Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a gay or lesbian president?
Yes 170 73.28%
No 62 26.72%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Who knows. I do think we are born into certain things. I've heard plenty of stories about twins who are separated at birth, then brought back together many years later, and discover that they speak and act in similar ways, and also have very similar interests. In one recent case I heard about, two women actually shared the same favorite book. That's incredible to me.
Who really knows, people are so complicated, and we don't really know how our own DNA and genes actually operate. But when the day arrives when we do, what freedoms will we have, or allow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:04 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,107 times
I would like to see all gays converted to Islam.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I would like to see all gays converted to Islam.
I don't even know what that means.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't even know what that means.
It would take a very discerning mind my dear Karfar to understand. You will never understand following or joining the idealogues of the left that post here or in other such influences. You must sit high and straight upon the barstool of life. I see you are maturing in your posts, an occasional bright spot of understanding. You still have much to learn. There is so little time.
The economic catastrophe that is about to overtake this country will limit your quest to understand anything. In a short time your concerns will be in the area of food and shelter and safety. It is all part of the demise of our country brought about by liberal retardation. Liberalism is a mental disease but,- it is curable. You must begin to rethink your way of looking at and understanding the little things as well as the grand things. Such debates will soon become a luxury so I suggest you get started.

I would suggest you begin by making a list of ten liberal tenants you hold as truth. Examine each of them and ask yourself questions regards each of those ten tenants of liberalism that you embrace. Once you have the list, write an opposition list of how you would debate against yourself and the beliefs you think you have. You will find that when you question those beliefs you will find them wanting when tested against conservative beliefs on the same subject. To find the truth you must seek the truth.

You will find that it is not necessarily what you endorse, but what others have told you,- you should endorse. Perhaps because it makes you feel better about yourself. Feeling good does not always encompass the truth. Because an idea or system of beliefs comes from Hollywood or liberal institutions doesn't mean it is reliable or true or the correct way to think. Very soon, homosexuality will be the least of your worries. Economic catastrophe is coming on a fast train. Did you vote for the liberals?
I am always here to help you.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 PM

587 posts, read 409,937 times
Yes. I would vote for who I felt was the best qualified person to be the President of our country.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I guess I don't have such rigid ideas about how men and women should dress or behave. It's maybe not typical to have the traits you mentioned, but it's also not typical to be a genius or to have the agility and strength of an Olympic gymnast.

Studies have shown that gay men have brain structures that are similar to heterosexual females. It's not a surprise, then, that many gay men have interests that would be considered feminine by some, or that gay women have characteristics that could be called masculine.

It just seems hard to believe that all of the major medical and psychological associations in the modern world would allow millions to live with a disorder for all of these years, and pretend like nothing is wrong due to political pressure from homosexual activists in the 1970s.

Given the histories of heterosexuals like Mark Sanford, John Ensign, John Edwards, and Bill Clinton, is "squeeky clean" really a logical or realistic standard?

You said that there are mental disorders that have a genetic component. Most of the time, if someone believes homosexuality is wrong, they say they believe it's either due to a mental/emotional disorder or a genetic disorder/birth defect. It sounds like you're saying you believe it's both. If that's the case, then wow - you must think that homosexuals are really screwed up, huh?

Are you a physician now? If so, do you have any homosexual patients and do they know how you feel about this topic?

I am a physician now. I do not discriminate against anyone and treat everybody the same (white/black, rich/poor, gay/straight). The only reason that I would want to know if someone is gay is for the simple fact of being aware that there will be a higher incidence of affective disorders and certain infectious diseases.

Again, I don't think I have run across a gay person that has thier head screwed on straight. It is probably a combination of things, but I am sure that it is more difficult in society being gay than straight, so there environmental influences that result in the different behavior. I am not blaming them at all, as I think it is a genetic predisposition to be gay. I do not dislike gays, I just think that saying they are "normal" is entirely inaccurate and is more a reflection of political correctness than it is reality.

Is being a diabetic "normal"? No. But being aware of the problems associated with diabetes is essential in dealing with a diabetic patient. I think that many people really get hung up on the politically correct issues of homosexuality and should just shut up and keep thier sexuality private. I don't think anyone cares whether someone is straight or gay, except where that knowledge may be important in medical treatment, or, as the original question asked- whether a gay person would be suitable for president. Moving from the private to the public forum, I think that being gay would compromise the ability of a president to effectively lead. Look at Barney Frank- I think he is a good example of why it would be a bad idea.

Do my gay patients know that I think homosexuality is not "normal"? Probably. I am a redneck and they do not seem to hold that against me. I guess they definately would consider me not "normal" in that regard, but do not harbor any avarice toward me, much as I do not harbor any ill feelings at all toward them. It is just being different. However, much as a gay person would not be a good president, I would not be a good president because of being a redneck type. I think that would compromise the proper execution of presidential duties as well.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 07-09-2009 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
It would take a very discerning mind my dear Karfar to understand. You will never understand following or joining the idealogues of the left that post here or in other such influences. You must sit high and straight upon the barstool of life. I see you are maturing in your posts, an occasional bright spot of understanding. You still have much to learn. There is so little time.
The economic catastrophe that is about to overtake this country will limit your quest to understand anything. In a short time your concerns will be in the area of food and shelter and safety. It is all part of the demise of our country brought about by liberal retardation. Liberalism is a mental disease but,- it is curable. You must begin to rethink your way of looking at and understanding the little things as well as the grand things. Such debates will soon become a luxury so I suggest you get started.

I would suggest you begin by making a list of ten liberal tenants you hold as truth. Examine each of them and ask yourself questions regards each of those ten tenants of liberalism that you embrace. Once you have the list, write an opposition list of how you would debate against yourself and the beliefs you think you have. You will find that when you question those beliefs you will find them wanting when tested against conservative beliefs on the same subject. To find the truth you must seek the truth.

You will find that it is not necessarily what you endorse, but what others have told you,- you should endorse. Perhaps because it makes you feel better about yourself. Feeling good does not always encompass the truth. Because an idea or system of beliefs comes from Hollywood or liberal institutions doesn't mean it is reliable or true or the correct way to think. Very soon, homosexuality will be the least of your worries. Economic catastrophe is coming on a fast train. Did you vote for the liberals?
I am always here to help you.
Unh huh. Ok, bye bye.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Again, I don't think I have run across a gay person that has thier head screwed on straight. It is probably a combination of things, but I am sure that it is more difficult in society being gay than straight, so there environmental influences that result in the different behavior.
That's an absurd observation, more like an assumption & you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Do my gay patients know that I think homosexuality is not "normal"? Probably. I am a redneck and they do not seem to hold that against me. I guess they definately would consider me not "normal" in that regard, but do not harbor any avarice toward me, much as I do not harbor any ill feelings at all toward them. It is just being different. However, much as a gay person would not be a good president, I would not be a good president because of being a redneck type. I think that would compromise the proper execution of presidential duties as well.
If I were these patients, I would run for the hills. You claim to be a physician yet your biases seem to be getting the better of your judgment. You have much to learn grasshopper.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
That would depend on whether they drone on about sex. The same criteria would also be applied to a female candidate droning on about gender equality, a minority candidate droning on about racism, etc. The President represents all Americans, not some special interest group so if they keep the lid on it (don't make it an issue), no problem. Besides, how do we know there hasn't been a gay President? Maybe he just didn't make it an issue.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Besides, how do we know there hasn't been a gay President? Maybe he just didn't make it an issue.
There has been speculation that James Buchanan was gay. He had a live-in male companion.

But my answer to this poll is no, because I believe that a gay president would be ramming through gay legislation at the expense of more important issues. Plus its almost a guarantee that a gay president would be a liberal, and I'm not voting for liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies