Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:08 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

The cost of healthcare is so expensive that many are choosing to have there surgery completed overseas in places like India and the UK. But we don't have a problem with the cost of our healthcare do we.

Medical Tourism Corporation - Medical Travel Company - Health Tourism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Mexico and Thailand too. You can get top quality medical treatment, and the cost of that plus a nice vacation can be the same as for just the treatment here.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I get my dental work done in Thailand.
The trip over and dental work is cheaper than in the US (for a crown).
Plus I get a holiday.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Plus I get a holiday.
That is where I am going.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,292,229 times
but guys our system is near perfect, thats why some many countries have switched to our system...ohh wait...

Old 07-26-2009, 02:44 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Plus I get a holiday.
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I thought you lived in the UK and had UHC. Why would you have to go to Thailand to get dental work?

Old 07-26-2009, 02:51 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The cost of healthcare is so expensive that many are choosing to have there surgery completed overseas in places like India and the UK. But we don't have a problem with the cost of our healthcare do we.

Medical Tourism Corporation - Medical Travel Company - Health Tourism

It is great until you have a complication. Try finding a doc in the US who would agree to take over someone else's complications. It is the same for people who get treatment out of state.

Also, believe it or not, the US medical boards and certification process are difficult (as are the Canadian and British systems). Having seen foriegn trained docs practicing in the US (and these are supposed to be thier best), there is alot to be desired. I would not have a foriegn trained doc treat me, having seen many at work. That being said, the non-US docs with US training are like everyone else, so it is not xenophobia at work, it is a quality issue.

Now some of these foriegn hospitals actually have US trained docs and staff at a cheaper price. Then it becomes an issue of deductibles here vs travel expenses and the problem with treating complications and follow up. I have had two patients call up our practice to treat wound infections incurred in surgery overseas. I told them to go back to the surgeon. I don't expect any one else to clean up a mess I made. In those situations there is potential litigation, and you will drag yourself into someone else's problem.

Further, if you were not good enough in the patient's eyes to do the surgery in the first place, you are certainly not qualified to treat a complication, which is always more difficult. Caveat Empor. A patient who goes overseas and seeking "higher level of care" clearly does not understand the foriegn literature (bad- that is why lumbar prosthetic discs were wonderful in europe, while good science in the US showed they were a bust) and would be a difficult patient to treat in the first place. Best to ship them elsewhere anyway, as they are never happy with anyone.

Also is the legal issue. What are the malpractice laws in that nation? If one has an adverse event, can you sue them in that nation, as you surely cannot sue them in US courts. There is the problem. Any doc in the US who treats the complications from overseas risks being dragged into a problem they did not create because we are an easier target for the lawyers. Also, the FDA does not have authority overseas. Non FDA approved drugs can be used, which may be potentially risky and have negative consequences. Everyone ******* about the FDA, but they are very stringent relative to other countries. Remember thalidomide? We make a huge issue over drugs like Vioxx, but these situations occur overseas all the time, as the pharmaceutical industry usually releases drugs overseas first, as thier drug approval is easier. We are often in a position to sit back and see how these drugs work and essentially use the rest of the world as guinea pigs before release in the US. bad for them- good for us.

Lastly is the fraudulent medical treatment, particularly for cancer. We eventually ferret out fraudulent treatment in the US, but it flourishes outside of the US. Know about Steve McQueen's coffee enemas for bowel cancer? How about Farrah Fawcett? Ever see one of these treatments work? It can be a racket that is highly profitable, but useless.

I recently had some pricey medical treatment. I chose to stay in my hometown for treatment, as I know the quality of care is high and I did not want to even travel in the US, knowing what I know about people who get care out of town. It would be different if the care was bad. I am able to afford to pay out of pocket for pretty much anything I want, but would never dream of seeking treatment overseas. But if someone is strapped for cash and they are willing to take the complication risk, overseas treatment is certainly an option. Most of the time I would expect things would turn out fine. Maybe that "competition" may force down costs of care in the US and in the end be a good thing.

caveat empor.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:16 PM

I have had two patients call up our practice to treat wound infections incurred in surgery overseas. I told them to go back to the surgeon.
"Quote"

Nice. So you told someone with an infection to travel back overseas to have it treated. I guess post operative infections never occur in the U.S.? When they happen in California they don't usually make them fly back to New York to be treated do they. Sounds like you are trying to make someone pay for using the free market system. Poster child for what is wrong with the Health Care Industry.

Most people would never believe that a doctor would do such a thing. Thanks for the enlightening post.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:04 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Around 15K for a kidney in Manila.
Tooth implants $150.
Ultrasound $4.
$12. Hospital room cost for 1 day.
Root canal $35
Root canal WITH novocain $36. But you have to ask.
Fatty tumor removal $35. Ditto the novocain.
Beer - $.50

Sounds like health care a party.
Lets go!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Around 15K for a kidney in Manila.
Tooth implants $150.
Ultrasound $4.
$12. Hospital room cost for 1 day.
Root canal $35
Root canal WITH novocain $36. But you have to ask.
Fatty tumor removal $35. Ditto the novocain.
Beer - $.50

Sounds like health care a party.
Lets go!
I think i will pay extra for the novocain. The beer is great there. San Miguel, but don't drink the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies