Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM

37,808 posts, read 41,097,858 times

Advertisements

As the OP, I just want to say that I did not post the poll at the top of this thread. In fact, I don't know how to put a poll on City-Data so I don't know how it got there.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,458,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree. This a long held belief of mine as well.

I also question the merits of some forms of treatment for terminal illnesses. At what point do you just concede that life isn't fair and no one is guaranteed tomorrow? I am a very compassionate person. I don't want to see anyone suffer and I don't want anyone's life cut short. But a line has to be drawn in my opinion. Ensuring that someone has another 6 months to live is fantastic, but at what cost and who pays for it? To me, that's a hard sell because the outcome is still the same.
And tell me, do you feel the same way if God Forbid this is your child (if you have any), or a loved family member?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,021,080 times
Merged thread.

Here's a juicy tidbit from last night;

Quote:
The one commitment that I’ve been clear about is I don’t want that final one-third of the cost of health care to be completely shouldered on the backs of middle class families who are already struggling in a difficult economy.

And so, if I see a proposal that is primarily funded through taxing middle class families, I’m going to be opposed to that because I think there are better ideas to do it.
Now, I seem to remember obama saying middle class families would see their taxes go DOWN. So, is he now saying he would be OK with a MC tax hike to pay for his ruinous HC?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,189,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As the OP, I just want to say that I did not post the poll at the top of this thread. In fact, I don't know how to put a poll on City-Data so I don't know how it got there.
One of the threads that was merged with yours had a poll on it with one vote, so with a bit of re-wording on the question (to remove biases), it seemed like a good poll to keep.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,350,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
http://docs.house.gov/edlabor/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf (broken link)

Go to pages 425 to 430.

1 out of every 4 healthcare dollars goes to the last two weeks of a person's life. The healthcare bill outlines a way to end this.
It's not that ending one's life at this stage is a bad thing. But do you really want the government involved? Standing at your shoulder telling you that you have to let your loved one die?
My comment and the post to which I commented:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by re1427
don't worry.....if obama gets his way we will all die waiting to get the operation we need or cancer treatment.
I keep reading comments like this one on every thread that mentions health care reform.

How about backing up statements like this one with specific details (and links) from existing health care reform legislation.

Otherwise, I -and other rational minded readers - will assume that you are just spouting right wing scare talk....
I read the pages you suggested and I saw nothing in them to indicate that treatment would be withheld, as re1427 asserted. I stand by my assertion that re1427 is spouting right wing scare talk.

Additionally, I read a lot about informing/educating patients and their proxies of end of life services, but no language stating that a gov't agency would make those decisions for the patient. Of course, it's a lot of legalese and I may have missed or misunderstood the subsection that created such an agency. If so, feel free to point it out to me,

Old 07-23-2009, 09:47 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,124,764 times
I'm just very glad that the OP is not MY grandchild. And for all of you who think that when you get old you will be just tickled pink to shuffle off the coils of earth so that you can save the system some bucks......hah! Just remember that when you really ARE old. I remember saying similar things when I was young and was sure I'd never be old. Heck, I remember when 20 seemed "old." Then 40. Then 60. Now when I see someone in their 70s died I think they were too young to die.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,021,080 times
CNSNews.com - Former AMA Head Warns of ‘Disaster in the Details’ of Obama Health Overhaul (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=51439 - broken link)

Quote:
He added that the president’s “public option” plan in particular would be a disaster for patients and medical innovation.

“When it comes to health system reform: slow down. Patients’ lives are at risk,” Palmisano told reporters at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday. “Today, in America, we have the best health care system in the world – a system that provides urgent, preventative, and long-term care in every community at all hours of the day.

“The health care system is never closed in the United States,” he said.

Palmisano said that there were problems with the system, particularly in financing, but these problems deserved careful examination and debate – not the hurried, hasty process Obama wanted Congress to take.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,885,779 times
Fact the First - WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

It is how we treat others while we are alive that counts. I have already lost most of my family to old age. They were provided with good care until they died. My one remaining aunt is about ready to go. I can see it in her eyes. I don't think she will require extensive treatment.

I have to wonder where this Draconian idea that UHC will abandon the elderly because they "cost too much". I smell a very large right wing rat in this entire argument. Just another lie to frighten the gullible.

Liberals do not abandon the elderly or anyone else. We let people more worried about money than morality to do that.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,124,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Fact the First - WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

It is how we treat others while we are alive that counts. I have already lost most of my family to old age. They were provided with good care until they died. My one remaining aunt is about ready to go. I can see it in her eyes. I don't think she will require extensive treatment.

I have to wonder where this Draconian idea that UHC will abandon the elderly because they "cost too much". I smell a very large right wing rat in this entire argument. Just another lie to frighten the gullible.

Liberals do not abandon the elderly or anyone else. We let people more worried about money than morality to do that.

Tried to rep you but "they" won't let me. Consider yourself repped.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM

5,481 posts, read 12,265,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
but this is false:
"This action will collapse the private health insurance market, and then the Federal Government will own the health provider game."

If anything it will create more competition and the healthcare providers will become more efficient and cut their costs. They will not collapse. That is how competition should work.
THis can't happen because Govt isn't required to turn a profit, whereas, private insurance/business is. There can be no competition if you've got the govt playing umpire and ball at the same time. Doesn't even make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies