Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,747,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
but why does the government have to make it a law? Why is Government making private decisions for people?

Who cares how long this has been a law? Its a Government intrusion in private lives. I know you liberals love it when the government tells you what to do.
Terri Schiavo and many other similar cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM

17 posts, read 30,033 times
The problem is with the Government issuing a medical directive like this as part of a law. Period.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,587,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Section 1233 of H.R. 3200. The section, titled “Advanced Care Planning Consultation” requires all senior citizens to meet at least every 5 years with a doctor or nurse practitioner to discuss dying with dignity and their options.

This is not about creating a living will, advanced directives,etc This is a manditory meeting with an appointed Dr every 5 yrs to counsel you and discuss your death and your options. This is for healthy 65 + yr olds.

Go ahead and attack me and think I am lying and just trying to cause trouble. That is what all liberals do best. Just want til this is your Mom or Dad your better yet YOU!
Dude, my parents DO go to the doctor....ALL THE TIME. It's called getting the care they need. PLUS they've already gone over their options when they die. Are you actually serious??? You're seriously getting this outraged over an issue that is a NON-ISSUE???? WTF is wrong w/you? I can't even deal w/people who are so utterly irrational they huff & puff over the stupidest sh*t. Grab a clue.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's just smoke to promote negative publicity about the bill.

I don't like the bill myself, but making crap up is ridiculous....it's just propaganda. Base the debate on the facts and don't insult the listener that they cannot make their own decision by lying and fear mongering to the to decide your way.

If they did it half of congress would be asked if they want to end their lives, which would last about 30 seconds.
I heard on the news that congress would have a different health plan than the rest of us, so no they would not be asked this question. It is frightening to have a president talk about health care rationing. Sick! Sick! Sick!

I said years ago that if we allow babies to keep being murdered just because their birth is inconvenient, that the next thing in line would be to start killing off old people because they are thought to be inconvenient too. I think this health plan is headed in that direction and we need to stop it before it get started. What on earth is wrong with people and their thinking?

We live in a nation where you are free to go out and make a life for yourself. Why does anyone need anything else for themselves. You are free to start any business, work as hard as you want to, help your neighbor if they are having trouble, but we don't need unChristian people telling us how to live our lives. Get rid of these bums. They are evil.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,301,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So, if you haven't had this sort of discussion with your doctor in the past 5 years, you should have one. What is wrong with this exactly?
Things can change a lot in five years.
You got it. And I don't see a requirement to actually MAKE an AD, just to be educated on it, and what your options are.

From the bill:

Quote:
‘‘(4) A consultation under this subsection may include the formulation of an order regarding life sustaining treatment or a similar order.
May, not must. And the decision-maker? The patient.

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Katiana, my family has had to go through meetings with my mother's doctors to determine how far we wanted to go to keep her alive. She has a rare autoimmune disorder (Wegener's Granulomatosis), which, at its peak, involved almost all body systems. Since she also has severe osteoporosis, the doctors advised us of what would happen to her if they attempted CPR. Even my stepfather, who would move heaven and earth to keep her here, agreed that a DNR was in order, should her heart become involved. Thankfully, it did not, and she is still with us, 9 years later.

And, yet - I don't know if she has an Advance Directive. I hope she does, but I doubt it. She's a procrastinator (must be where I get it from!).
I'm glad your mom is here. I would give anything to see my mom again. She had strong wishes, as an RN who did a lot of home care for seniors, to not have heroic measures used on her. In the end, she died in her sleep in a nursing home.

2,229 posts, read 1,690,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks to Emerlamaiden, we have a link. It requires advance planning consultation IF, IF, IF, IF the patient has not done so in the past 5 years. If you have an advance directive that is more than 5 years old. IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF, IF. What part of IF do some of you not understand?

No one is required to go to a "consultation" every 5 years. You are just required to update your plans if it has been more than 5 years. Why is this a good idea? Because circumstances change. Your spouse might be your POA, and s/he is no longer alive to do so, etc.
Um. The requirement is that you have an advance planning consultation if the patient has not done so in the past 5 years as you stated. So if you do it, and then 5 years passes, doesn't it require that you go again. Then every 5 years, isn't it required?

The IF means nothing.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Um. The requirement is that you have an advance planning consultation if the patient has not done so in the past 5 years as you stated. So if you do it, and then 5 years passes, doesn't it require that you go again. Then every 5 years, isn't it required?

The IF means nothing.
You don't have to do it every five years, like a clockwork. If more than five years have elapsed since you last had a consultation, you have to have another one. If you had one ten years ago, hadn't been in the hospital since, you would need another one.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,690,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't have to do it every five years, like a clockwork. If more than five years have elapsed since you last had a consultation, you have to have another one. If you had one ten years ago, hadn't been in the hospital since, you would need another one.
So... basically, its every 5 years. Which is what the OP said. Which is what 5 pages of attacks and negativity proved.

Just wanted to be sure.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
So... basically, its every 5 years. Which is what the OP said. Which is what 5 pages of attacks and negativity proved.

Just wanted to be sure.
NO. You just don't get it. People are not going to be "scheduled" for such consultations every five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies