Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 01:05 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,666 times

Advertisements

The Rs on the Senate Judiciary Committee spent so much time playing to their base that they had to assume that no moderates, Latinos, Blacks or anyone else with cognitive ability was watching. I know that these hearings are more about the questioners than the appointee, but my gosh, some of these guys need to have their staff do a bit more research on THEMSELVES before sitting up there posturing. Instead they spent the week trying to portray Sotmayor as what they are, overemotional, biased idealogues. Here's just a sampling of what we were subjected to last week;

Exhibit A: Tom ("I counseled Ensign on his affair, but I did so as a Doctor"-he's an ob-gyn!) Coburn; "You got some 'splainin' to do". Great, make fun of a guy that was bi-lingual, was the "Desi" in DesiLu productions which produced, among other shows the #1 rated Lucille Ball show. Desi Arnaz spoke two languages at least as well as Coburn speaks one

Coburn also was pretty unaware of The Holocaust, else why would he denounce the movie "Schindler's List" as full of "full frontal nudity and irresponsible sexual activity"! That one got him called down by none other than Bill Bennet, professional moralizer and gambling addict.

His lack of understanding of the Nazis is only exceeded by his lack of understanding of Al Queda. A few years ago he proclaimed that the "gay agenda" is the biggest threat facing America.

Exhibit B: Lindsey Graham; Questioned whether Sotomayor had a "temperament problem" (hmmm, has he ever heard, or read anything from Scalia?), and that this might be a time for "self-reflection". Really Lindsey. You were a "class of '94 who came in pledging term limits, served as prosecution manager for Clinton's impeachment stating that Clinton should resign. Yet within the last two months he went on "Meet The Press" to say that the voters of SC will "forgive Mark Sanford" if he gets back together with the Mrs."

His stand on his buddy John Ensign (R/your bedroom) is just as forgiving as he has stated that an ethics investigation of Ensign isn't high on his list of priorities. Maybe it's time for Graham to practice a little "self-reflection".

Exhibit C: Jeff Sessions. The less said about this unreconstructed racist the better. Just look up his hearings when he was trying to move up from US Attorney to Judge. "Fellow traveler" of the KKK is too mild a description.

I think that the hearings did show one thing. That a "wise Latina", while perhaps not "more often than not reaching a better decision" than a white male. Could darn sure hold her own against this pack of leftovers from the '50s. They are seeing their old world (WHITE MEN RULE!) crashing down around their ears and are powerless to stop it. The irony is that while they may blame "others" (Black Presidents, Latina Justices, Hippies, Liberals, the ACLU, the "liberal media", gays) for it, they don't realize that they are hastening it, and making many others, including thinking whites, glad to see it!

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,774 times
i didn't get the same impression you got. I thought she side-stepped and double talked her way around questions to the point where you would need a translator to understand what she was saying. And she annoyed me with the constant writing on her pad before they even completed a question - what could she have possibly been writing? maybe that's why she couldn't answer the questions because she didn't hear them

Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
As a paralegal, I jot notes about long and complex questions, too.
Just saying.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,030,169 times
When she would answer questions the first person that came to my mind was Alan Greenspan. Speaking a language of there own.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 PM

689 posts, read 743,282 times
I don't think it would have mattered if she sat there and picked her nose to be quite honest. Going through the motions...

Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As a paralegal, I jot notes about long and complex questions, too.
Just saying.
No I've seen that before but when I was watching she would start writing before they even really asked anything...they would say "in your experience" and she'd be writing....unless she was trying to write the questions verbatim I have no idea what she could have been doing.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Lindsey Graham is a closet Democrat who happens to be "pro-life".

Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
No I've seen that before but when I was watching she would start writing before they even really asked anything...they would say "in your experience" and she'd be writing....unless she was trying to write the questions verbatim I have no idea what she could have been doing.
I noticed that also!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:38 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Lindsey Graham is a closet Democrat who happens to be "pro-life".
There is a lot of speculation here that he is "pro-gay", too.

It's running the local pols nuts.

No pun intended.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
I liked it when Chuckie Schumer made himself cry by mentioning Nancy Drew.

It's menopause city for Chuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies