Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Thanks for the link. I plan to read all of it but that will take a little time. After reading about it, I will get back to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
What's wrong with dying gracefully? Compared to being treated like an animal, being poked and prodded, going through painful procedures even though it is known at some point that the procedures are a complete waste of time and money and do nothing more than prolong the pain and suffering? Do you think that any of us can escape death when it is our time?

I should correct myself: animals DO get treated more humanely than human beings.

Somehow many of us knew that "dying gracefully", "living wills" and all that were going to go from choice to the government saying who could live and who could die in no time.

It's already upon us. Obama comes right out and says there will be an age cut-off for government medical care.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Let doctors decide if the procedure is necessary.

Not the insurance companies.
Insurance companies shouldn't but the politicians should decide? Why should Obama now decide who lives and who must die?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:29 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,918,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I agree completely with Obama on this one. There are indeed a lot of people who are being kept alive (if you want to call it that - I call it "existing", not living) by extraordinary measures which ALWAYS end up as a futile attempt to ward away death. A close very elderly family member had a $12,000 pacemaker inserted (along with many other costly procedures), even though she was barely hanging on and had about zero chance at recovery. She died about two weeks later. She was heading towards 90, had full-on dementia, broken hip, heart problems, diabetic, and a whole cascade of things wrong with her.

STILL, the doctors wanted to proceed with all sorts of other medical intervention; until finally the family allowed her to go into Hospice care and live in peace without medical intervention, other than to be kept comfortable. Let me tell you, the doctors FOUGHT the family on this, making them feel guilty about their decision. I can't tell you how many people we encountered at hospice who had a similiar battle with hospitals and the doctors who kept their loved ones "alive" by extraordinary measures, prolonging the suffering and pain. These family members were ANGRY for having their love ones suffer so immensely before they finally got to Hospice where all heroic measures were stopped and nature could take it's course.
I have to tell you, I find this story incredibly difficult to believe. I've been a healthcare provider for over two decades and have never encountered what you have described. If true, their actions were totally unethical.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Insurance companies shouldn't but the politicians should decide? Why should Obama now decide who lives and who must die?
I repeat,

Where in the OP's link, or anywhere else for that matter, does President Obama state the government will be making medical decisions for anyone?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I have to tell you, I find this story incredibly difficult to believe. I've been a healthcare provider for over two decades and have never encountered what you have described. If true, their actions were totally unethical.
I would suggest listening to an interview with doctor and bioethicist Robert Martensen regarding a very similar situation withthat he experienced during his mother's final days.

End Of Life Care In America, A Doctor's Diagnosis : NPR

Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I repeat,

Where in the OP's link, or anywhere else for that matter, does President Obama state the government will be making medical decisions for anyone?
Nowhere...absolutely nowhere. There are posters jumping in at this point in the thread and making assumptions without making an attempt to read the OP or listen to even the voices of the several members of the health care profession, even a physician, who agree with President Obama. They seem to believe that the process of death is stoppable, in spite of the incontrovertible fact that we will all die sooner or later. The point that useless tests and treatments are unethical seems to escape them. Maybe we're wrong..maybe the RW has perfected the ability to overcome death, and we're actually exchanging posts with zombies.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would suggest listening to an interview with doctor and bioethicist Robert Martensen regarding a very similar situation withthat he experienced during his mother's final days.

End Of Life Care In America, A Doctor's Diagnosis : NPR
As I said,
Quote:
If true, their actions were totally unethical.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,668 times
Quote from Siouxcia:
If true, their actions were totally unethical.

Which brings us full circle to President Obama's point. Sadly, some doctors who've signed with health care conglomerates or who either own or are partners in labs, x-ray facilities, etc. might feel the need to schedule useless tests or procedures.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,290,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Thanks for the link. I plan to read all of it but that will take a little time. After reading about it, I will get back to you.
You're welcome. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies