Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
We are not the first country to consider taking a leap into gun control. Other countries, most notably Canada, Australia, and the UK have taken the leap within the last 15 years or so. There is before/after data to be studied that will help us inform our path . I agree: assumptions and intuition have no place in this decision! Look at the data! If you do, we won't need to discuss philosophy or the 2nd amendment.
I agree with those countries like Canada that remove guns. I think it would reduce crime. I think I've seen a few statistics on it but I would be curious to see if anyone has a link to them as I am working off of my memory here. However, I don't think it is the "all in one" answer like everyone is looking for, incidents will still occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
Start with Fraserinstitute.ca , guns.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I agree with those countries like Canada that remove guns. I think it would reduce crime. I think I've seen a few statistics on it but I would be curious to see if anyone has a link to them as I am working off of my memory here. However, I don't think it is the "all in one" answer like everyone is looking for, incidents will still occur.
I haven't read through all this thread, so if I bring this up and it's already been covered, I mean no disrespect. But tackling this issue with gun control is kinda like solving drinking-and-driving by banning alcohol, isn't it?

I mean, maybe I'm not seeing something, but it sounds the same to me. And trust me, there's a whole lot more than 32 families grieving the loss of their young children because of alcohol that wasn't used responsibily.

Thoughts????

Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I haven't read through all this thread, so if I bring this up and it's already been covered, I mean no disrespect. But tackling this issue with gun control is kinda like solving drinking-and-driving by banning alcohol, isn't it?

I mean, maybe I'm not seeing something, but it sounds the same to me. And trust me, there's a whole lot more than 32 families grieving the loss of their young children because of alcohol that wasn't used responsibily.

Thoughts????
People are addicted to drinking, not very many people are addicted to guns. It would be a much easier transition in my opinion, and as people have said it has worked well in other countries.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:48 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
People are addicted to drinking, not very many people are addicted to guns. It would be a much easier transition in my opinion, and as people have said it has worked well in other countries.
Respectfully Shadow, I think that's weak. You and I both know that a lot of the accidents and deaths are not alcohol addicted users. While I give you that the possibility to be addicted is there, I don't think it's the root cause of traffic accidents. And besides, if you banned alcohol, wouldn't you cure the addiciton and the danger to others?

I'm not suggesting that's what we do, I'm just asking isn't it the same rational?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:49 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
The weapon certainly makes it easier. Would this kid at VT have killed so many people if he could only get his hands on a knife?

Comparing something like a knife or a club to a gun is not really applicable. You can't easily kill 30 people in a few minutes with a knife or club.
Are you sure?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Respectfully Shadow, I think that's weak. You and I both know that a lot of the accidents and deaths are not alcohol addicted users. While I give you that the possibility to be addicted is there, I don't think it's the root cause of traffic accidents. And besides, if you banned alcohol, wouldn't you cure the addiciton and the danger to others?

I'm not suggesting that's what we do, I'm just asking isn't it the same rational?
Many countries have banned guns and it worked well.

We banned alcohol and it was a disaster.

That is what I'm basing my posts on.

I would want alcohol banned but it obviously didn't work, gun control has.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Are you sure?
You think one kid with a knife or club could take on thirty unarmed people? Not a chance.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I hope you have a lot of food in your bunker. We're coming!
First you have to get past Me...

Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
You think one kid with a knife or club could take on thirty unarmed people? Not a chance.

Your ignorance is showing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies