Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do understand that the Salvation Army is a charity? A private charity, yes, but nevertheless, a charity. Charities help the needy. It is a shame that some then want to deny other forms of help to others who are needy. You might be surprised to hear that the SA receives government funds, as well.

How is the Salvation Army Funded? | eHow.com

Why would I care how its funded? I get enough of that in my business classes.

We must have different ideas of charity, then.

My idea of charity is something given to someone in need, a handout, without the needy person having to do anything for it or put anything forward.

Nothing was given to us. We bought it from their store. It wasnt given freely, therefore it isnt charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Why would I care how its funded? I get enough of that in my business classes.

We must have different ideas of charity, then.

My idea of charity is something given to someone in need, a handout, without the needy person having to do anything for it or put anything forward.

Nothing was given to us. We bought it from their store. It wasnt given freely, therefore it isnt charity.
I think you need a few more business classes. The SA gets government grants to do its work. You paid a subsidized price for clothes that someone had donated.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times
Quote:
I think you need a few more business classes. The SA gets government grants to do its work. You paid a subsidized price for clothes that someone had donated.
The clothes were still bought, not given freely. Work was done to obtain the money to purchase an item, same as about any retail transaction.
Meh, havent gone through the one that goes into charities and such in-depth yet (next semester though). In accounting now, so the word "funded" gives me a headache just looking at it. If you're up for charitably doing some accounting homework let me know!

Perhaps my other posts did sound bitter. For that bitter tone, I apologize. Its people who feel "entitled" to help, people that feel that the world owes them a living that truly peeve me.
Someone else said "pride comes before a fall". And for me, my pride will come first. Maybe that's why God gave me such a big butt, so I'll have some cushion.
I wont beg, as Ive seen others do. I wont demand, as Ive also seen others do. I will ask, and if that asking is denied, there's always another way. Going through what we went through, personally (and this is JUST me) I'd feel ashamed going onto government assistance ( EBT, whatever have you), because I know that my mother gave me the knowledge as to how to survive without it. The experience wasnt a bad childhood. Inbetween working I had as much fun as possible in rural SC.
It gave me friends in places I'd never have had them otherwise, it gave me a good understanding about the value of money, and and even better understanding as to what was important in life (money and status isnt it). I learned how to bust my backside to get something I wanted, and learned that even at 13 I'd go to hell and back to help my mother. Lessons learned at a price, yes..still wouldnt trade them.

So, out of curiosity, what would you call it if a person that DOESNT need things from such charities shops there?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
So, out of curiosity, what would you call it if a person that DOESNT need things from such charities shops there?
I dunno, maybe cheap?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
how about baking your own cake instead of asking the taxpayers to buy your cake? i think people are starting to object to the entitlements that welfare / food stamp users are still expecting while the middle class is expected to cut back on their own expenses to fund these entitlements. the real news for the middle class is that government is out of money and won't be able to fund these demands indefinitely.
I don't see the problem with buying a birthday cake. I don't care what the Publix cashier says, I doubt people are running into Publix everyday buying $500 cakes on their food stamps.

If I had the benefits and I know my child really wanted a party; I'd buy a $20 - $25 cake and then maybe I'd only buy enough chicken for the kids and I'd have to do a couple of PB&J or tuna sandwiches. The $20 is going to be spent either way; it is not your responsibility to monitor what people are buying.

At the end of the day it's none of the taxpayers business what you're spending the food stamps on because they are yours to spend. If I chose to buy a $20 cake or I chose to buy $20 worth of fruits and veggies - it is not anyone's business except the people that live in my household.

I have a child and he's a pretty good kid. Of course, if times get hard he'll have to understand why Christmas will be smaller than this year or why we can't go to WDW but if his birthday comes around and I have the opportunity to do something nice for a kid who deserves it I'm going to buy the damn cake, give him a little party and I personally wouldn't care what the cashier thought about it.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 AM

68 posts, read 170,896 times
Is "publix" a new word?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw740er View Post
Is "publix" a new word?
It's the name of a grocery store chain in the south, I think.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:45 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,295,356 times
Quote:
It's the name of a grocery store chain in the south, I think.
You're correct.

"Publix: where shopping is a pleasure"

Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
The clothes were still bought, not given freely. Work was done to obtain the money to purchase an item, same as about any retail transaction.
Meh, havent gone through the one that goes into charities and such in-depth yet (next semester though). In accounting now, so the word "funded" gives me a headache just looking at it. If you're up for charitably doing some accounting homework let me know!

Perhaps my other posts did sound bitter. For that bitter tone, I apologize. Its people who feel "entitled" to help, people that feel that the world owes them a living that truly peeve me.
Someone else said "pride comes before a fall". And for me, my pride will come first. Maybe that's why God gave me such a big butt, so I'll have some cushion.
I wont beg, as Ive seen others do. I wont demand, as Ive also seen others do. I will ask, and if that asking is denied, there's always another way. Going through what we went through, personally (and this is JUST me) I'd feel ashamed going onto government assistance ( EBT, whatever have you), because I know that my mother gave me the knowledge as to how to survive without it. The experience wasnt a bad childhood. Inbetween working I had as much fun as possible in rural SC.
It gave me friends in places I'd never have had them otherwise, it gave me a good understanding about the value of money, and and even better understanding as to what was important in life (money and status isnt it). I learned how to bust my backside to get something I wanted, and learned that even at 13 I'd go to hell and back to help my mother. Lessons learned at a price, yes..still wouldnt trade them.

I still don't see it as right and I think it encourages children to struggle unneccesarily instead of seeking help. I don't have a problem with a kid working to buy themselves something they want but I don't agree with a child having the burden of making sure food is on the table. The job of a parent is to provide and if it means accepting assistance for a few months while you work towards improving your life then that's means you need to swallow your pride and feed your child. I have no respect for those people feeding their children large portions of starches because they are filling rather than go on assistance and be able to serve nutrional meals. I suspect it's because they fear of being criticized by some of the overly judgmental people on this board, which is sad. No one should feel guilty about accepting help to feed their children.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
You do understand that the Salvation Army is a charity? A private charity, yes, but nevertheless, a charity. Charities help the needy. It is a shame that some then want to deny other forms of help to others who are needy. You might be surprised to hear that the SA receives government funds, as well.

How is the Salvation Army Funded? | eHow.com
the items bought from the salvation army store fund the money that goes to charity. the salvation army sales are meant for the general public, with the proceeds to help the poor. anyone buying from the salvation army helps the needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies