Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,317,517 times

Advertisements

To the uninsured:

How much to you think you will have to pay for your "free" healthare? What do you think your premium will be each month out of pocket?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,801,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
free basic healthcare would be the jobs driver that the country needs
By "free", do you mean that you're volunteering to pay the portion of my taxes that will be taken to pay for this? Plus pay for the increased prices on everything I will be buying from employers who are paying more?

Thanks, freefall! You da man! I'll start sending you regular bills next month.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:40 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,121,687 times
Quote:
Sick of ridiculous emergency room bills? If the private hospitals have to compete with free government clinics maybe they will be more reasonable. All the new hospitals and clinics need staff and we can train them here instead of import them. That is the most likely avenue for job creation, not 'green'.
What happens to the "free government clinics" when they get bombarded with the same malpractice lawsuits that plague the entire industry?

I'd like to say that "free" health care is going to bankrupt the country, but we already are broke.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
Baasially what we will see is rationed care;hospitals cutting staff because of cuts in payments;doctors cherry privating patients for same reason and the bill will still keep mounting just as medicare and medaicid has. If the house bill goes thur then we will see less investemnt in the economy because of the changed risk /reward changes and the senate bill will hurt small business. Just as there is no free lunch ;there is no free healthcare.I can actually see businesses not rehiring to the degree that as more normal as things improve with the recession ;because of these cost.Certainly more outsourcing and less manufacturing as the emerging markets grow hurting exports and related jobs.Basically it will add to cost and make our goods less comptitive.

Last edited by texdav; 07-15-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,940,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Yes, I find this part of the "plan" very perplexing. Obama says this plan will provide more care and better care for everyone, and it will cost less. How on earth can any of you swallow such a blatant contradiction of reality. It's like saying I can build you a newer, better house and it will be cheaper than the one you have now. This mix of words just doesn't compute, plain and simple.

Also, I keep hearing the words "public option" How can you call a mandatory plan an option? Are any of you asking yourselves these questions too? This is just the latest attempt by our government to take more control of our lives and force us to do what they want. Funny how they really got fired up about healthcare right after they gained a large interest in AIG, one of the largest insurance providers in the world. And hey, wasn't that tax payer money that saved AIG? Well hell, we don't need to be taxed for healthcare. We already own our own insurance multi national. And I don't know about you, but I haven't seen any returns on my investment yet. I guess they can just keep it and pay for any medical costs I have come up.

Oh, and while I am thinking about it, isn't it funny how we are going to be taxed to pay off the stimulus bill that came from our tax money? I didn't know it worked like that. So we allow the government to lend our money to all these corporations and banks to help them out, and then we pay our own money back into the system. Hey, whatever works right.
This is all seeming like a horrible nightmare that we can't seem to wake up from.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Sick of ridiculous emergency room bills? If the private hospitals have to compete with free government clinics maybe they will be more reasonable. All the new hospitals and clinics need staff and we can train them here instead of import them. That is the most likely avenue for job creation, not 'green'.
What new hospitals ? Are new hospitals and medical education part of the healthcare bill ?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,796,800 times
Quote:
If the private hospitals have to compete with free government clinics
private hospitals competing with "free" government clinics. sounds great.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,472,065 times
Wow, Free health care

That will be cool when we don't have to pay for it.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Wow, Free health care

That will be cool when we don't have to pay for it.
i cant wait for free food!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM

785 posts, read 1,051,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Free government healthcare? Everything the government does costs more than what the private sector can do it for.
Not true. The United States spends 17% of its GDP on health care, which is the most in the world. However, we are the only industrialized country that has uninsured, and we have 47 million of them. Countries like Canada, UK and France have single-payer systems and they spend a much lower percentage of their GDP's on healthcare and they insure everyone. All of these 3 countries health care systems have a better overall performance than ours, according to the World Health Organization. The reason we are so inefficient is because 31% of our health care dollars go to overhead and paperwork. It is inevitiable in a for-profit private system that this will happen because of the bills and the high executive salaries that you don't see in countries with single-payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies