Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 08:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Great, then it's settled. The legal citizens of the US who are unable to get insurance from their employer will receive Medicare and the employers who don't provide insurance will pay part of their employees premiums the same way they would if they offered private insurance. The government on their part will be prohibited from anti-trust activities like operating at a loss to drive out competition. They'll have to pay their way just like private insurance. Keeping private insurance in the game will keep everyone honest. Anything about that you disagree with?
Yes, let’s get rid of insurance companies altogether. They have a conflict of interest. Paying for healthcare benefits decreases their profits. The government needs to conserve spending as much as possible, remember?

Make one risk pool which includes all citizens and run it similar to Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Blood tests show when organs are failing and death is imminent. Extraordinary yet useless efforts to save a life during the last days are where medical cost is enormous. The last days of life, not months, is what this post is about.

Last edited by fauve; 06-27-2009 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Edited out quoted deleted post

Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Quit being so dramatic. If Obama's grandma had had the surgery as you recommend, she would not have been able to go to the grocery store at all coz she would have been dead at the operating table (or shortly thereafter) from complications, given how sick she already was from her underlying cancer.

You have simply failed to demonstrate how Obama's grandma's care was inappropriate.

Not really the point I'm making anyways. The issue is allowing the government to have the power to decide who is or is not terminal is not unlike giving tem the power to decide who is expendable, i.e., "useless eaters".

Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Let doctors decide if the procedure is necessary.

Not the insurance companies.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Not really the point I'm making anyways. The issue is allowing the government to have the power to decide who is or is not terminal is not unlike giving tem the power to decide who is expendable, i.e., "useless eaters".
The government doesn't decide who is or is not terminal for Medicare recipients so why would they otherwise. I know they did try with Terri Schiavo but those Republicans who tried this for political gain are gone now. You can relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The hip joint would not be funtioning or come in handy if the patient's medical condition does not allow for healing from the surgery!

I will dumb it down for you. Dying patient + surgery = dying patient in pain from sugery and who doesn't live long enough to realize any benefits from the surgery.
I won't return your insult.

Who decides who is or is not going to live long enough to benefit from the surgury?

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You think the gov. has an account set aside for you which holds the money you paid in?
You think you can get it in a lump sum? Hahahaha.
Do your heirs receive you SS payments after you die? Sorry to tell you this but you are in a ponzi scheme called social security.
No, thanks to the democrats there is no social security trust fund,...and NO, no one thinks that social security can be collected in a lump sum. But, YES the government took my money for DECADES, and YES it is MY money they took, not my father's, mother's, brother's, aunt's or uncle's. The contention that the federal government doesn't owe those who paid into the system because of government ineptitude is not relevant.

When and IF I start social security benefits, it will be based upon CONTRIBUTIONS that were paid to the government by myself, and a few employers years ago. So, yes the money is mine, not the collective's, and it is a sum that IS owed by the government.

If the govenment would agree to pay lumpsum what I have paid over the decades, then I would gladly not participate in the program.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Let doctors decide if the procedure is necessary.

Not the insurance companies.
Or the retarded government!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I won't return your insult.

Who decides who is or is not going to live long enough to benefit from the surgury?
Let me repeat it, this time real slow: The doctor and the patient.

Again: The Doctor and the patient.

Once more for you momonkey: The Doctor and the patient.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
No, thanks to the democrats there is no social security trust fund,...and NO, no one thinks that social security can be collected in a lump sum. But, YES the government took my money for DECADES, and YES it is MY money they took, not my father's, mother's, brother's, aunt's or uncle's. The contention that the federal government doesn't owe those who paid into the system because of government ineptitude is not relevant.

When and IF I start social security benefits, it will be based upon CONTRIBUTIONS that were paid to the government by myself, and a few employers years ago. So, yes the money is mine, not the collective's, and it is a sum that IS owed by the government.

If the govenment would agree to pay lumpsum what I have paid over the decades, then I would gladly not participate in the program.

Maybe, but I believe Social Security was collected under both Democrats and Republicans. The accounting of which is the topic for another thread. I only remember a national surplus of $$ under the last Democratic pres. which became a deficit soon after by a Republican predecessor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies