Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 01:48 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Of course you do

Ugh now I have to go and look since it has been several years since I've been on food stamps and unlike others I actually attempt to say accurate information - maybe they're just throwing food stamps at people these days.

Ahh it would appear you're right - according to the Access One website a Federal law was passed in March raising the amount of monthly benefits. As of April 2009 a family of 4 with a Gross Income under $1,907 qualifies for $526 monthly. I guess if that was a full-time job it'd be a little under $12 an hour - so there you go; the people you see on food stamps do have income and are paying taxes so it's okay now. We can all stop complaining about them wasting our tax dollars.

The Florida Department of Children and Families
a family of four making 1900 a month doesn't pay any taxes. are you smoking crack???
on top of that they get ACTC and EIC back every year that they didn't pay into...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Well if your going to go to the point of saying that, you don't want them buying things that are unhealthy from what I am seeing, why not make a rule to that it all be Organic as well. Think of the bundle that would cost if everyone on Foodstamps shopped only where they could buy organic foods.
sure, because real studies have shown that organic food is better for you. sure, I'll wait for the link...

Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 AM

this will be my last post on the subject.
For those of you who don't understand why we get upset over people living off the gov't.
We see these people living right down the street from us, same neighborhood, they get their rent or mortgage subsidized by section 8, usually drive a nice ride, with $2,000 rims. Get food stamps for the food, if cap and trade passes, they'll get subsidies for their electric bill. In some places there are bills looking to pass to pay some of their cell phone bill.
All the while, they barely work, or not at all, and yet now they can provide the same type of life you do for your family, without lifting a finger.
And you wonder why we get upset??? All gov't programs should be time limited, just like unemployment. If you can't get your life back on track in a year, sorry, you have to wait 6-12 months for more benefits.
Where is the reason for working? they have proved that people on welfare usually "make" more than someone making minimum wage, so why even bother???
This country is so far gone, I doubt it will ever get turned back around.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do understand that the Salvation Army is a charity? A private charity, yes, but nevertheless, a charity. Charities help the needy. It is a shame that some then want to deny other forms of help to others who are needy. You might be surprised to hear that the SA receives government funds, as well.

How is the Salvation Army Funded? | eHow.com
a charity is voluntary. my taxes are not. And sorry, since all of you "dem's" are all about overhead. The salvation army does more with a lot less then your precious gov't.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If I knew what publix you worked at, I would call your managers attention to your attitude. Your posts would make fascinating reading for them just before they fired you.

Deny it all you want but the Salvation is a CHARITY, Miss I'm better then everyone else...
wow, now who is really bitter??? trying to get someone fired for their personal opinion away from work?
I know a lawyer who would really love that case!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:27 AM

284 posts, read 543,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Today at work my I found out that the two girls I work with both were on food stamps.
I was on my way to lunch when I realize I didn't bring anything from home. So I tell the girls I work with that I was going to be "bad" and swing by MC Donalds and pick up a chease burger and a drink. One girl ask me to please bring her back a burger and a sprite. She hands me her , what I thought was a debit card, and says " buy your lunch too. It will be free for both of us. I look at her kind of funny and ask how it can be free when she pays for it. I buy my own lunch, I told her and you can pay me back for yours later. When I came back from lunch I told her the total cost of her burger and a soda. It came to $3.50 including tax. She looks at me and says "omg, this could have been free!" "you should have used my food stamps"

So this bank card I thought she handed me was really food stamps. This girls drives a brand new Corvette and dresses really nicely. She is always bragging about all this men giving her stuff and how they pay her bills and so on.
She is working a full time job and lives with her mom.! What is up with this?

Then my other coworker shows me her food stamp card too! She says she gets $300,00 a month. That's more then me and my family spend on food in a whole month.

After work I went to the grocery store. As I am standing in line I notice people around me with grocery carts filled up to the rim with hundreds of dollars worth of food. This is not the first time I see this and I always wondered how in the hell can everybody but me and my husband afford to buy this much food. I am hardly living in a wealthy part of Memphis, TN.
I am exited if I can afford to buy a six pack of beer for my husband and I to share on Friday night. I can not remember last time I went out and spend over 300 bucks worth of food.
So after what happened at work today I am checking how this people are paying for their loaded carts. And my suspicions were confirmed. They all paid, 3 different people, with food stamps. This guy in front of me bought stuff for almost $400,00 worth!
It just amazes me.
Where do you work? Just curious because your spelling and verb conjugation skills are terrible.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
I would bet that for every one person who really needs it, there is another person who is on it that doesn't really qualify.
I agree but that's not just with food stamps - that's everything in life. For every cashier who is honest and does a good job, there is another one who doesn't ring up their friends items. For every good teacher who spends their own money on supplies, there's one who orders extra supplies for their personal use. For every good cop, there's a crooked one. For every doctor who cares about their patients, there’s one who won’t remember you from Tuesday to Wednesday.

People are people. Some are good; some aren't. Some are honest; some aren't. But if you were to go by some of the posters on this forum you'd think that EVERY person of food stamps was scamming the system.

I just shake my head at the posters who say “I have never seen a person on food stamps buying fruits and vegetables” because either they’re flat out lying or they are looking for a shopper to confirm what they already believe.

When I was on food stamps I brought more fruits and vegetables than I ever had previously because that was the first time I could afford to do so. And I’m sure someone standing 2 or 3 carts behind me said “I can’t believe she’s buying a $6 bag of cherries. I can’t believe she has 8 mangos. She’s buying peaches, necatarines and plums! She should be buying canned fruit with my tax dollars – it’s cheaper.”

For every person who scams the system, there is one who truly needs the food to feed their family.

Unless you know them personally, you have no way of determining which category they fall in by the few minutes you spend staring at them in the store as you add up all the stuff in their basket and check out their clothing, car, jewelry, etc.

So your best bet is to mind your own business and be thankful that you don't rely on public assistance to feed your family.

Quote:
a family of four making 1900 a month doesn't pay any taxes. are you smoking crack???
on top of that they get ACTC and EIC back every year that they didn't pay into...
If you're working legally- you pay taxes. Are you smoking crack?

So now the argument has become: They don't pay as much taxes as I do so therefore I am still entitled to complain about them and how they are wasting my tax dollars

OH AND THAT BUTTON NEXT TO THE QUOTE BUTTON WILL ALLOW YOU TO REPLY TO SEVERAL POSTS AT ONCE....PLEASE USE IT!

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-21-2009 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
I would bet that for every one person who really needs it, there is another person who is on it that doesn't really qualify. .
I doubt that half of the people on food stamps really don't qualify.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

OH AND TIME THAT BUTTON NEXT TO THE QUOTE BUTTON WILL ALLOW YOU TO REPLY TO SEVERAL POSTS AT ONCE....PLEASE USE IT!
I know you aren't talking to me, but I'm another one who's guilty of not using the multi quote feature. In my case, it just won't work. I click on that little thing and nothing happens.

Edited--I figured it out. I shouldn't try to think before I've had coffee.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
So.. no spices, oils, sweeteners or white flours with which to prepare common recipes? No mayo or miracle whip to mix up with your tuna, no cheese....
Clearly, this cunning plan has not been thought all the way through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies