Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:14 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times

Advertisements

10 Myths About Canadian Health Care, Busted | Physicians for a National Health Program

1. Canada’s health care system is “socialized medicine.”
False. In socialized medical systems, the doctors work directly for the state. In Canada (and many other countries with universal care), doctors run their own private practices, just like they do in the US. The only difference is that every doctor deals with one insurer, instead of 150. And that insurer is the provincial government, which is accountable to the legislature and the voters if the quality of coverage is allowed to slide.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 07-15-2009 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Default Canadian Health Care; How can this happen....

in such a wonderful system?

CP24- Parents separated from baby after transfer to US hospital because they lack passports - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Quote:
HAMILTON — A critically-ill premature-born baby from Hamilton is all alone in a Buffalo, N.Y., hospital after she was turned away for treatment at local facility and transferred across the border without her parents, who don't have passports.
Quote:
A provincewide search for an open neonatal intensive care unit bed came up empty, leaving no choice but to send the two pound, four ounce baby to Buffalo.
I used to live in Hamilton. The province of Ontario is BIG. Yet their stellar Universal Health Care System could not come up with ONE bed for a premature infant?

This is what happens when government runs things.

Last edited by sanrene; 06-27-2009 at 09:56 PM..

Old 06-27-2009, 09:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
I think we better get used to things like this because there is a very good chance things like that will happen in this country a few years from now.

I foresee many old people existing on pain killers because medical care isn't available for them and younger people at the same time. Obama has said that those who are weakest will just have to survive until some help becomes available.

I feel for this baby but we must remember that it is the Congress of the US that changed that law about things like passports.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
It happens in the US under the current system, too.
I tried to schedule an appointment with my PP and was told that I couldn't get an appointment unless it was an emergency until September.

What makes you think that the current system is so good?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,020 times
Yeah our system is so much better.
Family sues insurer who denied teen transplant - Health care- msnbc.com

Quote:
Nataline had been battling leukemia and received a bone marrow transplant from her brother. She developed a complication that caused her liver to fail.Doctors at UCLA determined she needed a transplant and sent a letter to Cigna Corp.’s Cigna HealthCare on Dec. 11. The Philadelphia-based health insurance company denied payment for the transplant, saying the procedure was experimental and outside the scope of coverage.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,344 times
The US supposedly has the finest health care in the world, yet for every horror story you can find from Canada, there are a hundred here in the US.

Individual cases are not persuasive. But the fear-mongers on the right have nothing else, so that's what they do. And the stupider wingnuts fall for that logic.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Insurance companies suck.... Public social programs suck... can we NOW move to a discussion about making a better system? Obviously neither of them are great.. so abandon both sides and start THINKING about other alternatives... geez...

Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Yeah our system is so much better.
You're going to see more of your example in the future with obamacare. Bureaucrats and bean counters making life and death decisions.

The point of the story; Shortages - one bed could not be scrounged up in the province of Ontario.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It happens in the US under the current system, too.
I tried to schedule an appointment with my PP and was told that I couldn't get an appointment unless it was an emergency until September.

What makes you think that the current system is so good?
If that's an HMO plan you are in then that is how it works.
I went with a dental HMO one year. I called them up with a crying 4 year old who had a toothache and they told me I could come in next week. Got in the car to a local dentist office I drove past everyday and they took me right away over and above any patients in waiting room and I had never even been there. Paid out of my pocket for that and dropped the HMO dental my next enrollment period. It wasn't worth the savings in premium.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You're going to see more of your example in the future with obamacare. Bureaucrats and bean counters making life and death decisions.

The point of the story; Shortages - one bed could not be scrounged up in the province of Ontario.
Lol.. Thats why our health care is the worst in the developed world. Don't you think it's about time to move on? Our system is a failure and as evilnewbie stated its time to find something that works. All you're doing is trying to keep the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies