Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

351 posts, read 375,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Cite evidence that 'thousands die in America each year because they have no health coverage.'
If you have been following the health threads on here you will see threads with evidence of roughly 26,000 americans dying each year because of no health cover.

Update: Man who couldn’t get insurance loses cancer battle – Paging Dr. Gupta - CNN.com Blogs

Here is just one of many articles or "evidence" as you call it. If you want more, go look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
The UK has a thriving private insurance industry, so does Canada and nearly every other uhc Country.

As a vet i'm sure you are thrilled at the terrible health system that our wounded guys now get back here in the USA because of badly funded and badly thought outr Hospitals. This is because of the split health system in the USA. I know many wounded vets in other Countries with a uhc that get exceptional treatment. Our guys do not because our vets get what can only be described as charity care. With fully funded Govt hospitals in the USA, our wounded soldiers would get the same exceptional care as is given in uhc Countries.
Yes i fought for freedom not freedom only if you can afford it.
"Yes i fought for freedom not freedom only if you can afford it."

Our oath was to defend our country from its' enemies and to defend the Constitution, not for its' citizens health care insurance.

I've been out of the service for a long time but I thought wounded soldiers were given care by the department of defense hospitals until they were able to leave active duty.

I use the VA too and I haven't seen any wounded soldiers there.

But you have me thinking about them now and the care they get.

I do know you cannot be on active duty and use a VA hospital...

The DOD has a contract with a local major hospital for those on active duty in the Houston area..

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would guess that you are in favor of public option that would lead to the death of the health insurance companies.

I would also guess that the government being in control of all health insurance and therefore, health care from the top to the bottom would be a good thing. You don't mind seeing Emanuel type of age rationing? I really don't think you have looked very far from the end of your nose, but you surely aren't alone.

How do you propose to pay for all this? We have the stimulus act to pay for along with the interest caused by that kind of borrowing. We know that this health program will cost over $1 trillion the first ten years, and that is if they don't even pay for those meds for people. Do you think the government should take over manufacture of meds? Too many questions to be answered and those Congress leaders aren't looking at any of them.
The last time I checked you were getting your insurance off of the govt. teat....medicare. So it is o.k. for you to have it but no one else. Is that what you are saying?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Why should taxpayers pay through the nose to give everyone 'free' health care, if we will still need to pay for private insurance on top of that?
I've paid taxes nearly 40 years so I know there is no such thing as free. I sincerely believe if the proper no BS plan is passed in congress where the cost is evenly applied across the board to everyone, not just the wealthy and or employers, the cost or monthly premium will drop significantly for most Americans and the risk Americans take everyday using the current system. I'm convinced of it.

What Obama is doing is having his cake and eating it too. Another words he's proposing a plan that will allow the insurance companies free reign in profits like always at the expense of American middle class. Nothing wrong with profits, they're great, but not in this case, it's getting out of control. Obama is just eating at the edges and it is pathetic and truly transparent.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I would guess that you are in favor of public option that would lead to the death of the health insurance companies.
The CBO has looked at this.
The Congressional Budget Office is disputing recent estimates by the Lewin Group that more than 100 million people would end up enrolling in the America's Affordable Health Choices Act's proposed public health plan.

The analysis of coverage options in the sweeping bill sponsored by House Democrats was requested by Rep. David Camp (R-Mich.), ranking member of the House Ways and Means Committee.

The CBO projected that about 10 million to 11 million individuals would be enrolled in the public option by 2019. “For several reasons, we anticipate that our estimate of the number of enrollees in the public plan would be substantially smaller than the Lewin Group's,” the report stated.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Why should taxpayers pay through the nose to give everyone 'free' health care, if we will still need to pay for private insurance on top of that?
UHC will not be free....I do think we need to do something about how we pay for health care. And I don't think anyone should get a free ride on someones back, everyone should pay something..

Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The last time I checked you were getting your insurance off of the govt. teat....medicare. So it is o.k. for you to have it but no one else. Is that what you are saying?
People pay into medicare thru their payroll every payday for as long as they work..No teat sucking there... Are you thinking of medicaid?

Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The CBO has looked at this.
The Congressional Budget Office is disputing recent estimates by the Lewin Group that more than 100 million people would end up enrolling in the America's Affordable Health Choices Act's proposed public health plan.

The analysis of coverage options in the sweeping bill sponsored by House Democrats was requested by Rep. David Camp (R-Mich.), ranking member of the House Ways and Means Committee.

The CBO projected that about 10 million to 11 million individuals would be enrolled in the public option by 2019. “For several reasons, we anticipate that our estimate of the number of enrollees in the public plan would be substantially smaller than the Lewin Group's,” the report stated.
Little tidbit. THe lewin group the "independent think tank" is actually owned by United Health Insurance. A little tidbit that they neglected to tell anyone. This is how the health insurance companies get their propoganda out...by cover of darkness. Evil, evil people.

Lewin group linked to private insurers : Covering Health

Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Little tidbit. THe lewin group the "independent think tank" is actually owned by United Health Insurance. A little tidbit that they neglected to tell anyone. This is how the health insurance companies get their propoganda out...by cover of darkness. Evil, evil people.

Lewin group linked to private insurers : Covering Health
Ingenious and insidious at the same time.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM

439 posts, read 443,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
If you have been following the health threads on here you will see threads with evidence of roughly 26,000 americans dying each year because of no health cover.

Update: Man who couldn’t get insurance loses cancer battle – Paging Dr. Gupta - CNN.com Blogs

Here is just one of many articles or "evidence" as you call it. If you want more, go look it up.

From your article: "After 16 major surgeries, radiation treatments and chemo treatments"

And this is the guy who died because he didn't get treated due to no insurance?

It sounds like they did about everything they could.

Anyway, if you count him , that's 1.

You've got a long way to go to prove 'thousands'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies