Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Just announced..the stimulus wasn't supposed to work in the first 4 months..it will kick in later this year.

Patience young grasshoppers. No more complaining til 1/1/2010.

Obama says stimulus plan to kick in later this year - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090711/bs_nm/us_obama_radio_economy_9 - broken link)

snippet:
"In an advanced text of his weekly radio speech, Obama said the stimulus plan approved by Congress and signed into law in mid-February "was not designed to work in four months -- it was designed to work over two years."

So my question is why did they rush to get it passed ASAP ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just announced..the stimulus wasn't supposed to work in the first 4 months..it will kick in later this year.

Patience young grasshoppers. No more complaining til 1/1/2010.

Obama says stimulus plan to kick in later this year - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090711/bs_nm/us_obama_radio_economy_9 - broken link)

snippet:
"In an advanced text of his weekly radio speech, Obama said the stimulus plan approved by Congress and signed into law in mid-February "was not designed to work in four months -- it was designed to work over two years."

So my question is why did they rush to get it passed ASAP ?
Ever work in government?

Nothing happens overnight, except in a Defcon IV situation.

And of course, programs to monitor the spending had to be designed to prevent what happened during the Reagan years with DOD spending (Hint: Even Cappy Weinberger said the money was coming too fast to monitor.)

Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Paul Krugman takes George Will to the woodshed over FDR's Big FIX | Video Cafe

Conservatives love to rewrite history so they can trumpet their own philosophy. Paul Krugman explains to George Will how FDR got America out of the Depression. Conservatives have been trying to unravel the New Deal ever since.
Krugman: There was a collapse of the financial system which was not restored for a long time. There was a deep slump in consumer demand and therefore no investment demand so we were stuck in this trap.
The website you had didn't have the video however I found the video on youtube... the video didn't show that Krugman was "right" or that he "schooled" anyone... although apparently some people took it that way...

YouTube - Krugman schools Will

I have to disagree... I highly doubt that FDR took America out of the depression with the New Deal even Krugman mentioned the slump in consumer demand, the New Deal's purpose wasn't to influence consumer demand (and it didn't influence it, I believe) it was to generate a retirement system... albeit it was placing, and this is fact by now, a burden on future generations... you could say it was stealing money from the future to fund the past if you look at it in a certain way... now that the future is tapped out of money, politicians are looking for other ways to fix social security and I think, this should worry you a lot... money is a finite source... you can print all you want, money is finite (hence, inflation)... I say FDR made things worse... how we got out of the depression is DEBATABLE... and both sides make excellent arguments however I think the New Deal argument is more of an emotional argument than one I am incline to believe...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:31 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times
Good! Now if he'd give back the unspent 90% of the first stimulus we'd be getting somewhere.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The website you had didn't have the video however I found the video on youtube...

YouTube - Krugman schools Will

I have to disagree... I highly doubt that FDR took America out of the depression with the New Deal even Krugman mentioned the slump in consumer demand, the New Deal wasn't purpose wasn't to influence consumer demand (and it didn't influence) it was to generate a retirement system... albeit it was placing, and this is fact by now, a burden on future generations... you could say it was stealing money from the future to fund the past if you look at it in a certain way... now that the future is tapped out of money, politicians are looking for other ways to fix social security and I think, this should worry you a lot... money is a finite source... you can print all you want, money is finite (hence, inflation)... I say FDR made things worse... how we got out of the depression is DEBATABLE... and both sides make excellent arguments however I think the New Deal argument is more of an emotional argument than one I am incline to believe...
Your opinion, of course.
However, your charcaterization of the New Deal is 100% off.

NRA? CCC?

But rest assured that not only was your opinion on fiscal matters proven wrong during the Hoover Years (remember the Depression began in 1929 (official; like the current one it had been in progress since about a decade prior), but also during this current one when TARP did not "Stop it cold.", like Milton Friedman predicted such a move would always do.

But understand Krugman represents the consensus of Economists and Historians.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Obama is playing the odds pretty good but only if you are uninformed... most recessions end in 2 years or so... this recession has been going on for a LONG time already... will it end? Of course it would and he asked for "2 years"... lol ... I hope he doesn't claim credit for it but somehow I think he will... Relief packages are meant to end the recession EARLIER and 2 years is retarded... He is asking that you give him the time for other things to happen that would eventually end the recession... laughable... I don't solve a problem and give an outrageous time schedule and then claim victory...

I will give an example, its like someone built a wall (recession) that is known to fall apart in one year. I will claim that if I will cross the other side simply by knocking on it (stimulus)... however, it will take two years to get to the other side so you have to wait and see... so I knock on it and it did nothing... then I wait for the wall to collapse on its own and cross to the other side (end of the recession) and then I claim victory because I knocked on it (stimulus)...

Only sheep fall for that... the point of the stimulus is to make the recession END FASTER, not to wait it out of its lifespan and then say "See, the stimulus worked."... I am not sheep but plenty of people are...

I also doubt he will not release a 2nd stimulus... He just currently has NO MONEY right now... even his own administration and party won't help him out if he messes up the budget really bad... even though it is pretty messed up...

Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Ever work in government?

Nothing happens overnight, except in a Defcon IV situation.

And of course, programs to monitor the spending had to be designed to prevent what happened during the Reagan years with DOD spending (Hint: Even Cappy Weinberger said the money was coming too fast to monitor.)
The thing is that he misled the people when this bill was introduced.
Go back and read his speeches about it. He came across that it was needed right away to get jobs created right away. "urgency" was used all throughout the debate on this bill right up until he signed it.

Public sentiment IMO is now having them back off from the "right away" to later this year.

Didn't he just promise that the stimulus would create 600K more jobs by September ?

Obama speeds projects to create, save 600,000 jobs | Politics | Reuters

Honestly if the guy was upfront when this thing was presented then maybe there wouldn't be such flack about how it's not working and the need for a 2nd one. Also, maybe Congress might have taken time to read the bill and extract some of the pork that got put in.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:45 PM

I think what they are doing is testing the waters. Mention it, deny it and then later on "reconsider".

Old 07-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Your opinion, of course.
However, your charcaterization of the New Deal is 100% off.

NRA? CCC?

But rest assured that not only was your opinion on fiscal matters proven wrong during the Hoover Years (remember the Depression began in 1929 (official; like the current one it had been in progress since about a decade prior), but also during this current one when TARP did not "Stop it cold.", like Milton Friedman predicted such a move would always do.

But understand Krugman represents the consensus of Economists and Historians.
I never believed in the TARP and even called my congressman to stop it (they didn't and instead voted for it)... Economists are a bunch of idiots that moves wherever the crowd moves to... remember "green shoots"? And history is written by the winners in the battle and I trust that bunch even less... What I like to see is more concrete proof rather than "because of this, that happened" and if the link is too much, I dismiss it outright as assumptions rather than fact... About the New Deal, I doubt most people back then understood much of the details about the reforms and new regulations... I am betting all they understood was "social security"... so when people refer to the New Deal, I am referring to what people thought about it back then rather than what we know of it today (and by people, I mean the general population)...

Old 07-11-2009, 02:05 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,334 times
I just have to note that I "love" the title of this thread: Obama lied about the economy to push through stimulus.

So the OP's contention seems to be that Obama and Biden knew how bad the economy was but deliberately understated the problem in order to push through the stimulus.

Ummm....earth to OP....earth to OP....that's not how things how!!! In order to push through a bill you need to overstate the extent of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies