Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

This is a good one. The rich are griping about possibly having for pay landing FEES that the rest of us have to pay everytime we fly on a commercial airliner. They actually have the nerve to gripe about a $25 fee when they are flying around in jets that cost millions of dollars to buy and probably hundreds per hour to fly!! I mean, can you believe these people???

The private jet owners oppose any imposition of fees. Senator Jeff Bingaman of is the biggest hindrance in the passing congressional legislation on the issue thanks to the 1,300 Eclipse Aviation employees in Albuquerque who make those jets. He chaired a Senate Finance subcommittee where the owner of Eclipse said a bill approved earlier by the Senate Commerce Committee to levy a $25-per-flight fee on private jets would unfairly hurt customers and possibly sales of Eclipse's six-seat, $1.5 million very light jet.
Oh, so the rich won't go out and buy a plane because of a $25 fee???

Note that they don't pay any share of fees and taxes even now!

Those who fly private jets enjoy a luxury that is unknown to the average commercial flyer. They skip security check lines, bag security checks, board with knives and are driven to their plane already on the tarmac. The taxpayers are funding many of these perks through the Federal allotments. Plus, private jet owners don’t have to pay a $3.40 segment fee, a $3 passenger facility fee, a $2.50 security fee and avoid a the 7.5% surcharge tax on tickets which is used for improving the air traffic control systems.

Private Jets Oppose Assessment of Landing Fees: Corporate amd Private Aircraft Should Share in Airport Costs | Suite101.com (http://americanaffairs.suite101.com/article.cfm/private_jets_oppose_assessment_fee - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,182 times
As long as YOU are not among the RICH!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,719 times
I think this article is full of misinformation and half truths.

Planes of small corporate jet size already pay a couple hundred dollars in landing fees as they touch down at airports around the country. Similarly, large passenger carriers also pay landing fees.

Why don't you actually find the approved bill that explains this supposed $25 dollar objection. Something doesn't add up.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I think this article is full of misinformation and half truths.

Planes of small corporate jet size already pay a couple hundred dollars in landing fees as they touch down at airports around the country. Similarly, large passenger carriers also pay landing fees.

Why don't you actually find the approved bill that explains this supposed $25 dollar objection. Something doesn't add up.
Agreed. There are fees to land, fees to taxi, fees to park, overnight fees, terminal fees, jet center fees etc etc.

Believe me, they wouldn't be freaking out over a $25 fee... there's way more to this.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
KevK, would you complain if gas was arbitratily hiked $1.00/gal?

Same concept. Talk about a post stinking of jealousy....KevK, thanks for showing us what the definition of class envy is.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:39 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
KevK, would you complain if gas was arbitratily hiked $1.00/gal?

Same concept. Talk about a post stinking of jealousy....KevK, thanks for showing us what the definition of class envy is.
why should there be class in the first place? its NOT like KevK isnt bailing out fatcats on wallstreet already

Old 07-20-2009, 01:39 PM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Talk about a post stinking of jealousy....KevK, thanks for showing us what the definition of class envy is.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 PM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
why should there be class in the first place?

If there weren't what would the bottom portion complain about?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
why should there be class in the first place? its NOT like KevK isnt bailing out fatcats on wallstreet already
And every paycheck a chunk is taken out for social security, medicare and a host of other taxes which pay for services I never expect to use. I have worked non-stop since I was 16 so I wouldn't have to depend on anyone else. I am by no means rich, but I give to charity to help those less fortunate in my city on top of taxes as it is. Everyday people have been 'bailing out' the lower classes for years.

Why do we have classes? History will tell us the answer to that. America was founded (and grew) out of mostly European traditions. The main difference in terms of gaining 'success' at our countries origin was the question of how it should be measured. In Europe an aristocracy was in place - it was easy to tell who was 'better' than the next person. In America, it was not so simple. With the absense of an aristocracy and the continued presense of western mindsets, a conflict took place in early American society. The answer which emerged took place in defining success through what someone's profession turned out to be. Doctors, Lawyers, Ivy League Professors are percieved in higher esteem than restaurant hosts, Wal-Mart greeters, and dry cleaners. The dollar has (in my opinion, unfortunately) turned into the measure of success in America. The major difference between the American monitary class system and a traditional Aristocracy is the ability to move up the ladder. If someone in America is upset or unhappy about their position, they CAN take steps to change it. If KevK is upset over the presence of excessive wealth (as it seems he is), he can personally do things to change the system. To give an example, a radiologist in his/her first year out of a residency can make over $400,000. KevK could study to go to medical school, begin to earn that salary. After all, what would have more of a positive effect on improving the difference between economic classes, complaining for the government to 'do something about it', or working to make that $400,000 salary and giving 80% of it away to those who need it? I agree completely classes are an unfortunate truth in American society, however they ARE here, and working within the system seems to be the better way to effect lasting change. Threads which complain about 'the rich' frustrate me. Every person posting here has an equal opportunity to study to become a doctor, or start up a company (are you willing to put in 80+ hour weeks for the next 10 years before you see a profit? Most 'rich' doctors and highly successful entrepreneurs take that risk). Complaining about issues like this seems to be energy which is better spent on more productive things.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is a good one. The rich are griping about possibly having for pay landing FEES that the rest of us have to pay everytime we fly on a commercial airliner. They actually have the nerve to gripe about a $25 fee when they are flying around in jets that cost millions of dollars to buy and probably hundreds per hour to fly!! I mean, can you believe these people???

The private jet owners oppose any imposition of fees. Senator Jeff Bingaman of is the biggest hindrance in the passing congressional legislation on the issue thanks to the 1,300 Eclipse Aviation employees in Albuquerque who make those jets. He chaired a Senate Finance subcommittee where the owner of Eclipse said a bill approved earlier by the Senate Commerce Committee to levy a $25-per-flight fee on private jets would unfairly hurt customers and possibly sales of Eclipse's six-seat, $1.5 million very light jet.
Oh, so the rich won't go out and buy a plane because of a $25 fee???

Note that they don't pay any share of fees and taxes even now!

Those who fly private jets enjoy a luxury that is unknown to the average commercial flyer. They skip security check lines, bag security checks, board with knives and are driven to their plane already on the tarmac. The taxpayers are funding many of these perks through the Federal allotments. Plus, private jet owners don’t have to pay a $3.40 segment fee, a $3 passenger facility fee, a $2.50 security fee and avoid a the 7.5% surcharge tax on tickets which is used for improving the air traffic control systems.

Private Jets Oppose Assessment of Landing Fees: Corporate amd Private Aircraft Should Share in Airport Costs | Suite101.com (http://americanaffairs.suite101.com/article.cfm/private_jets_oppose_assessment_fee - broken link)
Is Algore among those "rich" people you are talking about? He wants everybody else to cut their carbon footprint but doesn't seem to want to park his jet. Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies