Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Nothing like scaring the living hell out of gullible little children, so they take part in a propaganda commercial to further your ideological, political or financial agenda.
That's right! Scare the pants off of the new generation so that they have a chance not to follow in the footsteps of their moron predecessors that mucked up the planet. My nieces and nephews do not seem to be spooked due to ecological education. Now tell me that the movie Wall-E gave kids nightmares. What a pathetically weak argument!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I don't know why this is so confusing to so many non-scientists, but more extreme shifts between cold and warm in regional climates is an indication of overall global climate change. You have to look at the overall global trend in temperature, which research shows (posted right here in this thread) continues an unprecendented upward climb.

I find it sad that so many fight human innovation, jobs creation, and new economies that simply end pollution. We should all want to end pollution, regardless of this issue.

I think what it comes down to is ideology. To admit that humans could be destroying our planet would be to admit that humans are not able to function without regulation. That puts a HUGE hole in the free market argument, so that's why you see people line up on political sides with this issue, then falsely interpret regional fluxuations as proof that the science is wrong.

Really folks, there's no real scientific debate that the climate is warming. The only debate is how much impact humans are having on it.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I find it sad that so many fight human innovation, jobs creation, and new economies that simply end pollution. We should all want to end pollution, regardless of this issue.

The only debate is how much impact humans are having on it.
I'm with you on these points. My own personal carbon footprint is so tiny it's disgusting. I'm all for innovation, particularly when it saves me $$$. I agree wholeheartedly that there are more efficient, and cleaner means of doing almost everything we do. I have no love of "pollution".

I simply do NOT subscribe to the "belief" that humans are contributing to the effects of a natural climate fluctuation, on a massive scale. And even if I did, how would giving more tax dollars to the government solve that?

Your attempt to paint anyone dissenting the notion of GW, as a polluting, anti ecological, earth hating, smoke belching, condo developer is a bit off base....

Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I'm with you on these points. My own personal carbon footprint is so tiny it's disgusting. I'm all for innovation, particularly when it saves me $$$. I agree wholeheartedly that there are more efficient, and cleaner means of doing almost everything we do. I have no love of "pollution".

I simply do NOT subscribe to the "belief" that humans are contributing to the effects of a natural climate fluctuation, on a massive scale. And even if I did, how would giving more tax dollars to the government solve that?
Of course, Californians are still having to deal with numerous floods caused by gold mines.

Suggest you read Env. History in the US for your answer.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:05 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I had a post earlier in this thread that also showed a global view...
Near-record global warmth recorded in June - USATODAY.com
From the article - "The main cause for the warmth was the development of El Niño" Bot CO2 from man made global warming.

The story takes a week in June, when temps were actually high, it hit almost 95 degrees were I live, and people like Rice use this one week to prove global warming is really caused by mankind. BTW, he is full of crap, the entire world is not experiencing higher then normal temps.

April 2009, both hemispheres:
New Australian continent wide low temperature record set for April « Watts Up With That?
Forecast: Record low temperature possible this morning : Stories : Memphis Commercial Appeal

July 2009:
Key West, FL sets new subzero “record low†temperature – Update: now snowing! « Watts Up With That?
National Climate Summary  June 2009: Cold and frosty with plentiful sunshine | infonews.co.nz New Zealand's local news community
Signs of the Times News for Sun, 26 Jul 2009
Hey Al, Did You get the MEMO? 3000 Low Temperature Records Set in July 2009 | Scared Monkeys
Record Low Temperatures Hit Northeast : Now! Hampshire

Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
I don't know why this is so confusing to so many non-scientists, but more extreme shifts between cold and warm in regional climates is an indication of overall global climate change. You have to look at the overall global trend in temperature, which research shows (posted right here in this thread) continues an unprecendented upward climb.
Yup, before the advent of the motor vehicle and industrialization, the earth's climate never, ever fluctuated, not one little bit.

Quote:
We do want a cleaner world, but we do not want to be punished into poverty to accomplish it.

Government can offer incentives to cleaner energy without punishing the living crap out of us for using our current energy at the same time.

Quote:
I think what it comes down to is ideology. To admit that humans could be destroying our planet would be to admit that humans are not able to function without regulation. That puts a HUGE hole in the free market argument, so that's why you see people line up on political sides with this issue, then falsely interpret regional fluxuations as proof that the science is wrong.

Really folks, there's no real scientific debate that the climate is warming. The only debate is how much impact humans are having on it.
And the vast majority of scientists say the impact is negligible. It certainly does not rise to the level of a five alarm emergency.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
That Key West link sheds alot of light on the accuracy, and veracity of the "data" being logged. How can any of this type of data be used to prove anything at all? When it is just as likely to be totally erroneous as is it accurate..........

This alone is grounds to go "back to the drawing board" on the entire subject, IMHO....

Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The plumes coming from those stacks consist almost entirely of water vapor.

Hard to tell from that picture because it's so small but I'd imagine it would similar to this one:

This picture by the photographers own admission used a setting on the camera that actually makes the water vapor clouds look dark. That's why the top of the stack in the very forefront is so dark. The wide cooling stacks that you will also see at nuclear plants to the front and rear where the most voluminous "smoke" is coming from is made up entirely of water vapor. The only stacks that have any emissions are the tall skinny ones to the right. That too is water vapor as one form of pollution control is called a wet scrubber which will produce steam. Ironic but what most people think is pollution is in fact pollution control.
Thanks for the explanation. Fortunately my advanced schooling allows me to understand 1. Advanced photography techniques and the various ways to manipulate them, and 2. When a company is emiting toxic fumes. I actually prefer to rely upon the data in Toxic Chemical Release Inventory. The data has been extracted from the Toxic Release Inventory System (TRIS) and unless you have something more accurate it seems like as good a place to start as any.

While I have no doubt there are pollution controls in place, I am unjaded by the propensity of the offender's constant finagling to avoid any measure that adds culpability or the hint of regulation. History thus far is a fine example of the nature of the beast.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:16 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,827 times
Quote:
The comforting think is that the troglodytes in the Republican Party are going to lose this fight. Waxman Markey has passed the House. Reid will get something through in the Senate after August recess. All the Luddite cries of the sky is falling have failed. The claims of scientific opposition and global cooling are laughably pathetic.
Hey its my old buddy... rlchurch...

Michael Crichton: "State of Fear, a near-hysterical preoccupation with safety that’s at best a waste of resources and a crimp on the human spirit, and at worst an invitation to totalitarianism"

Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You actually believe The Goreacle and his predictions? Tell me when have ANY of their predictions come to fruition.
President Obama.

lol.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies