Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
We have a post from a Vet on this very thread...i suggest you read it.
We have a NUMBER of posts from VETS on this thread and board who are not enthralled with the DVA medical facilities. Perhaps you might review them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,031,722 times
I had a liver transplant 10 years ago and was put on medicare after my insurance expired since I no longer worked. In 2002 my medicare expired since I was working and had health insurance again through my wifes job. Well on Monday this week I recieved a letter from Medicare that my coverage with them would expire at the end of Sept. of this year. So if we do get UHC I sure hope they do a better job than Medicare is doing today.

Also I was on disibility for several years after my transplant due to complications. Many years later they decided that they over paid me. I disputed it with them because there records were incorect, they said I was working again when infact the period they said I was working I was in the hospital. I showed them the records that I was hospitalized when they said I was inelgible for disibility and they said we will have to check into this further, meanwhile you must make monthly payments to reimburse us. So I make $50 a month payments through automatic deduction from my bank account. That was three years ago, guess they are still looking into it. They also send me a paper bill in the mail once a month which I said was not needed as it comes out of my account automatically. They said we will stop sending them. Still getting paper bill once a month two years later.

So maybe UHC works in other countries but I truly have my doubts it would be succesful in the USA, just from my experiances. And I am not against UHC but not to sure our government would get it right.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 AM

179 posts, read 517,039 times
I am not sure if this is considered UHC but I grew up as a dependent of an US Army officer. All of our medical care was done at military hospitals. Most people hear of the great things about military hospitals but generally that is from active duty military. You don't hear all the negative things that the dependents have to go through.

In 1992 I had to have jaw surgery. Since I was not quite 18 but was too big for the childrens ward, they went ahead and put me in the adult ward. The call button on the bed did not work so they had one of those hotel bells. Except that when you hit it down it got stuck so they could never hear me when I needed help. Within an hour of coming back to the room, they expect you to be able to walk down the hall and go to the bathroom by yourself. I am now an adult and even the nurses at the civilian hospitals helped me go to the restroom for as long as I felt I needed help after giving child birth.

Getting a regular appointment takes forever. My mom is post menopausal and was having some bleeding issues. That is unheard of if you no longer have a menstral period unless there is something else going on. Well her appointment for that was booked 4 months out. They day before her scheduled appointment she hemoragged from a very agressive uterine cancer. She had a full hysterctomy and he is now fighting uterine cancer in the lungs and we pray every day that it will go into remission. If they had seen her in a timely matter the cancer would not have had time to metastizie. Most people say cancer takes a long time to grow but there are some that do not. Some grow very quickly in a short amount of time.

Since I was a child they have changed the system up and they now have something called Tri-Care but it does not sound like it improved it very much. You also do not generally have a specific doctor or if you do they end up being transferred out after awhile anyway.

The examples that I speak of may or may not seem important to some but alot has to do with the attitude of people as well. I always felt like a number and that they never really listened. They seemed more concerned with getting you out as quickly as possible. Maybe this is all the same as the cilivian places but I have not felt that at any of the civilian doctors, nurses or hospitals that I have gone to as an adult. I am not for UHC. I do believe that the insurance industry and medicare/medicaid drive up our health care related costs. I am not sure what the best solution would be but I worry that if they implement something like UHC then it would never be removed if it did not work. We have so many programs that the federal government has implemented that does not work but we taxpayers still have to fund it.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,854,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingville View Post
I am not sure if this is considered UHC but I grew up as a dependent of an US Army officer. All of our medical care was done at military hospitals. Most people hear of the great things about military hospitals but generally that is from active duty military. You don't hear all the negative things that the dependents have to go through.

In 1992 I had to have jaw surgery. Since I was not quite 18 but was too big for the childrens ward, they went ahead and put me in the adult ward. The call button on the bed did not work so they had one of those hotel bells. Except that when you hit it down it got stuck so they could never hear me when I needed help. Within an hour of coming back to the room, they expect you to be able to walk down the hall and go to the bathroom by yourself. I am now an adult and even the nurses at the civilian hospitals helped me go to the restroom for as long as I felt I needed help after giving child birth.

Getting a regular appointment takes forever. My mom is post menopausal and was having some bleeding issues. That is unheard of if you no longer have a menstral period unless there is something else going on. Well her appointment for that was booked 4 months out. They day before her scheduled appointment she hemoragged from a very agressive uterine cancer. She had a full hysterctomy and he is now fighting uterine cancer in the lungs and we pray every day that it will go into remission. If they had seen her in a timely matter the cancer would not have had time to metastizie. Most people say cancer takes a long time to grow but there are some that do not. Some grow very quickly in a short amount of time.

Since I was a child they have changed the system up and they now have something called Tri-Care but it does not sound like it improved it very much. You also do not generally have a specific doctor or if you do they end up being transferred out after awhile anyway.

The examples that I speak of may or may not seem important to some but alot has to do with the attitude of people as well. I always felt like a number and that they never really listened. They seemed more concerned with getting you out as quickly as possible. Maybe this is all the same as the cilivian places but I have not felt that at any of the civilian doctors, nurses or hospitals that I have gone to as an adult. I am not for UHC. I do believe that the insurance industry and medicare/medicaid drive up our health care related costs. I am not sure what the best solution would be but I worry that if they implement something like UHC then it would never be removed if it did not work. We have so many programs that the federal government has implemented that does not work but we taxpayers still have to fund it.
ALL of these problems with medicare/ade or Military Schemes or Hospitals would be a thing of the past with a UHC. There is no such thing as Medicare in the UK or Military schemes. There are hardly any Employee based health care, except with foreign, normally American, Companies.
A UHC is NOT run by the Govt. It is run by the local health Authorities, who are medical professionals and NOT Politicians. The Govt. Funds the UHC and puts guidlines into place to protect the patients and the Medical staff.
Let's get this MYTH out of the way....The Govt. DOES NOT run the day to day affairs of a UHC. The Doctors DECIDE what treatment you get, Not like the current Health System in America where the Insurance companies decide what treatment you get.
ANYONE here had any experience of a UHC where the Doctor did NOT decide on your treatment?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
ALL of these problems with medicare/ade or Military Schemes or Hospitals would be a thing of the past with a UHC.
Of course, the above is nothing but unsubstantiated speculation on the part of Geeoro.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM

221 posts, read 219,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Of course, the above is nothing but unsubstantiated speculation on the part of Geeoro.
Besides the obvious fact that you have some kind of dislike fror geeoro, which stands out a mile, exactly what experience of a uhc have you had that makes you so against it Gday? You wrote a post on here earlier saying that your bad experience was that you saw a doctor the same day that you called him and your prescriptions were free and you paid $2.00 for the copay and you didnt get to know your doctor. Not exactly a reason to put down a uhc Gday. Your whole theory on how a uhc couldn't work in the usa is pure "speculation". If you have any facts to show that a uhc couldn't work then do what geeoro does and put some real facts on here or links.
geeoro has used a uhc and paid into a uhc and has the knowledge of how a uhc runs. exactly what do you have, to say that a uhc is no good. You obviously have health cover but millions do not. That is the only reason i see on here as to why people do not want a uhc, the fact that it would devalue your health care if everyone got it. You do not have enough facts to back your argument against a uhc up Gday its people like you that put America back many many years. Lets see some facts from you about a uhc Gday, have you got any or is it just "speculation"?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Besides the obvious fact that you have some kind of dislike fror geeoro
I dislike it when he post "things" as facts - when they are not. He posts as if he knows how a UHC would / will work in the US when to do so is a gross misreprentation - inasmuch as there is no UHC in the US to start with and no legislation to create one has been introduced. Therefore, he cannot post factual information (as it would be in the US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
exactly what experience of a uhc have you had that makes you so against it Gday?
Simple. Our Constitution does not allow the government to be involved with any such scheme.

Now, if you have read my posts on the topic, you would have seen where, on a number of occassions, I have suggested that a Constitutional Amendment be put forth, to the States, for ratification - that if ratified, would allow for our Government to be involved, and I would be happy to follow the then ratified Constitution.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,619,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I dislike it when he post "things" as facts - when they are not. He posts as if he knows how a UHC would / will work in the US when to do so is a gross misreprentation - inasmuch as there is no UHC in the US to start with and no legislation to create one has been introduced. Therefore, he cannot post factual information (as it would be in the US)

Simple. Our Constitution does not allow the government to be involved with any such scheme.

Now, if you have read my posts on the topic, you would have seen where, on a number of occassions, I have suggested that a Constitutional Amendment be put forth, to the States, for ratification - that if ratified, would allow for our Government to be involved, and I would be happy to follow the then ratified Constitution.
I've never heard anyone on tv, radio or the main stream media mention a need for a constitutional ammendment for a UHC in the US...

Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
I've never heard anyone on tv, radio or the main stream media mention a need for a constitutional ammendment for a UHC in the US...
First off, it is not surprising that the mainstream media has downplayed it.

But, then again, the mainstream media is not the end all, be all of information now, is it.

Part of the "issue" remains, what type, if any, plan is to be proffered. And that is not yet known.

If simple changes are proposed: Tort reforms, allowing insurance to be sold across state lines etc., then no changes to the Constitution would be required.

On the other hand - if a Government take over of hospitals, clinics etc., with the government being the operator / manager of the health care / health insurance program (such as in England or Canada), then, a Constitutional Amendment would have to be proffered.

To use the an expression - the "devil is in the details".

Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,222,875 times
Quote:
Is there ANY Americans on here with Experience of using a UHC and what did your experience show you that would mean it couldn't work in America. NOT third party stories but your own Experiences. Would be Interesting to hear some actual facts for once against a UHC and not just scare mongering or assumptions.
I was in Italy for a 3-month stay (Lucca). While there, a mole on my thigh started to look weird - and I have a history with serious skin cancer. I went to the hospital there to have it looked at. They didn't speak English, and my Italian was worse, but they managed to imply that I needed minor surgery. I went back for in-patient surgery. They charged me something like 5000 Lira - the price of the stitches as I recall. Later, after the biopsy, they called me and let me know the results were negative.

And I was a tourist in their country, for christ sake.

UHC works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies