience – hopefully suggested that Bush might bomb Iran if Obama were elected. Rudy Giuliani actually said he would be open to a first-strike nuclear attack on Iran in order to stop their nuclear program."

The "Bomb Iran" contingent's newfound concern for The Iranian People - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Glenn Greenwald points out that the scenes unfolding in Iran, our Enemy Du Jour, will hopefully make those dehumanization efforts -- the linchpin of our militarism and state of perpetual war -- more difficult in the future.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Pretty sure the Iranians are holding them accountable.

Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one, etc.

In this case American opinion would be damaging to the protesters cause which is why it's good that the country has kept its mouth shut.

And yeah, it's arrogant to assume a country's opinion matters and that they need our "support".

Hey Americans, newsflash: Not everything is about you! Sorry!

Iran has a history of revolting without the help of the almighty USA and even in opposition to it. See 1979.
You're naive to think it doesn't matter. Part of their strength is that we've been working with them for years.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

In Iran, we don't have the power to do anything, so our opinions on what the situation should be are pretty irrelevant at best and counter productive at worst.
And it's the counterproductive part this thread was meant to address. All I can say is thank G-d John McCain isn't our President, or we'd be in for a world of hurt after he antagonized Iran, threatening to bomb, bomb, bomb them.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Okay you got me and the rest of the world. We don't want to have to worry about some nut job who believes he is the means to end times and is actively moving towards nuclear weapons. We don't like the guy calling for wiping a state off the map. We don't like the holocaust denying as it's an insult to millions upon million upon millions of people. I guess I'll take it as you're in the opposition...
Nope, I'm not in opposition to that. Just because I think a nation should have sovereignty doesnt mean I'm pro-Ahmadinajad, only a child would think as much.

I'm just asking for both you and sanrene to drop the intellectually dishonest argument. It is good to see that you have admitted it and I'll rep you on that.

But as I stated:

Not everything is about America. Not everything is about you. It displays arrogance and narcissism.

This is about Iran, their people, and the control of their state with however the people see fit. Right now the people are rioting and protesting because they are angry with their state and it could lead to more. US intervention would do absolutely nothing positive. It never has and it never will, especially in the middle east.

That, in a word, would be what the point of democracy: the ability to decide ones fate. They're doing that right now, and shockingly, some people seem to not want that to happen because it is not in their interests.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

The point you seem to miss is that it's the right that does care about what other countires want for themselves. You seem to buy that the population of Iran wants what's dictated to them. Why do think they're protesting?
Have you actually read any of my posts in this thread? Are you seriously contending that I, or anyone on the Left, doesn't care about what other countries want for themselves?

And this line, "You seem to buy that the population of Iran wants what's dictated to them" is comedy gold!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You're naive to think it doesn't matter. Part of their strength is that we've been working with them for years.
You are naive in assuming that everyone needs the US's help and that the US doesn't do more harm than good a majority of the time.

You are also naive to believe that the US would actually do something outside of their interests for some grand humanitarian cause.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Nope, I'm not in opposition to that. Just because I think a nation should have sovereignty doesnt mean I'm pro-Ahmadinajad, only a child would think as much.

I'm just asking for both you and sanrene to drop the intellectually dishonest argument. It is good to see that you have admitted it and I'll rep you on that.

But as I stated:

Not everything is about America. Not everything is about you. It displays arrogance and narcissism.

This is about Iran, their people, and the control of their state with however the people see fit. Right now the people are rioting and protesting because they are angry with their state and it could lead to more. US intervention would do absolutely nothing positive. It never has and it never will, especially in the middle east.

That, in a word, would be what the point of democracy: the ability to decide ones fate. They're doing that right now, and shockingly, some people seem to not want that to happen because it is not in their interests.
Here's a hint they're both one and the same. I'm always honest and just because you don't agree means I'm all the sudden lying. I have absolutely no desire to spend my free time on a free message board to come here and lie. I would assume most of us other do not either unless, which I just assumed by some of the post, are getting paid to do so...

The ultimate goal is to be able to talk it out with anyone. But we are nowhere near that point with Ahmadinejad and Ill and never will be. They are clearly nuts or using some sick military strategy to allow both countries to get nuclear bombs. Once they have those they'll want on the security council and tons of con cessions. Is that the direction you like? As I said I stand with the people just like I always would have. To separate that and a desire for world peace is kinda ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
It's the devil you know. The Shah was never so reviled until he was put back into power by a foreign power. That's what triggered the revolution that got us the Iran we still deal with to this day.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Here's a hint they're both one and the same. I'm always honest and just because you don't agree means I'm all the sudden lying. I have absolutely no desire to spend my free time on a free message board to come here and lie. I would assume most of us other do not either unless, which I just assumed by some of the post, are getting paid to do so...
No they're not, and you admitted that you are more concerned about imperialism to secure US interests than "freedom", so drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies