Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think so. See attached article.

100 Years of Medical Robbery - Dale Steinreich - Mises Institute

For those that don't believe the AMA is a union, you may be unaware that most doctors are not employees of hospitals, but independent Contractors. The amount that doctors are paid is based in no small part on how much the federal government pays for Medicaid, Medicare. The AMA lobbys on behalf of the Doctors with the federal government (quasi employer) for better payment in these programs. This is the classical definition of a union. And the AMA does more, oh so much more. Don't believe me look at their website.

American Medical Association
The AMA is not a union, but an association charged with setting standards for all medical doctors. It represents less than 20% of all practicing doctors, so it can hardly be classified a "union".

Unlike teachers' unions, the AMA is a national association. Individual states determine whether teachers can unionize, but doctors cannot unionize at all.

Lobby,...yes.

Union,...NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Actually the ABA is not a union as it does not lobby for better pay for lawyers with anyone.
Try practicing law without membership.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
I guess the american federation of teachers is not a union either? Please read the article to understand the union before you say that they are not.
i did read it that was the reason for my post. did you see the question mark on my post, this means i am asking not telling.
as to doctors and AMA, 60% of MD's are self employed, see link. so calling it a union is questionable no?. hence the title ameican medical association not american medical union.
Work in America: A-M - Google Books

Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
A friend of mine used to work for Bob Dole back in the 80's when he was Senate Majority Leader. She worked right in the Capitol. She was always going on trips and to events paid for and sponsored by the AMA.

Yep, they've got DC in their pocket.

That's why they can give you 15 minutes of their time, ask you a few questions, schedule some tests, and charge you $368 just for that visit.

That's a real number. I took my daughter to a gastroenterologist in the spring. That was the cost of the "consultant" visit. The endoscopy and colonoscopies were much more, of course, and in the end she pronounced that all-encompassing diagnosis you get when they have no idea what is wrong: "IBS" (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I am not making this up. I've talked to about five other people--no results of anything from the tests--you have IBS.

Subsequently, my teenager did some googling on the Internet, realized her symptoms matched those of a senstitivity to wheat, cut all gluten products out of her diet, and she is completely better. The doctor never even suggested that there might be a dietary reason.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:00 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
The AMA is not a union, but an association charged with setting standards for all medical doctors. .
Who charged them with this responsibility? Did you read the link?

Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Who charged them with this responsibility? Did you read the link?
Yes,...I read the link. Anyone who inisists that less than 20% of ALL medical professionals make a union is a little off balance.

That are many proffesional associations that police their own. Auctioneers, plumbers, realtors, lawyers, CPAs,...and the list goes on, and on, and on. I know the difference between an association with a strong lobby and a union.

Some do not.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Really I though it was the IBEW or the Teachers union?

Old 07-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Yes,...I read the link. Anyone who inisists that less than 20% of ALL medical professionals make a union is a little off balance.

That are many proffesional associations that police their own. Auctioneers, plumbers, realtors, lawyers, CPAs,...and the list goes on, and on, and on. I know the difference between an association with a strong lobby and a union.

Some do not.
Well please define union, since you know and some do not.

You did not answer my question. Who charged the AMA with setting the standards to getting into med. school? How does the AMA police their own?

FYI. There are plumbers unions. I don't know about the remaining.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Some do not.
Obviously. "AMA enters the world of collective bargaining"

AMA calls for doctors' unions | Academe | Find Articles at BNET

Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM

[quote=Mightyqueen801;10022170]A friend of mine used to work for Bob Dole back in the 80's when he was Senate Majority Leader. She worked right in the Capitol. She was always going on trips and to events paid for and sponsored by the AMA.

I doubt that is unusaul..unethical, probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies