Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
Nothing you wrote here has anything to do with anything I wrote. You made false accusations about what the President said, and I pointed out what was false about them. Now you are using a silly analogy in an attempt (I assume) to show that the President should apologize. Do you allege he should apologize for the things you falsely accused him of doing, or is there something else?
I did not falsely accuse him of doing anything. I simply stated he said the cop acted stupidly which is to say he is stupid for doing his job I suppose. Fact is and bottom line is if the professor had not wigged out like some sort of harvard hot shot he would not have gotten into trouble and then he had to keep on and on making a racist conflict out of nothing but the officer performing his duty. Most people would have said oh I'm sorry officer, I locked myself out. Wouldn[t happen to have a number for a locksmith would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I never alleged that this incident involved racial profiling, or that the caller was wrong in making the call. Indeed, I have expressed that she was right to do so, and that I do not believe this was a case of racism. In fact, I have stated that I believe the professor overreacted and wrongly made it race issue.
Sorry if it seems as if I directed all my comments at you. I didn't. I quoted you and only what I wrote below the quote was in answer to your post. Then I continued to write.

I also don't think there's a big conspiracy or accused the president of planting the question (although I have my suspicions) I only stated that it was odd that a press conference about health care reform ended with a short speech on racial profiling in America. Maybe it's because at this time health care is more important to me. In any case, it caused too much of a distraction from the subject. Also, since Obama has a personal connection to Gates, it was inappropriate. As I said before .... just my opinion.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,934,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Right. I'm sure he'll trot them out, hand and hand, claiming how his leadership has just solved the racial divide.

Only one problem; it was his ignorant comments that escalated the incident.
Obama made a bonehead remark unbecoming of a President but his blind sheep will give him a pass anyways.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:08 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,934 times
I think all three of them (Gates, Crowley and Obama) acted stupidly but not to the point that I can say I think any of it was an unforgivable mistake. To error is human....lest some people forget.

My family works in law enforcement and I have to agree that Crowley should have just walked away. Gates was after all throwing his hissy fit in his own home. Not in a public area.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM

216 posts, read 290,800 times
OP is correct in that the President is refreshing compared to past eight years.

President Obama's use of the word “stupidly” is the only thing that could have been worded differently which the President agreed. The word "stupidly" could be replaced with the words "abuse of authority". For some people police officers can do no wrong, however, too often the police abuse their authority especially when it comes to minorities. This is not something made up, but factual. So I can see the President reaching this conclusion based on the available information and I saw nothing wrong with the President's comment. Maybe those who are not at the receiving end of this abuse are unable to envision this as a possibility. I don't believe that some people are dealing with their core concern, but spending too much time beating around the brush with trivial crap. President Obama's remarks should have used to create an important discussion on police vs. minorities or race relations, but instead got stuck on stupid. I feel that some police officers have traded their white Klan uniform for a police uniform with a badge for targeting a certain segment of society. This abuse of authority is an issue that has been overlooked by previous Presidents, but it needs to be addressed. I would be greatly disappointed if the President backed down and apologized for his comment. Flashback, when is it right to run down a person down with a police car, when is it right for a group of police officers to beat a person being arrested, when is it okay for the police to choke another man, when is it okay to shoot a young unarmed college student in the head, when is it okay to shoot an handcuffed man in the back, when is it okay to be found dead in a jail cell because the police know this person didn't commit the crime, when, when, when!!!

Why is 61% of the prison population is made up of minorities. Did the "War on Crime" or "Three Strikes rule" meant war on minority! And you're raising hell, please!
President Obama should create a division of government to oversee the police departments ensuring that everyone is treated equally.

Last edited by KatinNJ; 07-27-2009 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Right. I'm sure he'll trot them out, hand and hand, claiming how his leadership has just solved the racial divide.

Only one problem; it was his ignorant comments that escalated the incident.
bammers could cut one in church and the 'bots would be praising his brilliance in fanning away the stink with his hand.
go figure.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
70 posts, read 74,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I did not falsely accuse him of doing anything. I simply stated he said the cop acted stupidly which is to say he is stupid for doing his job I suppose.
No, I asked you to "indicate exactly which statement in his discussion of the matter 'exposed Obama for his own prejudices,'" as you alleged. Then, in post number 107, you responded:

"You know...The one where he called them stupid before he had the facts...He just naturally assumed this was a black man of stature and these dumb ass everyday working class of people cops that didn't have an Ivy league education were being racist."

Your two false accusations were as follows: First, you alleged that the President "called [the police] stupid," not the truthful fact that he said they "acted stupidly" in this case, as you now indicate. There is an astronomical difference between the two, as the former implies a low opinion of the police officers and their character, not a critique of their actions in this particular case. Second, you imply the President looked down on the police and that he indicated they were racists, while from the very beginning, he expressed the opposite beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Fact is and bottom line is if the professor had not wigged out like some sort of harvard hot shot he would not have gotten into trouble and then he had to keep on and on making a racist conflict out of nothing but the officer performing his duty. Most people would have said oh I'm sorry officer, I locked myself out. Wouldn[t happen to have a number for a locksmith would you?
I don't disagree with you on this one; however, this doesn't negate the fact that Officer Crowley overreacted, as well. Similarly, the President's choice of wording was offensive, though the literal meaning was appropriate. The word "unwisely," though it bears nearly identical meaning to "stupidly," would have been far less offensive because of the way contemporary society commonly uses the word "stupid." It generally holds derogatory connotations.

My only reason for picking apart your statements as I have is to show that we cannot use language recklessly. Even subtle changes in wording can drastically transform meaning. It isn't fair to the subjects of the conversation, or to the readers, as it is grossly misleading and dishonest, even if this is not user's intention. At the very least, it can cause unintended offense, as illustrated by the President's own poor choice of wording. Your offense, however, was in attaching meaning and motive to such wording that did not exist in an unjustified attempt to show that the President holds "prejudice."

Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 AM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Sorry if it seems as if I directed all my comments at you. I didn't. I quoted you and only what I wrote below the quote was in answer to your post.
You've no need to apologize - no offense taken. In the absence of facial expressions, eye movement, etc. written forums can be very confusing. Emoticons can only do so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I also don't think there's a big conspiracy or accused the president of planting the question (although I have my suspicions) I only stated that it was odd that a press conference about health care reform ended with a short speech on racial profiling in America. Maybe it's because at this time health care is more important to me. In any case, it caused too much of a distraction from the subject. Also, since Obama has a personal connection to Gates, it was inappropriate. As I said before .... just my opinion.
I hear you when it comes to the distraction from health care, and other important issues, as well. The media just can't seem to stop pandering to entertainment gluttons who aren't interested in crucial issues that will determine our future. No disrespect to the recently departed, but if one more celebrity dies, we're doomed.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Obama made a bonehead remark unbecoming of a President but his blind sheep will give him a pass anyways.
I'm sure there are blind followers of Obama, just as there have been with every president. But to lump everyone who approves of him into a category of ignorance isn't fair. We aren't "blind," and we are not "sheep." Many of us don't share your disapproval of him simply because we don't share your worldview, or your vision of a better future. If we all wanted the same thing, we would have only one political party, with one platform. But, that's the wonderful thing about a democracy. We all have the right to our views, and to pursue our own ideal of a better world. Your sweeping, derogatory remarks concerning all who do not share your views are uncalled for.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
bammers could cut one in church and the 'bots would be praising his brilliance in fanning away the stink with his hand.
go figure.
Your comment is counterproductive, divisive, malicious, and frankly, juvenile. What did you hope to accomplish by writing this? The only purpose it serves is to insult those with whom you disagree politically. Is this what you intended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies