Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 12:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't see the problem with buying a birthday cake. I don't care what the Publix cashier says, I doubt people are running into Publix everyday buying $500 cakes on their food stamps.

If I had the benefits and I know my child really wanted a party; I'd buy a $20 - $25 cake and then maybe I'd only buy enough chicken for the kids and I'd have to do a couple of PB&J or tuna sandwiches. The $20 is going to be spent either way; it is not your responsibility to monitor what people are buying.

At the end of the day it's none of the taxpayers business what you're spending the food stamps on because they are yours to spend. If I chose to buy a $20 cake or I chose to buy $20 worth of fruits and veggies - it is not anyone's business except the people that live in my household.

I have a child and he's a pretty good kid. Of course, if times get hard he'll have to understand why Christmas will be smaller than this year or why we can't go to WDW but if his birthday comes around and I have the opportunity to do something nice for a kid who deserves it I'm going to buy the damn cake, give him a little party and I personally wouldn't care what the cashier thought about it.
don't forget to thank the cashier for providing you the money to buy your "damn" cake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,295,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
don't forget to thank the cashier for providing you the money to buy your "damn" cake!
...but make sure the cashier thanks you for buying your groceries at that particular store, thus providing him/her with employment.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
You're correct.

"Publix: where shopping is a pleasure"
I loved Publix - it was the only place where they still push the cart outside and load your groceries. Plus the bakery gives free cookies away

Old 07-19-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Oh please of all the moronic things to say; a large chunk of people on food stamps are also working and therefore are paying taxes themselves so I don't have to thank the cashier for anything except not putting the eggs on top of my bread.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I loved Publix - it was the only place where they still push the cart outside and load your groceries. Plus the bakery gives free cookies away
I really like their bakery, but down here, Publix is really the only "choice" we have. Still, as far as supermarkets go, they're pretty decent.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Oh please of all the moronic things to say; a large chunk of people on food stamps are also working and therefore are paying taxes themselves so I don't have to thank the cashier for anything except not putting the eggs on top of my bread.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I really like their bakery, but down here, Publix is really the only "choice" we have. Still, as far as supermarkets go, they're pretty decent.
Yep when I was living in Florida just about every cake came from Publix. My job used to order them monthly for birthdays; the marble cake with the cream cheese frosting and fresh strawberry filling was divine

Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,620 times
Quote:
What country do you live in because with comments like this it can't be America. At leats not America 2009. When you see someone using food stamps you have no way of knowing if they are a mythical welfare queen, or a waitress at a restaurant that hasn't been getting many customers lately (meaning not many tips), or a teacher who just got laid off due to school closings or a janitor whose hours got cut back to the point where the need additional help. The cashier's job is to ring up the food - it's not to judge the person buying it.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
What country do you live in because with comments like this it can't be America. At leats not America 2009. When you see someone using food stamps you have no way of knowing if they are a mythical welfare queen, or a waitress at a restaurant that hasn't been getting many customers lately (meaning not many tips), or a teacher who just got laid off due to school closings or a janitor whose hours got cut back to the point where the need additional help. The cashier's job is to ring up the food - it's not to judge the person buying it.
Well duh...obviously the waitress, the teacher and the janitor will have sold their vehicles, nice clothing and any jewelry before reducing themselves to take entitlements from the system they have been taxes into. So all you have to do is spot the one driving the new car, talking on an Iphone and carrying a Coach bag. THAT'S why Roger Podacter is dead!!! He found the Welfare Queen!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Thank you. Glad somebody gets the point.

And who are you to tell me what I job deserve and what I dont? Ive got one,and am fortunate that I do and will continue to. You've no idea, sister, what some of my co-workers are like, because you see the niceness that is a huge part of our training, NOT what their opinions are when you walk out the door.

*Chuckle*
Well, this IS South Carolina...some would call it backward. I prefer the term "quirky"
Sweetheart, I dont care about the details on how an EBT works.They pay, they go. Big deal.Just another face, just another customer after the smiles and pleasantries are exchanged. When an alert comes up on my register saying certain portions of the order were denied, I cannot override it. Every single time I've ever seen an EBT card try to purchase those mentioned items, it has been DENIED.
Oh, and by the way, Salvation Army has a thrift store where clothes were BOUGHT, not given to us.
Miserable life? No. Ive quite a nice one, thankyouverymuch. Subject that PO's me in certain aspects and brings out a highly sarcastic and cynical side? Yes.
You could roast hotdogs with all of that flaming you're doing Ms Lindsey.
If I knew what publix you worked at, I would call your managers attention to your attitude. Your posts would make fascinating reading for them just before they fired you.

Deny it all you want but the Salvation is a CHARITY, Miss I'm better then everyone else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies